Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 11:19 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times

Advertisements

I'd say half of it comes from the culture of oversharing promoted by things like Facebook and Twitter, where people can post the tiniest details of their lives in real time under the assumption that the whole world cares, and the other half is a case of "those who don't do, screech."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,527 times
Watch Saturday Night Live: Patio Lovers online | Free | Hulu

I love this running skit they did.
It's also funny because the goat meat thing sounds awesome, like using whipped cream

Old 10-07-2012, 11:48 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Same here to the first poster, I lost a couple friends this way. I do not need to hear every detail of how you blew Johnny or the first ****.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,934 times
Me and my friends talk about sex with each other--we don't get into detail, but we might say "Oh it's been a while since I've done anything with George(fake name lol)" or when we've been drunk we've been known to express how excited we are to get home and get some(though it's usually expressed much more vulgarly). But we've never gone into real detail about what is done in the bedroom. None of us feel like we're oversharing though.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:13 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
Me and my friends talk about sex with each other--we don't get into detail, but we might say "Oh it's been a while since I've done anything with George(fake name lol)" or when we've been drunk we've been known to express how excited we are to get home and get some(though it's usually expressed much more vulgarly). But we've never gone into real detail about what is done in the bedroom. None of us feel like we're oversharing though.
See, that's not considered oversharing. I had similar events with my classmates, "I haven't gotten anything from my BF in a month" but I do not want every single explicit detail...

Old 10-07-2012, 01:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
This reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live skit with John Larroquette, Victoria Jackson, Nora Dunn, and Phil Hartmann. Couldn't find it online, but I did find a transcript. It parodies this exact phenomenon.

transcript

Old 10-07-2012, 01:52 PM

221 posts, read 282,929 times
It's a sign of times. It's like many people think Facebook translates into real life, and it infects many aspects of life, not just bragging about the sex life. Too many people think their personal stories are way more interesting than they are. Unfortunately, many of them want everyone else to be interested, even if they are telling them in an inappropriate forum, and get offended if the listeners simply are not interested, or it's irrelevant and wasting time.

I'd get a lot more work done if "customers" weren't constantly holding me hostage telling me their "situations", about their health status, the health status of their family, their financial status. It's information I don't need to know, doesn't complete the task and hand, and I personally resent it.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Luckily all of our friends know that I am NOT into PDA and those things so any mention at all of personal sexual experiences are more hints at but not graphic details of if they are mentioned at all. As friends we respect each others likes and dislikes when it comes to open discussions and graphic details of personal sexual encounters and preferance. Besides now all of our friends are married and this is just not a topic we discuss when together, we have way too many other more important things to discuss like what's for supper, the last recipe tried and how it turned out, how are the grand children, etc. etc, you know, real life, real important stuff.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
if it's literally a couple that is doing the over-sharing (most of this thread seems to focus on women's locker room type talk) i often wonder if they are feeling out the waters for a bit of soft swinging or something

Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Can't disagree with a word OP, not much to add. It's not that I'm a Victorian moralist or something, it's just that I don't find it interesting or appropriate to spill your private business to the world like it's popcorn or something. That goes for any private topic, not just sex.

Bleh.

I feel so old sometimes lol. Waiting on the arthritis in my joints now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships