U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 PM

748 posts, read 975,659 times

Advertisements

I don't want to hear about your personal skeletons. I would like to know how do you feel about other people talking abut your skeletons?

Is it ever okay or acceptable for somebody to open your closet door and discuss your skeletons?

We all have something we consider private or are ashamed of and would prefer nobody know.

Maybe you used drugs or were arrested in younger years and have not shared this information with your child.

Perhaps your best friend has not been faithful to his wife, who is also your friend.

When does another person have the right to discuss your skeletons? If they do, how should it be done?

Why would you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,007,746 times
I don't think it's ever appropriate. Not only is it bad manners, but you don't know if the information is wrong or not.

About 14 years ago, I fired one of my employees for sheer incompetence. As in royally screwed up a major account of mine. But this woman had a screw loose and immediately started telling everybody she could find that I was having an affair with several different women on my staff. Never mind that my wife worked there every day. Never mind that I didn't socialize with anyone after hours. This woman just kept making up stuff whole cloth. Fortunately, several of my employees caught wind of it and managed to set matters straight, but it was still out there.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 PM

9,415 posts, read 11,218,033 times
It's called being a gossip and a busybody, two character flaws few people admire.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:22 PM

4,909 posts, read 6,549,113 times
"Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead."

Benjamin Franklin

The best way to keep skeletons in the closet is by never letting anyone see them. That being said, folks should exercise some tact when dealing with sensitive/private issues of others.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:24 PM

35,783 posts, read 39,042,215 times
If it's something I want to be sure never gets passed along to anyone else, I don't tell it. People often tell secrets, often with the intention of being helpful or in trying to prevent further hurt. Anytime I disclose anything about myself, it is with full knowledge that it could be passed on. If you don't want anyone knowing something, don't tell anyone.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,591,173 times
In a medical situation where I am unable to speak and my skeletons are relevant, then yes, they should be dusted off and yanked out.

Other than that, a person that I've confided in ought to zip it.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:35 PM

7,050 posts, read 5,404,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I don't want to hear about your personal skeletons. I would like to know how do you feel about other people talking abut your skeletons?

Is it ever okay or acceptable for somebody to open your closet door and discuss your skeletons?

We all have something we consider private or are ashamed of and would prefer nobody know.

Maybe you used drugs or were arrested in younger years and have not shared this information with your child.

Perhaps your best friend has not been faithful to his wife, who is also your friend.

When does another person have the right to discuss your skeletons? If they do, how should it be done?

Why would you do it?

Quite a few things I don't like about people going into my personal stuff and then exposing is that they often blow it out of proportion and use it for slander.

If you do want to discuss my skeletons, make sure they are my "real" skeletons. However, I think it is acceptable when it is a safety issue.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:36 PM

1,969 posts, read 1,890,215 times
I suspect most people have whole cemeteries in their closet, and it's nobody's business but theirs. If you care about someone, you respect their privacy.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:38 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,908,947 times
I am a pretty private person, and unless it pertains to you, you will not be hearing about it from me, because nine times out of ten, whatever I tell someone, they are going to tell at least one person, and that person is going to tell two. If there is something you don't want anyone else knowing about you, then take it to the grave.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,776,062 times
I would never disclose anyone's skeletons (personally embarrassing information), period.

As for me, I don't have any skeletons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships