Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times

Advertisements

Your thesis is very confusing. Is it about the prevalence of texting versus talking on the phone, or some weird concern about the incidence of getting stood up related to texting versus talking on the phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Hmm, well i used to be one of those incessant phone chatters. And once in a blue moon now I will have a long phone conversation.

But these days. I don't believe in texting in lieu of conversation. And I don't have text conversations. 2 or 3 texts and I am done with the conversation. [I don't like chat either :P. I used to but something changed.]

Basically I like to use all short form communication to schedule in person conversation.

And a phone conversation in lieu of in person if there is distance.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:08 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I wouldn't date anyone that I had not talked to at least a few times by phone. You can tell a whole lot more about a person talking to them as opposed to getting a text.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:15 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Why? Because we are creating a generation of people who are losing the ability to interact with another human being. I see it more and more every day.
All you are seeing is a new form of interaction that you don't understand. I'll bet a hundred years ago the old codgers were ranting and raving that phone conversations are impersonal and not real interaction.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
I just finished communicating with a woman I hope to see sometime next week by text. Then I looked at all of the dates I have been on this year, and I told myself "I did not call any of them to set anything up, I basically communicated with them through text". I'm in my late 20's so I wouldn't say I am old school. However, I remember back in high school and in college, actually calling girls and having these long conversations at night that lasted over 4 hours or more. It was so exciting. I do not think the term "flake" was a common word when it came to dating back then. I think the main reason why women flake and avoid dates at alarming rates these days is because of attraction level. You really can't get a woman to be completely attracted to you if you just communicate by sending texts. There is just something different now.

Has communication by SMS replaced communication over the phone? Do you think this change has made dating more of a numbers game? What I mean is back then, by talking to a woman over the phone for hours, there was a slim chance one will be stood up. These days since everyone has smartphones and mobile devices women can simply get out of a date whenever they feel like it for whatever reason and without a care in the word since they really dont know the person they are dating.
I am WAY older than you but I know what you're saying and agree completely. I find it so much better to have a lengthy phone conversation to get a sense of who I am about to meet rather than a few words of text. Texting is fine if you need to convey some last minute update (running late, flat tire...) but to get a picture of a real person it is a lame way indeed. I think that the art of conversation is dying and the rise of texting may well be why. Although you can't see the other person's face during a phone conversation, you can hear inflection, emphasis, hesitation and many other qualities that help formulate opinions. It requires an immediate response with no chance to edit and is a much more accurate measure of the other person. Don't give up your phone if you really want to know who you are going to meet.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
All you are seeing is a new form of interaction that you don't understand. I'll bet a hundred years ago the old codgers were ranting and raving that phone conversations are impersonal and not real interaction.
What's not to understand about texting? It is impersonal. It's just typed words. The feeling and meaning behind it can be easily obscured or misinterpreted. It might be quick and convenient, but it's not a great substitute for having social skills and the ability to communicate verbally with others, whether on the phone or in person.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Seems like yet another thread to attack texters and people who aren't very social. you can always find people who aren't text happy whether than complain about them.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:45 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
It requires an immediate response with no chance to edit and is a much more accurate measure of the other person.
Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. Not everyone is a natural conversationalist and impulsive words out of the mouth are not always an accurate reflection. A person may be insanely intelligent yet sound like a moron because they talk slow and don't rattle off trivial details. A quiet person may be drowned out by a chatty person. A fast talking rapper might sound witty and actually be ignorant. Just because you don't have the quick wit of an improv comedian doesn't mean you have no sense of humor.

This required immediate response is precisely why many prefer text.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. Not everyone is a natural conversationalist and impulsive words out of the mouth are not always an accurate reflection. A person may be insanely intelligent yet sound like a moron because they talk slow and don't rattle off trivial details. A quiet person may be drowned out by a chatty person. A fast talking rapper might sound witty and actually be ignorant. Just because you don't have the quick wit of an improv comedian doesn't mean you have no sense of humor.

This required immediate response is precisely why many prefer text.
Yup this is definitely me

Old 10-09-2012, 06:44 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,646 times
Quote:
What's not to understand about texting? It is impersonal. It's just typed words.
Thank you. And the people here who have never gotten laid and spend endless hours here desperately asking:

Am I hot?
Am I gorgeous?

Am I worthy??

...Need to ask themselves if they are merely texting strangers or actually have face time and phone time before going on a date. Texting is the ciphers way to romance. A man or woman with ANY semblance of game does it all face to face or on the phone. End of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships