Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:51 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,346 times

Advertisements

I am astounded by this one. A friend of mine just had her first child and her husband has become very controlling. It started right after birth. She wasn't sure she was going to breastfeed but her husband in the delivery room pulled down her gown and put the baby to her breast. She eventually decided to nurse because her husband insisted it, though she was leaning against him. However it gets creepier than that though where he insists at home she breastfeed without a top on all the time saying the skin contact is better. She does this instead of arguing.

If that isn't weird enough he's insisting she quit her job (she's on leave)to be a stay at home mom and bullying her about it. In his world his mom and his sister were stay at home moms and so his his sister in law (brother's wife). He makes good money so technically she could quit but she loves her job and worked hard for it He said though having a wife at home then homeschooling is important to him. He also wants her to be nude in the house and he said he's always believed marriage was where he works, and comes home to a wife who caters to him.

I think this is creepy and I told her to stick her ground and leave if need be (she makes enough to support herself). She is confused because she loves him.

Stories like this are scary to me because before she was pregnant her husband was sane and proud of her job. Now he's acting like a domineering man.

Mod Note: Moved from Parenting forum

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-21-2012 at 05:31 AM..

Old 10-20-2012, 10:03 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,968,777 times
He sounds like he should be neutered with a rusty white-hot salt covered spoon.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,135,794 times
People dont change that dramatically unless they suffered a brain injury. He had to of showed some signs before this. He is a weirdo and she needs to leave.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 PM

I suspect he did but she insists he was normal. I think she should have known better but was probably so desperate to marry she overlooked things.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
This seems like more of a relationship problem than a parenting issue...

Old 10-20-2012, 10:34 PM

Yeah I was originally thinking because she just had a baby but yes probably more relationship orientated.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:40 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Seems like a drastic change but becomming a mother could have changed his view of her. I would suggest marriage counseling in a non religous setting.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
myself, I'd get out while I could. He had to have shown controlling tendendencies before, but the baby has fully activated them. I was in a couple of those relationships and it sounds like its working out just find for him so far. Before it gets more dicey she and child need to take a vacation.

If he is willing to talk and this isn't a temperary act, then maybe they can work it out. If its not an act then she should consider her child. Growing up in a home with that as an influence is very destructive to children, not to mention that it will just continue to esculate for her.

Women usually think they 'love' their abusers, and the dependency feeds that. But just 'love' isn't enough to put up with disrespect and something with the bullying you speak of will lead to lots worse.

If you don't like your mate just as they are, or they don't like you, don't assume time will make it better.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:42 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,085 times
This man is not abusive; he is just traditional. the being in nude around the baby thing is creepy. It sounds like he is intending to impose his will on his wife. She can either submit--she likely will--or bounce.

This behavior does not materialize out of thin air as others have stated. It as there all along and she chose to minimize it.

I think the OP has more of a problem with this dude than the actual wife does. She seems to accept her husband's domination while it weirds out her friends.

To each their own....

Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
He's a psycho. He probably showed signs of it before, but the baby makes him feel more secure exerting his will because he's "locked things down" in his eyes. She needs to get out now. This isn't "traditional" behavior. This is the typical behavior of an abuser. Maybe it doesn't qualify as "abuse" in the eyes of the law because he hasn't physically harmed her, but ... give him some time.

She needs to leave. Now. Either that or she needs to document everything - possibly even videotape or record conversations. This is not "stable" behavior but likely some sort of personality disorder or mental illness, and I think she's going to want to keep his legal access to the child to a minimum. The damage he could inflict on a child over whom he has control is pretty immense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.