Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 PM

73 posts, read 215,039 times

Advertisements

Thankfully I have not, although I feel it will be coming soon, haha. My parents immigrated from Taiwan and have a very traditional view of dating/marriage. They themselves were set up by their parents, and so forth. Not quite an arranged marriage per say, but they were expected to be together. Right now the spotlight is on my older cousin though. He's in his mid 30s and still a bachelor, so my parents, aunts, and grandparents have been corresponding with family friends in Taiwan to hook him up with a "nice Taiwanese girl". The problem: he was born and raised in America, and doesn't speak the language/know the culture. I'm sure once they're done with him it'll be me next, nevermind the fact that I do just fine. I've only ever brought one girlfriend home to my parents, and they hated her. So, anytime they ask now if I'm seeing someone I just say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
I got set up once that i can remember.

This somewhat wealthy older married couple that i knew had a bunch of daughters (i knew the couple, not the daughters) and somehow the conversation ended up me talking about my 'love life' to the wife. She said that she could 'set me up' with one of the daughters friends. They invited me to this party at their house and all i knew was that the girl was 'cute'. so i was like "ok, im in!"

The girl ended up being somewhat cute but i think she had tattoos or something and she smoked too, i talked to her for like a few minutes but it was obvious right from the start that nothing was going to happen. Kind of disappointing, i did see a tremendous hottie across the room that i inquired about and of course, she was already taken.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostren View Post
I’ve thought about starting a thread on this for a while.

People have been trying to set me up practically my whole life. Just like last week I was ambushed with a blind date. I met a friend and his gf, and they had a friend who just so happen to be there to meet me.

With very few exceptions, all of the girls/women are ones I would never be attracted to physically, intellectually or emotionally. Last week was no exception. And without exception, I am always extremely polite about it…until I get the matchmaker alone and ask them what the hell were they thinking. Not because my ego was hurt, rather because they put two people in an uncomfortable situation.

The problem is with most matchmakers, it’s about satisfying their own need to control things rather than asking the most basic question about setting two people up, which is not “I think these two would be perfect for each other”. It is “would these two people be attracted to each other”.

There should be a law that most people (especially women, especially especially married/taken women) should be banned from setting people up. It’s a shame because meeting people through friends should be the best and easiest way to meet a potential mate, but often it can be the worst.
Wanna be set up? Lol j/k.

At least you tried them.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:12 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post

At least you tried them.

Raena, you should just post a list of who you'd like to set up and get it over with. I know you like being match maker.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
.......................evil people.
Lol that's a kiss. Mwahaha.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 PM

348 posts, read 549,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Geez...all us loosers sayin no, never, and DrVanNostren over here can't beat them off with a stick fast enough.

j/k DVN it was a good post, and quite true.

That's just what came to me when I read your name.
LOL, it's more of a curse most of the time.

Hopefully it didn't come across as self-centered, I didn't mean it that way.

I think the main reason that I get set up is because I'm very friendly. I'm not snobbish or rude to women nor will I ignore someone just based on appearance. In other words, I give off a vibe of some sort that suggests I'm a good match for most people since I get along with most people. Doesn't mean I want to date most people, but that seems to be irrelevant

Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Raena, you should just post a list of who you'd like to set up and get it over with. I know you like being match maker.
Haha I should!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:18 PM

348 posts, read 549,734 times
Quote:

At least you tried them.
LOL.

I think no matter what, it's important to be polite. Who knows, maybe the person I'm being set up with is equally as unattracted to me as I am to her? Either way, no reason to be a jerk.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Lol that's a kiss. Mwahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostren View Post
LOL, it's more of a curse most of the time.

Hopefully it didn't come across as self-centered, I didn't mean it that way.

I think the main reason that I get set up is because I'm very friendly. I'm not snobbish or rude to women nor will I ignore someone just based on appearance. In other words, I give off a vibe of some sort that suggests I'm a good match for most people since I get along with most people. Doesn't mean I want to date most people, but that seems to be irrelevant

Not at all, man. I'm just an asshat.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
I've helped set someone else up. Not because we cared about his personal life but we just wanted to have some laughs for ourselves. The best part is that they didn't even notice us in the same restaurant as them. It was great. It turned out to be bad for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships