Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:38 PM

94 posts, read 172,403 times

Advertisements

Ladies, what's the best way for a guy to approach you at a large social event? This is basically an event with lots of young professionals, some of whom will be open to dating, others in relationships and others just wanting to hang out after work. The event is social in nature, ie not geared toward networking.

I would love to get some good ideas so I can meet someone nice that I have things in common with who would be open to dating. I just need some suggestions as I'm a bit shy at times. I will have some friends there but also want to mingle.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times
I am definately tuning in on this thread.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Say "hi!" and ask a contextual question.

Is this your first time at an event sponsored by XXX?
Do you know any other groups like this one, I am new in town?
What are you drinking, and do you think the bar on the left or the right will have a faster line?
Are the free drinks good?

Read her body language.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Talk about what she does for a living and go from there

Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Say "hi!" and ask a contextual question.

Is this your first time at an event sponsored by XXX?
Do you know any other groups like this one, I am new in town?
What are you drinking, and do you think the bar on the left or the right will have a faster line?
Are the free drinks good?

Read her body language.
Generally speaking, if she punches you in the kidneys, it's a good time to exit gracefully.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:18 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Its all about body language. Watch your movements. Your presentation. Do you make them feel comfortable. Do you sound confident but not arrogant.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 PM

94 posts, read 172,403 times
Thanks. Good advice so far. Any other ice breaker ideas? I hate to talk about my job. Women often think either I'm bragging or I undersell it because it is really easy for me and I get bored but it actually is a great job that is hard for many. Plus, work gets boring and getting network zoned is the new friend zone, lol.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I like jade's suggestions. Contextual is good. You can't really assume anything about anyone. Don't talk about work at first if you can help it. Ask if she's from the area or moved there from elsewhere. Is there anything in town you are looking to find? A good pho place, a decent dog park, a spectacular bookstore? Ask for her opinions on stuff like that. Mundane, but gateways to bigger and better things, ya know?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I like jade's suggestions. Contextual is good. You can't really assume anything about anyone. Don't talk about work at first if you can help it. Ask if she's from the area or moved there from elsewhere. Is there anything in town you are looking to find? A good pho place, a decent dog park, a spectacular bookstore? Ask for her opinions on stuff like that. Mundane, but gateways to bigger and better things, ya know?
These are good! You just need a low-key and neutral ice breaker. Definitely skip the "what do you do?" as an opener if networking isn't the number one priority.

Another easy ice breaker? Ask people about which appetizers are good. (provided they are eating). Then you can show you are a gentlemen, and offer to bring her a refill.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
These are good! You just need a low-key and neutral ice breaker. Definitely skip the "what do you do?" as an opener if networking isn't the number one priority.

Another easy ice breaker? Ask people about which appetizers are good. (provided they are eating). Then you can show you are a gentlemen, and offer to bring her a refill.
Any man that brings me food as a way of greeting already has his foot in the door. I like this suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships