Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 PM

72 posts, read 206,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Yeah, the myth that middle-aged women are not sexual is obviously wishful thinking on the part of middle-aged men who can't match them.
They can't match them because it's the men who are out working all day.

Decades of being a provider/slave takes its toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 12:40 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,346 times
What? women work too.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:46 PM

72 posts, read 206,714 times
Men's jobs are harder. And more brutal.

Men deal with far more stress than women, which is why the suicide rate has climbed so high.

Stress ages you.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:50 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMaadCity View Post

Men deal with far more stress than women, which is why the suicide rate has climbed so high.
That's a pretty broad generalization. Women in many cases hold the exact same jobs as men: doctor, lawyer, engineer, teacher/professor, politician. Women also work in construction.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:55 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,990,374 times
Quote:
They can't match them because it's the men who are out working all day.

Decades of being a provider/slave takes its toll.
The women I now are mostly in firefighting and construction.

Traditional men tend to not take care of themselves, physically or emotionally, though. That ages you.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:01 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
The women I now are mostly in firefighting and construction.

Traditional men tend to not take care of themselves, physically or emotionally, though. That ages you.
Generally speaking, men tend to use alcohol more and smoke more. Those really age you!

Old 07-06-2013, 01:03 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,455 times
Things are supposed to be easier for men once they're in their 40's. This simply isn't the case. Yes, I have a good job, but damn, did I ever pay my dues to get it, and I have to live in a city I don't like to keep it. As for personal life, forget it. That is almost non-existent. I don't have kids, but still want them, and women 30-40 don't want to date me, at least not in this town. As you get older, you realize you're not as energetic as you once were and you become cynical on things such as dating. The good news is you see through peoples B.S. a lot easier and can choose what/who to spend your energy on. The only way I think its easier for men is if they're rich, but its easier for anyone who's rich, which I certainly am not.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:24 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:

Stress ages you.
Maybe that was the case back in the day, but no more.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:07 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,696,571 times
There are two separate issues here. One is society’s general according of opportunities and prestige to men vs. women as they get older. The other issue is how this translates into dating opportunities.

Regarding the first issue, I agree that men have the advantage. Your average 50-year-old male professional is probably still regarded as having a decade or more of productive, involved employment. A woman in such a position would have more obstacles. If you’re going to be middle-aged, from a career viewpoint, it’s still probably better to be male.

Regarding the second issue, I find that mens’ advantage has largely been enervated. The specific issue isn’t 50 year old men trying to date 20 year old women, but who holds the relative balance of power in dating, in the 40s and 50s. For various reasons, women now are less dependent on men, and have less reason to marry if they’re single, or remarry if they’re divorced. Single men can no longer sit around in blissful expectation that women will come their way, even if said men are in good physical and financial shape. Women who feel, rightly or wrongly, that they have have limited market-value in dating, simply exit the market. Meanwhile, there are many men who fooled around in their youth, or whose marriages failed, and who now find themselves at a disadvantage in the dating market. This disadvantage is actually exacerbated by having a thriving career, because such men don’t have the time or energy to be doing dating-research or to cultivate social contacts outside of work. If you’re going to be middle-aged, from a dating viewpoint, it’s probably better to be female.

When I was a college student (in my late teens… many years ago!), dating was quite a challenge. By way of consolation, I read numerous articles stipulating that among young people, women have the advantage in dating. But the young fellow shouldn’t get despondent, according to those articles; instead, he should be patient, for with time his relative dating-value increases, and by say age 40 the balance swings in his favor. Now I believe that this “advice” is contrived merely to prevent nerdy young men from slitting their wrists. There is no such shift in balance – certainly not in middle age.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:07 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:

Stress ages you.
Physical labour is harder.

Your post is not even borderline sexist, it is completely sexist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships