Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:54 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Agreed. Few men have answered the question. I think it's socially acceptable for a man to essentially throw his money in her face, but not vice versa. It's really that way for a lot of things/behaviors in both directions.
"How do you feel about men who do it?" was what you asked and I must admit I hadn't seen it so .....

I'd not be overly impressed if I knew a man was behaving in this manner, no different to if I knew of a woman that was doing it. Civility and respect for your partner is not gender specific.

Last edited by Baldrick; 10-21-2012 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Relieving the tedium of perpetual mental stagnation... satisfied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 01:59 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Throw the fact that you make more in my face, and I will tell you to pound salt.
I could even deal with her throwing it in my face. Especially if it was done in a playful/teasing manner.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:07 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I could even deal with her throwing it in my face. Especially if it was done in a playful/teasing manner.
Same here. But if it starts to be used as leverage, then forget it. That has nothing to do with gender, butrather character.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:19 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
"How do you feel about men who do it?" was what you asked and I must admit I hadn't seen it so .....

I'd not be overly impressed if I knew a man was behaving in this manner, no different to if I knew of a woman that was doing. Civility and respect for your partner is not gender specific.
You're really not the person I had in mind that would not mind anyhow, Baldrick. Being a likely fantastic husband and person. There are a few in this thread who have purported favor for gender roles on this forum, while not being in favor of the same treatment in return, who it would be great to hear from. I'm not holding my breath for their responses.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Same here. But if it starts to be used as leverage, then forget it. That has nothing to do with gender, butrather character.
If it was leverage... I'd use the eject button.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:19 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Not at all. That's probably the gap between my girlfriend and I. I see it as an ability to charm a woman who does make more money than you do. Especially, since most of them tend to date older men and I'm younger than my girlfriend. Like I've said before, I have no desire to be the sole provider or the bread winner. I rather make less money than make more.
Women tend to date older men in general. I'm 22 so most times dating a "younger" woman then me would mean she is not of drinking age, how lame would that be? We'd have nothing fun to do

Old 10-28-2012, 05:51 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
My ex earned 100+ to my 40+ and I was okay with it....

You can only feel emasculated if you LET yourself feel emasculated....others cannot control your feelings.
If they do things that you find unacceptable, you need to communicate with them.
Possible outcomes are:
They are sorry and will try to work on NOT doing them again
They are sorry yet will not work on not doing them again
they are NOT sorry and don't care to change

If you don't get the result you're looking for then your choices are:
Leave
Stay and realize that is how they are going to be, accept it and shut up about it.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:56 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,679,072 times
I make about 80-85K a year and I would date a woman making 90-150...assuming she would be cool with it

Important thing is though that she would be as smart with money as I am. I save most of my money and hate spending it on stupid sh*t. I don't know if I could date a woman who earns a lot of money who just wastes it all the time on stupid sh*t. That would drive me nuts

Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Would you date a woman who makes more money than you? I'm not talking like if she makes slightly more but a lot more. Let's say her take home pay is about $1000 a week and yours is $400 a week. Would a woman who makes more money feel emasculating to you?

I ask because I could not do this again, my ex made more than me for a short while and threw it in my face any time she could, and that because I made less, my say in certain situations had less importance
Don't care, as long as I made enough to cover my own bills and expenses and had a working vehicle with a roof over my head, that would be fine. I would take exception to that if it was thrown in my face, though. A woman like that wouldn't be my girlfriend for long, it's suggestive of a chip on their shoulder or a self-esteem issue in my eyes.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:35 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
I would not be as intimidated by sheer salary as career path.

I'll explain.

These days, everybody thinks they are an entrepreneur. People start their own businesses, enter sales, and do well for a year or two, maybe pulling in six figures. Good luck keeping that up...

You also could have kissed arse on your way to the top of the food chain at Company A and making $105K a year selling widgets to the Old Folks home, but when they lay you off, who will pay you that salary for doing that same thing again in this economy?

Nobody...

Been there, done that. I had my salary peak too 5-6 years ago.

Now ... those who women who can CONSISTENTLY bring in high salary 150+ ...

-Doctors
-Dentists
-Corporate Attorneys
-Ivy MBAs

Yes ... intimidating...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships