Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,168,999 times

Advertisements

I've already told mother expect me to not marry and just adopt two kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 06:38 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
Right now the trend line for marriage is downward, and I'm sure it will continue for a reason that nobody has mentioned. Divorce laws and courts are very much weighed in favor of the wife. Because of this, there is a growing trend of men who have no interest in getting married and then cleaned out by the exwife years later. Not only that but in many men's opinions, women change after marriage, and you don't get what you bargained for. Many see women as self centered people who expect the whole family to cater to what they want and what makes me happy. The "if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody going to be happy thing". Lots of men don't want to be a doormat for their wife, so they say no to marriage.

Now don't flame me, I'm just reporting what I see going on.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:33 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Right now the trend line for marriage is downward, and I'm sure it will continue for a reason that nobody has mentioned. Divorce laws and courts are very much weighed in favor of the wife. Because of this, there is a growing trend of men who have no interest in getting married and then cleaned out by the exwife years later. Not only that but in many men's opinions, women change after marriage, and you don't get what you bargained for. Many see women as self centered people who expect the whole family to cater to what they want and what makes me happy. The "if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody going to be happy thing". Lots of men don't want to be a doormat for their wife, so they say no to marriage.

Statistically it's women who are bucking the marriage trend but don't let reality get in the way of your biased, misogynistic views

Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
I only see the decline continuing in our lifetimes.

Agree or disagree?
Agree. I think the rate will decline for a while then bottom out and stay stagnant.

I would hope the reason is that people are carefully considering the ramifications of marriage and deciding that ultimately a LTR or not marrying right away may be more benefical for their wants and needs. I think if there is one thing that is perfectly fine to overthink, it is getting married.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,907,951 times
The decline of marriage is directly related to the rise of. . .

narcissism within a culture that sees a decline in marriage. In any society and/or culture where lack of empathy and compassion (in general) along with a rise in the power of the state* and a diminishing adherance to what use to be social morals and ethics will ultimately lead to a decline in an institution that requires far more than any two people joined together could be strong enough to maintain on their own.

*As noted: a rise in the power of the state. The same state that certifies marriage licenses also works directly against maintaining marriage in the sense that their is no direct benefit for either party (man or woman) to get married when the state through the power of taxation as well as enforcement of child support laws enables a woman to have an equal quality of life or better than she could have while being married along with every other aspect of life being regulated, controlled and even financed through the taxing power of the state - and the effects on what use to be a mutually beneficial union between two people that in most cases, procreated and maintained that union because a higher cause (the offspring) kept them together far longer than they normally would have without the children.

Also, important to add. I think in the coming decades (at least in the US) - marriage as currently legally defined in 2012 will only involve the higher economic classes (top 4%) in which a man is able to afford to still maintain the traditional roles previously percieved as normal in terms of marriage and that will include being a provider, a wife that stays at home in some capacity to raise the children, the ability to provide for the children well into adulthood (including funding college while the remaining 90 - 96% of the population increasingly uses governent aid), as well as retirement for both spouses in the absence of divorce being a practical possibility. There will more than likely be a select segment of citizens that will still see a benefit in marriage but the majority will by that time have learned to live off of the state through the myriad of different ways that are evolving that make marriage obsolete. And as a result, the concept surrounding romantic love will cease to exist for classes that cannot afford such a luxury and abstain from it.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
I actually don't see this in my social circle. What I do see is that people are marrying in their late 20's and 30's. Most of my friends got married in the last few years when they were in their early to mid 30's. I just see people taking their time and not getting married until they have really found the right person.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post

Of course you're going to get flamed by the feminazis on this board (but you already knew that).

There are 2 ways to succeed in marriage these days: be a whipping boy or marry a girl from another country while staying in that country.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,574,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Statistically it's women who are bucking the marriage trend but don't let reality get in the way of your biased, misogynistic views
How is it misogynistic to put out the courts are biased in favor of women? Those are the realities and that gives a man a huge disincentive to marry.

Both sides are dropping which is why the average age of first marriage rises for both men and women and the number of unmarried men and women also rise.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,017 times
HOORAY! Freak this marriage fiasco. I'm so tired of my peers worried about marrying when they can't even have a decent relationship with themselves. So stupid. I for one, am not rushing into marriage and heck, I more than likely WILL NOT get married. I really have 0% interest in it right now. Freak it, make it -50 percent interest in it. I'm 26, have a girlfriend and like where I am right now. The only person I want to "settle down" with is myself and make sure I get my ish together. I rather be alone and happy in the future then miserable and with miserable company. BLAH.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
How is it misogynistic to put out the courts are biased in favor of women? Those are the realities and that gives a man a huge disincentive to marry.
The money part is the single BIGGEST deterrent to marriage. The hurt from a broken marriage will fade. The extraction of money won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships