Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times

Advertisements

I've actually mentioned my first date with Groupon Guy before. We had so much fun, but I don't know if I would have kept seeing him had he continued to groupon me.

I never assume that someone will pay for me. I will always offer, but I am not inclined to go on a 2nd date with a guy who wants me to pay for the 1st. These men tend to be bitter and not so fond of real women. After the first date, I'm game to pay for whatever.

I always thank a date for whatever we do. Even if I'm the one who pays, I thank them for accompanying me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 PM

368 posts, read 577,345 times
Using coupons on a date is just shameful.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I know these things have been beaten to death - but I'm SOOOO curious about this. This isn't really meant to be a debate thread - I have 2 simple questions.

1. How many of you have actually used a coupon to pay for the first date? This question is probably more for the men but if a woman has done this - feel free to speak up!
2. How many of you have actually turned your head when they check came on the first date or made it clear in some other way that the paying of the bill was completely your date's responsibility and you were having no part of if. And a second part to that - once you made that clear, how many of you didn't thank the person for picking up the check? This is probably for the women but if there are some men that have done this - feel free to speak up?

After all these debates back and forth about these things - I'm just wondering how often these things really happen. And these aren't meant to be hypotheticals - how many of you have actually done these things?

Thanks!

Oh - and I've never done either one of them - nor have any of the guys who have taken me out!

And now...

YOUR answers to variations on your questions, Dewdrop?

What would you think of a man who did this (couponing) on the first date?

Have you ever been on the receiving end of that "look away" or a non-thank for having covered a date?

Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
And now...

YOUR answers to variations on your questions, Dewdrop?

What would you think of a man who did this (couponing) on the first date?

Have you ever been on the receiving end of that "look away" or a non-thank for having covered a date?
Hmm... Couponing... I really think context is everything. It's never come up (that I can recall) but here is my take on things. If someone I knew wanted to take our relationship to the next level and did it by saying something like, "Hey - I have a groupon to that restaurant that you like - would you like to go?" That would be no big deal at all. Or if we were talking about restaurants that we liked and he mentioned that he had a coupon for one of them - it wouldn't be a big deal at all. If, however, he wanted to take me out to dinner, and his idea of a romantic dinner was to take me to Denny's and he had a coupon in which I had to order something specific - well, that would be tacky. But let's say we had gone to a movie, and then a bar, and we still didn't want the date to end and he suggested we go to Denny's - and we were having a blast - and he pulled out a coupon when the bill came - I don't think I would care at all. Like I said - it's all about context.

I've never been on the receiving end of the "look away" - if I remember correctly - most of the guys I went out with were pretty adamant about paying. And they did so gladly!

Like I've said in other threads - the bill has never been an issue back when I was dating. Things like coupons and women supposedly turning away or going to the bathroom when the check arrives keep popping up in all these threads. I was just wondering if these were things that really happened or if people were simply making a big deal out of hypotheticals. I think I have my answer!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
I've never used a coupon to pay for the first date then again I don't pay for first dates or any dates.

I have made it clear on first dates and all dates that when the check comes it's completely his responsibility and I didn't thank him for picking up the check.
You must be a joy to hang around.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:46 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,637,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
You must be a joy to hang around.
I am a joy to some guys/gals and I'm not a joy to some guys/gals though either way I'm still getting what I want.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
I am a joy to some guys/gals and I'm not a joy to some guys/gals though either way I'm still getting what I want.
Attractive.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:49 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I had a guy yell at me for getting out my money. He told me not to insult him. Meaning he had enough money he made.
Wow... touchy! That's a strange reaction.

I think it's nice when a woman at least reaches for her wallet... i probably wouldn't accept her money unless she actually felt uncomfortable being treated... but still, it's nice to see a woman who does not expect it.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I've actually mentioned my first date with Groupon Guy before. We had so much fun, but I don't know if I would have kept seeing him had he continued to groupon me.

I never assume that someone will pay for me. I will always offer, but I am not inclined to go on a 2nd date with a guy who wants me to pay for the 1st. These men tend to be bitter and not so fond of real women. After the first date, I'm game to pay for whatever.

I always thank a date for whatever we do. Even if I'm the one who pays, I thank them for accompanying me.
Very classy... nice touch.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:53 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,637,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Attractive.
Physically I am to most people and non physically it's a toss up in my experience.

I'm guessing you're a guy with an issue with gals not paying for dates. (?) Bit curious if you also take issue with the sl*t double standard, the 'men wear the pants' role, the role of women changing their names when married, and how the norm is women do most of the household/childcare duties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships