Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 years old, have firearms, an EMT, and I am going to school for dual bachelor's degrees in emergency medicine (to be a paramedic) and biology (hoping to be able to specialize in human biology). I have no debt, I'm not some whacko, I'm in good shape and exercise often, eat fairly decently for my age, etc... apart from the desire to hunt, I'm more or or less a normal 22-year-old.

I would never hunt solely for sport, though the method in which I would like to hunt is very sporting in and of itself... no guaranteed animal to take home, animal has a chance to flee or fight, etc. No blinds... no feeders... I want someone to teach me to track, spot, stalk, shoot, bleed, skin, clean, and butcher. None of this "sit in a blind and wait for it to come to me" stuff. I also want to learn how to stretch and tan hides so they can be used. No point in wasting anything valuable, right? I get the meat and the fur, animals get what's left.

I like the way venison tastes, I like the way antelope and elk taste, I like the way oryx tastes (look them up on wikipedia). Eating these meats is leaps and bounds healthier for you than eating some mass-farmed animal that was probably stressed or miserable for most of its life (though I do try to eat organic/range fed/grass fed whenever possible.) An animal that's hunted has had a life, a chance to breed, a chance to fight, a chance to get away. I don't really see how hunting is any less moral than eating a store-bought steak if it's done the way I want to do it. If some young woman wants to write me off entirely and ignore my other qualities, then that's fine. It'd be her choice and her loss, and she probably wouldn't be a very good match for me anyways.

For what it's worth, in addition to liking the way the meat tastes and wanting to be able to use as much of the animal as possible, I love the sound of elk calling to each other in the fall and the sound of coyotes talking at night. I'm a member of a wildlife conservation/management organization. Even THEY recognize that hunting is not evil. In addition to hunting for food, hunting also removes animals from an environment that cannot support them. If there's an overabundance of animals and no predators (since we've killed off or driven predators out), hunters simply take the place of the predator. Furthermore, in 48 of 50 states, the money generated from hunting/fishing permits directly pays for conservation efforts and officers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Grrr Sitting in a tree drinking wife beating juice ISNT hunting. Id love to see a so-called hunter HUNT. It's one thing to hunt for food but for sport.. well I'll keep quiet on that one.
While the first sentence of your post is absolutely ridiculous, I agree with the second part. Many people hunt from blinds, or feed the deer from feeders before they shoot the animal. This is not "sporting" or "hunting" in my opinion. It seems many people have become spoiled. I don't hunt yet, and it would not be every season, but I'm currently trying to find someone who will take me hunting and teach me how to do it the old way- track, spot, and stalk and give the animal a chance to flee or fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Stereotype much? I'ma put on my overalls, sippin on some shine, get out in the woods, and poach me a deer. It's my God given right! I'm an American!
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Nah just calling it like I see it.
It is a stereotype. You'd be referring to an extremely small number of people that are not representative of the group as a whole. I'm sure YOU could be stereotyped somehow.

Quote:
I can guarantee your and my ancestors did! A wooly mammoth would have kept the tribe fed for weeks
Wooly mammoth would have been gone in a day, or a few days. We were originally adapted to having periods of famine via inability to find animals to hunt or stuff to gather, or an inability to find food in quantities necessary to keep us completely nourished. They would then use the skin/fur for clothing and probably did a fair amount with the bones, such as make works of art around the campfire or use them as the framework for shelter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It's also some chick's God given right to turn you down. I doubt you'd scare chicks off if you stuck to fishing. I'm sure you could learn some marinated filet recipes and win their hearts in the process.
Plenty of delicious recipes to be had with game animals. Just as there are premium cuts of beef, there are equivalent cuts of meat in deer, elk, antelope, etc. Good for grilling. Good for jerky. REALLY good if you've got some ground, you can make delicious burgers that are higher in protein, and lower in cholesterol/fat than beef.

Quote:
The Most Dangerous Game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

great short story. highly recommend it
I would support the idea of that story if we could do it with dangerous felons and people who have been convicted of heinous crimes, as long as it was guaranteed they wouldn't escape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Question for anybody to answer. Phil's too young to qualify for this event. However, have you heard of instances where grown men are dragging their catch (a dead deer) into the back of the truck and suffer a heart attack? I have heard of this several times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Robert, what is that supposed to mean? Bad karma?
Nah. The strain of pulling a 150-200lb animal (or two, depending on how many tags/permits you have paid for or whatever your state does) by oneself would be enough to seriously stress the human body. These "grown men" have probably accumulated health problems that are more or less consistent with their ages and with other people. You could be in good health, but too much strain coupled with exhaustion could probably go south pretty quickly depending on various other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I haven't heard of that, but I often see people (on TV/news) who like to torture bulls in arenas have their asses torn off and handed to them.
I root for the bulls.

Last edited by JordanJP; 10-11-2012 at 01:00 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 05:32 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post

I root for the bulls.
I can't say I'm rooting for either, but I cannot relate to the hard on people get over hurting animals. People are so f*cked up, although in the end our behavior and lives catch up with us in one way or another.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times
Quote:
Guess it's the inner caveman in me. Maybe it's just being a product of my raising. Maybe it's the way wild game tastes (better than corporate raised beef that gets injected with God knows what). Maybe it's the thrill of the hunt. Maybe it's good wildlife/habitat management to thin the herd where there are too many. Maybe it's the time spent searching for that elusive grey ghost of autumn (most big bucks don't get big by being stupid). I love hunting. All there is to it. Why would this be a dealbreaker?
Because it's barbaric?

All the justifications in the world simply top-dress the point that it's just bloodlust and to me that's not attractive.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times
Quote:
And when nuclear armageddon (insert any other SHTF scenario) occurs, you'll be glad that a few held on to the old ways.
Bahahahaaa I'm glad I got me tin foil hat and me kruggerands down in the bunker!!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:21 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
No issue for me at all. I grew up with Hunters ( Grand-Father and Great-Uncle) and went hunting until my health gave out. As long as it is for meat ( not trophies) and is not illegal or the hunting of endangered species then I do not see the problem.

Hunting is the natural way to procure meat and in an ideal world this would be how we all do. A good hunter kills cleanly and quickly and I would much rather be a Deer who has lived a life in the open and free who is shot by a hunter than a factory chicken or mass farming cow who has had a miserable life and dies for a cheap hamburger quite frankly. Good hunting is about knowledge and respect for the animal and its environment and good husbandry of stock.

Bad hunting however... Don't get me started. Fox hunting, trap hunters where the animal is caught for hours/days in agony ( not all trap hunting I realise), trophy hunters, "african reserve" hunting macho crap.... These people are not hunters IMO. Anything but. If you are hunting to boost your ego, to gloat about your kill or your killing purposefully creates pain and anguish in your prey then you do not deserve the label of hunter.

Unless someone is a vegetarian ( in fact a vegan) I would suggest that criticising hunting is a tad hypocritical. Meat, any meat is a dead animal. A living, breathing, feeling creature whose life was extinguished for our desire for meat. We need to face that fact right in the eyes and realise that expecting someone else to kill those animals for us but disapprove of hunting at the same time is intellectually disingenuous. Meat means death. So we might as well accept that a free and happy organic life and quick death is damn sight better than factory farming and all it entails.

Out of sight should not mean out of mind. People are now so removed from their food source they forget ( because they chose to) that someone had to kill, and something had to die for their delicious morsels on their plate. I would chose hunted meat over factory farming any day, both as a consumer and as an animal. No contest.

I wish kids were taken to farms and would see through the whole process so they understand that animals do feel pain, anguish and that every single piece of meat consumed is an animal and does not come pre-packaged in plastic film. It might lower our consumption of meat for a start which is not terribly sustainable and make us more willing to become a little more choosy with provenance.

I adore meat but I will eat better quality, less often and to me that is much better both for me, the animal and the environment. We need to grow awareness as consumers.

Hunting IS natural and there is nothing inherently wrong with it if properly done.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 10-11-2012 at 07:30 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 07:21 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
If it makes the OP feel any better I lay traps for rabbit in my area and I capture, kill and cook my own rabbits at least twice a month. I also fish. The gfs I am in a relationship do not seem to care a bit. Though for safety sake I have forbade them from ever naming any of the rabbits between capture and kill lest they get attached.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
If it makes the OP feel any better I lay traps for rabbit in my area and I capture, kill and cook my own rabbits at least twice a month. I also fish. The gfs I am in a relationship do not seem to care a bit. Though for safety sake I have forbade them from ever naming any of the rabbits between capture and kill lest they get attached.
How does rabbit taste? I never realized people acutally eat them.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
How does rabbit taste? I never realized people acutally eat them.
I have to admit that one of my big failings in life is an inability to describe tastes. So I am rather unable to answer this question for you. To me wild rabbit tastes like... wild rabbit. More than that I am unable to really tell you.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Wouldn't want to be with a princess who thought she was too good to slaughter what she consumes or had problems with folks that did. Are people really that disconnected with where their food comes from?

Not at all, the supermarket is just down the street :-)

er where do you think food comes from?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 AM

496 posts, read 941,138 times
I'm vegetarian, which I've been surprised to find out is a dealbreaker for some. That said, I'm vegetarian because I'd never kill anyone, so ultimately I have a lot more respect for someone who kills what they eat than someone who buys it neatly pre-packaged and dyed for their myth-making pleasure. Not a dealbreaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships