Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I'm no "10" of Men nor with a whole lot of $$, that perfect paying job, etc,...., but I still have confidence.

I am who I am if someone doesn't like me for who and what I am it's their loss - that's how I approach society.
Me, too. Honestly - I think that's how everyone should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 03:16 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
Quote:
If a man is good-looking, witty and charming, confidence can make the difference between his impressing a woman or not.
You have this all backwards.

If a man has all the attributes you listed (and VERY few men have all three), then the chances are overwhelming they are also confident. Few handsome, charming and witty men lack confidence, but there are some. The point is, it wouldn't matter if they lacked confidence under these circumstances, they more than make up for it by the other things they bring to the table.

In any case, confidence is overrated on this Forum. It's not an attribute anyone can learn, you just ARE confident or not. It's innate and can't be taught or feigned. No one ever talks about how to pull most women: LISTEN to them. Make them laugh, make them seem like they are the center of the universe. That is game. Confidence wouldn't even be the map if a man could effortlessly do the things I listed.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:07 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
You have this all backwards.

If a man has all the attributes you listed (and VERY few men have all three), then the chances are overwhelming they are also confident. Few handsome, charming and witty men lack confidence, but there are some. The point is, it wouldn't matter if they lacked confidence under these circumstances, they more than make up for it by the other things they bring to the table.

In any case, confidence is overrated on this Forum. It's not an attribute anyone can learn, you just ARE confident or not. It's innate and can't be taught or feigned. No one ever talks about how to pull most women: LISTEN to them. Make them laugh, make them seem like they are the center of the universe. That is game. Confidence wouldn't even be the map if a man could effortlessly do the things I listed.
Chances are, those handsome, good looking men without confidence have probably just stumbled onto it.

My "good looks" are newfound. LOL!!!

But I'm not sure that I agree with you about confidence. I do believe that confidence can be gained. While I'm pretty sure that I myself can't just "get confident" without any basis, I'm not exactly sure about this "either you are confident or not." Please elaborate.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:53 PM

73 posts, read 215,104 times
In terms of attracting women, I would say confidence can certainly help, but being confident will never replace looks in initial attraction. For example, I knew a guy in college who was about 5' 7" and definitely over 300 pounds and looked it; he was what one would call overweight or obese. However, he had a certain charm and charisma when it came to dealing with people: he was a resident assistant, served as president of many student clubs, and was very well known on campus. He was dating a girl whom most would probably consider out of "his league". On the flip side, another friend of mine is very conventionally good looking; tall, chiseled jaw, toned muscles and abs. However, he lacked confidence and was very quiet and shy. At almost every party we were at he would end up taking a girl home at the end of the night; usually the girls would approach him first and chat him up. He even admitted to me when he was drunk that he "had no idea why these hot girls liked [him]". So I would say that confidence/charisma can certainly help an unattractive man, but if you have the looks you're good to go, regardless of confidence.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
If a man is good-looking, witty and charming, confidence can make the difference between his impressing a woman or not.
Problem is, as a man, even if you posses wit and charm, 98 times out of 100 it won't mean a thing unless you are good-looking. Confidence usually doesn't have anything to do with it.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:13 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG4576 View Post
Problem is, as a man, even if you posses wit and charm, 98 times out of 100 it won't mean a thing unless you are good-looking. Confidence usually doesn't have anything to do with it.
Great post, for your first post. The ONLY way to get around that problem is to have $$$$$ and, even then, a man's grip is tentative.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,216 times
9/10 a "confident" man is faking it and it's easy to tell. At least I can tell it all the time when it's a show (gotta act confident to get this chick) and it's pretty funny every single time.

And yes, just like everything in life confidence is one of many factors and those factors depend on the girl. Even the type of confidence she likes depends on her. There is no one size fits all recipe for getting every girl on the planet and there never will be.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
We hear all the time how women find confident man attractive. But frankly, I think a lot of men have been oversold on this whole "be confident" business. Yes, confident people are more attractiveness than people who lack confidence. And yes, some people have plenty going for them, but lack the confidence to make the connections they want with others.

But the truth is, confidence only becomes a factor when a man has lots of other things going for him. If a man is good-looking, witty and charming, confidence can make the difference between his impressing a woman or not. But if a man is unattractive, inarticulate and socially awkward, no amount of confidence is going to help him overcome those limitations. In fact, an unappealing man brimming with confidence is more likely to strike women as creepy than desirable.

Am I wrong?
Your logic. How can you have confidence if you are inarticulate and socially awkward? Confidence implies being articulate and not socially awkward.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Confidence goes very far. There are too many women out there working two jobs and has a guy sitting at home, smoking weed, and waiting for his rap career to take off. And guys doing this aren't going to be on GQ anytime soon, and they aren't rocking 6 packs. I've seen confidence keep situations like this go on for 5 years.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:25 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Confidence goes very far. There are too many women out there working two jobs and has a guy sitting at home, smoking weed, and waiting for his rap career to take off. And guys doing this aren't going to be on GQ anytime soon, and they aren't rocking 6 packs. I've seen confidence keep situations like this go on for 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships