Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:51 PM

73 posts, read 214,605 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this today after making some observations at work. It seems that there is a stereotype or myth that men generally are attracted to women's looks, while women are attracted to men's personality/social status. My theory is that this may have been more true in years past, but nowadays it is much more "even" in that women are drawn to men for their looks.

I say this because I have a co-worker who is a conventionally good looking guy. He's tall, blonde, and muscular. At work, women will approach him and ask him questions as an excuse to talk to him, and I've even seen a girl walk right up to him and give him her number. And yes, he had sex with her later that weekend.

Furthermore, my generation has a "hook up culture" in which people aren't dating formally (boyfriend/girlfriend) as much as are they having casual sex/friends with benefits. And many couples my age have one or both parties cheating on each other (again, from my personal observations at work and amongst my group of friends).

What I'm getting at is that this hook-up culture is very much based on pure sexual/physical attraction. There seems to be less of people getting to know each other in any meaningful way (personality), and just acting out their desires based purely on the other person's looks. I suspect this may also be why the divorce rate is so high and continues to climb.

So my question is, are we as a society becoming more shallow, sacrificing meaningful interaction and communication with instant gratification/physically based relationships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,727,294 times
Not all.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:58 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,365,752 times
Quote:
And yes, he had sex with her later that weekend.
How do you know this, were you present at the event? Or did the blonde dude divulge this? Or the woman? Or both? They just sit around and tell random colleagues about their sex lives?

And you believe them?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 PM

73 posts, read 214,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
How do you know this, were you present at the event? Or did the blonde dude divulge this? Or the woman? Or both? They just sit around and tell random colleagues about their sex lives?

And you believe them?
He's a friend I hang out with outside of work, and I'm only going by what he relayed to me.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,568,140 times
The divorce rate is not high because of that. In fact divorce is down these days. The divorce rate is high because of the selfish lazy baby boomers of the 70's and 80's couldn't handle marriage.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,689,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma19 View Post
I was thinking about this today after making some observations at work. It seems that there is a stereotype or myth that men generally are attracted to women's looks, while women are attracted to men's personality/social status. My theory is that this may have been more true in years past, but nowadays it is much more "even" in that women are drawn to men for their looks.

I say this because I have a co-worker who is a conventionally good looking guy. He's tall, blonde, and muscular. At work, women will approach him and ask him questions as an excuse to talk to him, and I've even seen a girl walk right up to him and give him her number. And yes, he had sex with her later that weekend.

Furthermore, my generation has a "hook up culture" in which people aren't dating formally (boyfriend/girlfriend) as much as are they having casual sex/friends with benefits. And many couples my age have one or both parties cheating on each other (again, from my personal observations at work and amongst my group of friends).

What I'm getting at is that this hook-up culture is very much based on pure sexual/physical attraction. There seems to be less of people getting to know each other in any meaningful way (personality), and just acting out their desires based purely on the other person's looks. I suspect this may also be why the divorce rate is so high and continues to climb.

So my question is, are we as a society becoming more shallow, sacrificing meaningful interaction and communication with instant gratification/physically based relationships?
I'm going to chime in before the my generation sucks comments role in. Me personally I am seeing plenty of regular relationships more so than hook ups.

For the first point woman can be visually my mom and my aunts would spend time picking who is the cutest member of the Jackson 5 and such so no gender has a monopoly on visual stimulation.

For the guy and the girl that is there prerogative.

I think it may be a factor but I don't think it is the only factor.

I do believe there is a shallow pervasiveness around our society but I think people are still having regular relationships its just the hook up culture and everything around it are just very loud.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,825,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma19 View Post
yes, for sure.

it's all instant gratification now - the culture of me.

appearance is the number one attractor, then comes money and status.

Personality hardly factors in at all.

God needs to re-make an appearance IMO

Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 PM

120 posts, read 211,418 times
We have not become more shallow, it has always been that way. Only now with the Internet more people know about it.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,559,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
We have not become more shallow, it has always been that way. Only know with the Internet more people know about it.
It's not just the internet, it's media in general. People generally didn't stray far from where they grew up so they basically knew who they were going to marry fairly early on. Now, you have Playboy showing us 'fake' perfection, 9 feet tall Victoria's Secrets models plastered on billboards showing us that there are women out there that do indeed look like that and all of a sudden people don't want to settle for what they can get. The same goes for women seeing underwear advertisements and whatnot, though I do think it's much worse with men.

So yes, I do think society has become far more shallow in general because of the availability of looking at 'perfect' people and thinking that one day you may get to have one of them.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:00 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,202,167 times
We have also become fatter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships