Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:48 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,818,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
One would argue that with the relatively high obesity rates in this country it's impossible for us to become more shallow.
That's a good point. I noticed a huge increase in shallowness from the 1970s-1990s. But as I mentioned earlier I haven't noticed any change in the past 15-20 years. Perhaps we are even becoming less shallow due to the obesity epidemic. Less people can afford to be shallow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 02:38 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,782,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
I think the standard for normal/healthy/attractive have gotten very narrow a la _Brave New World_. I was raised on stories about people who were real characters and didn't fit into the neat little concepts of normal that we have now. I've never preferred "perfect" people in friends, family, or intimate partners. They always have a mix of 'good' and 'bad'. I would really like to see a more open culture in which people are more accepting of difference and appreciate uniqueness.
YES! I think you hit the nail on the head here. It's the definition of "normal" that keeps getting smaller with people trying harder and harder to fit in. It really disturbs me when people have laundry lists of "qualities" that their potential mate must have. I have my own standards but they are not set in stone. I do not require ANYBODY in my life to be perfect or even close to perfect. In fact it's sometimes those imperfections that make people who they are.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:06 PM

120 posts, read 211,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
This. There was no such thing as a golden age of integrity or morality. Times when people were supposed to be more moral were in fact times of incredible violence and barbarity. Also, I wouldn't use the word shallow, but rather simply...human.
I think that we are a pretty ****ty species overall. I say this because in no time in human history people were really nice to each other and did not fight or exploit each other in one way or another.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:41 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,818,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VX5650 View Post
YES! I think you hit the nail on the head here. It's the definition of "normal" that keeps getting smaller with people trying harder and harder to fit in. It really disturbs me when people have laundry lists of "qualities" that their potential mate must have. I have my own standards but they are not set in stone. I do not require ANYBODY in my life to be perfect or even close to perfect. In fact it's sometimes those imperfections that make people who they are.
If someone has a laundry list of qualities they demand or are expecting perfection they will most likely stay single. If they are shallow to the extreme they might not even be capable of being in a loving relationship even if they find somebody they think is perfect. Also they will have much competition for the shrinking pool of who's considered dateable.

In other words there are ramifications for a society becoming more shallow, even among the shallow themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships