Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
OP has no clue about rape nor can he even imagine it so he pretty much needs to shut it.

MsAnnThrope, on behalf of all us decent guys, I'm more than willing to jam a broom handle up his ass without his consent, to at least give him some type of idea what it might be like.

I would hope it would change his mind, but of course he'll just......."get over it".

Old 10-19-2012, 01:03 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Looks like they're going to have to hire a late-night moderator to address these over-the-top threads that pop up like Midnight Specials.
I would say so.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:04 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post

That means 40% of young women are mentally ill. When you factor the ones who are mentally ill but hide it well, we are talking close to half.
That graph surprises me. I was aware that young adulthood is the most common time for mental illness to manifest itself (especially for men actually) but I wouldn't have guessed it goes down with age so dramatically.

My (limited) personal observations on this subject doesn't match the graph. I was friends with a woman who was reasonably sane but now in her 40s has literally gone crazy, losing all sense of reality. It's heartbreaking to see.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:05 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,710 times
Ew well...

Thanks for the offer but being a woman, I don't condone violence.

Although I would like to meet him face to face one day and see if he had the balls to spout his tripe to my face.

Somehow I doubt he would dare.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:13 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
I expect a woman to be crazy, if she is not crazy, than something wrong with her. Even though I agree with the op to some extent, but then again thats how women are. I sure hope this thread shuts down.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:17 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Ew well...

Thanks for the offer but being a woman, I don't condone violence.

Although I would like to meet him face to face one day and see if he had the balls to spout his tripe to my face.

Somehow I doubt he would dare.

Hmmm....maybe you're right. Probably be something I don't want etched into my memory anyhow.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 AM

684 posts, read 825,024 times
Quote:
You don't even need to talk about rape, all you need to do is go to your local courthouse and read the hearing list, or go online and read a crime site.

It'll mostly be male on female domestic violence.

Men kill and injure women far, far more often than the other way around.

This is why some people believe there is a War on Women. I am one of them.

People like the OP are like the Nazi supporters, blindly and ignorantly spouting war propaganda. Hardly anyone gets raped blah blah blah.

All anyone with a functioning brain needs to do and look at the statistics. It's all there. A horrifying, shameful amount of female victims injured, dying or being molested at the hands of the men who are supposed to love them.

We know for a fact to this day most rapes go unreported as they usually occur in/straight after a relationship, or the woman feels too much shame, or she is afraid of him, or she thinks she won't be believed, or maybe she likes a good time and doesn't want things ripped open in court.

They also occur to prostitutes so remain unreported for obvious reasons. A certain proportion occur in families.

But no, you just go ahead with your women bashing rhetoric and just keep showing how ignorant and sexist and hateful you are.

OP has no clue about rape nor can he even imagine it so he pretty much needs to shut it.
Hello MsAnnThrope,

I wanted to address some points you had said, because I think they're important and they're something that needs a dialogue to be addressed. I am a bit concerned as obviously this is a hot button issue and something that needs to be addressed delicately.

The unreported stat - How do we know for a fact that most rapes go unreported? If they're unreported, how can you possibly know that they go unreported?

In your case, I happen to know that anonymous polls have resulted in certain studies being done. In this case, I would invite you to post which questions were asked specifically. In most cases, when I've heard this spoken, the statistic "One in four women" being assaulted is quoted, and that's a highly worrying statistic.

Could you post the study, the polls and the questions they asked to prove this statistic? The reason that I ask is that statistical analysis is somewhat of an interest of mine and I've been told that many polls that prove this engage in 'Push polling', which is asking specific questions to get the answer you're looking for.

In many cases, when this is asked for, the response I've heard is "Even one is too many." - And this is true. One IS too many. The problem lies in the response this has gotten. Many women feel threatened going out alone at night, or just to the store. If this statistic is true, then it means there is an epidemic that has to be addressed and can't simply be ignored. If this statistic is false, then it means that many women are being victimized by fear - Living their whole lives afraid of a specter that doesn't really exist.

If this is actually happening, then the studies and their methodology should be readily available. We should be addressing the underlying causes. Is it that males have some inherent physical flaw that requires them to be violent towards women while women do not? Social conditioning? Some third thing?

If it is not happening, then someone is gaining something by creating a victim mentality in the culture, suggesting that women are always on the cusp of being violently assaulted. If that were the case, then the people manipulating the facts are evil and are insidiously removing the freedom from fear that everyone deserves. And it's working on half the population.

Either option is horrifying, but should obviously be discovered rather than allowed to continue.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I'm to the point that I'm not sure I even beieve half the women that say they were raped. Getting stupid drunk in high school and sleeping with some jerk you normaly woudn't touch isn't rape IMO
Statistics | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network
1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed rape; 2.8% attempted rape).1

Effects of Rape
Victims of sexual assault are:7
3 times more likely to suffer from depression.
6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.
13 times more likely to abuse alcohol.
26 times more likely to abuse drugs.
4 times more likely to contemplate suicide.

17.7 million American women have been victims of attempted or completed rape.1

There is an average of 207,754 victims (age 12 or older) of rape and sexual assault each year.1

With footnotes.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
He's good with the kids and the wife. I think he loves her more than she loves him but what do I know. He's told me that he's lucky to have sex once a month these days. she's a great mother but a lousy wife IMO. It was the first woman he ever dated so he doesn't know anything other than her. she's pretty verbally abusive when the kids aren't around. He's let himself go a lot more than she has.

WOW, I wonder why ... Never answered the drinking part of her question.

By the way you sound like you are suffering from some form of untreated mental illness yourself ....

Old 10-19-2012, 01:37 AM

684 posts, read 825,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Statistics | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network
1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed rape; 2.8% attempted rape).1

Effects of Rape
Victims of sexual assault are:7
3 times more likely to suffer from depression.
6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.
13 times more likely to abuse alcohol.
26 times more likely to abuse drugs.
4 times more likely to contemplate suicide.

17.7 million American women have been victims of attempted or completed rape.1

There is an average of 207,754 victims (age 12 or older) of rape and sexual assault each year.1

With footnotes.
Hello Chiel - Do you happen to have the methodology they used to come to that statistic and what constitutes 'Sexual Assault'?

The reason I ask is that, in my younger days I worked in a bar as a runner in a place that catered to middle aged women. As you can imagine, drunken middle aged hen nights resulted in several pats, pinches and the like. As irritating and unwelcome as that was, I never felt victimized by it.

I also feel that it would be self-indulgent to equate what happened to me to what happens to someone who is truly raped.

While no one should have to put up with that sort of thing and it should be stopped, I worry that statistics like that create a victim mentality and causes many women to live in fear of something occurring that they really aren't likely to experience.

And if the methodology was sound, then obviously there is an epidemic that should be our number one priority in resolving, above any other problem we have. If it's true, no other major crime occurs with such frequency. It would be a pandemic whose root cause would need to be found and crushed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships