Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 06:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times

Advertisements

You guys know there is a Vegetarian subforum to debate nutrition, right?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You guys know there is a Vegetarian subforum to debate nutrition, right?
Great. Let's end this nonsense here.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:00 AM

800 posts, read 508,374 times
Quote:
Humans are not superior to other animals in any way.
And I suppose a hypothetical race of aliens on another planet who can travel through space, time, and heal any wound or disease are not superior to us in any way either? C'mon gimme a break. I love animals too but lets face it, they serve us, we're far more powerful and intelligent. Look at the complex pieces of machinery and electronics humanity has built and whats the next most advanced tool an animal has? A rock that a sea otter uses to crack open a clam? I rest my case.

Anyway to the OP: Hunting is (in most cases) an honorable, useful, and fun sport. Don't give it up just because some hippie dogmatic city chick might not like it. I hunt deer too(takes up like one weekend out of the entire year) and if a gal is extremely opposed to it then I'm opposed to dating her too.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:20 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,074 times
I deer hunt. Any girl that I date has to accept that. If she doesn't, hit the road

Old 10-18-2012, 05:00 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
For me, yes, it's a deal breaker.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 AM

254 posts, read 316,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't get my nutritional information from ranting posts on the internet. In fact, that would probably be the last place I would do so. My health is excellent, as is my diet.
Right, keep listening to the meat and dairy industry and ignore the overwhelming majority of scientific studies done on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
And I suppose a hypothetical race of aliens on another planet who can travel through space, time, and heal any wound or disease are not superior to us in any way either? C'mon gimme a break. I love animals too but lets face it, they serve us, we're far more powerful and intelligent. Look at the complex pieces of machinery and electronics humanity has built and whats the next most advanced tool an animal has? A rock that a sea otter uses to crack open a clam? I rest my case.
I don't see how more advanced cognitive skills means superiority, especially given the enormous amount of stupid things we do to hurt ourselves and everything around us.

Our lives are not any more important than those of other animals.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
I don't see how more advanced cognitive skills means superiority, especially given the enormous amount of stupid things we do to hurt ourselves and everything around us.

I agree with you on a fundamental basis, but surely you realize that your selflessness goes against basic biology. True self-sacrifice is very rare in any animal. You cannot reasonably expect most animals, including humans, to feel that way.

But we're talking about dating, not even the ethics of eating meat, really. The ethics of hunting are different, I feel. It is natural for man to eat meat. I value compassion and avoidance of suffering, and I believe that people can eat meat humanely. (I choose not to.) Hunting can accomplish two things: obtain food and bring pleasure. It's the second one that might bother me, because hunters' motives obviously have a wide span. Deliberate killing brings me nothing but sadness, so I cannot relate to someone who does it for pleasure. I do not think of them as bad people, though, unless they are needlessly cruel, destructive, or wasteful.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:04 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Quote:
Right, keep listening to the meat and dairy industry and ignore the overwhelming majority of scientific studies done on this subject.

Although I do hunt, you do make a valid point as to human superiority. Afterall. Are chimps or elephants dumb enough to smoke cigarettes??

Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,183 times
If I was a girl...or a girl was into hunting for sport..deal breaker for me. If you are hunting for food out of need, fine..but to hunt for the sake of 'fun' seems straight out of Deliverance to me

Old 10-18-2012, 09:39 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,876,183 times
Quote:

I agree whole-heartedly, you will find that certain groups/people will use the 'human's are more superior' claim to excuse treating Animals poorly. One species of animal single handedly ruins the environment, kills other animals for 'sport', makes certain species extinct and all because we are so much more superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships