Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 AM

39 posts, read 135,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
No.

I'm 37, single, have no intent to enter into a monogamous relationship anytime soon.

I think he has issues because of the reasons for not wanting a relationship that he listed
Wanting to keep my house tidy is having issues?? You must be kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Being single is the middle ground between being in a miserable or happy relationship.
I agree. According to stats, the first option is much more common unfortunately.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:07 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,262,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCatarre View Post
No.
Thinking that you can't have a relationship AND keep your house tidy MAY be a symptom of an issue.
Thinking that keeping your house tidy is more important than having a relationship MAY be a symptom of an issue.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
No.
Thinking that you can't have a relationship AND keep your house tidy MAY be a symptom of an issue.
Thinking that keeping your house tidy is more important than having a relationship MAY be a symptom of an issue.
It's only possible if you leave apart and I wouldn't want someone trying to tell me how I should run my house.

Keeping my house the way I want is not the only reason I can't have a relationship and you would know that if you had read what I've written previously (it's certainly not the main reason of course).

Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,116,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I certainly think there are people that should remain single, or want to remain single. Just like there are people that know they never want children, which I guess you, the OP, feels as well. There is a lot to be said for having the tranquility of your own place, decorated the way you want, fridge and cupboards filled with the food you like, your own little world. I don't think there is anything wrong wanting to remain single, and it is good that you are very honest with the women you date as to how you feel. BTW, my sister knew she never wanted children and it took her about 10 years to convince a doctor to tie her tubes.
10 years?? Did these doctors have some vested interest in your sister having kids or something?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:13 PM

249 posts, read 306,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm a single woman and 36 years old. You're a guy - single isn't necessarily something that's going to be viewed as a negative for the wider society. However, I've been on this site and gotten some rather patronizing comments about becoming a cat lady and whatnot.

Honestly, I've got awesome friends, some decent remaining family, a bunch of great dogs and a cat, a decent job and a raft of interests and hobbies. I'm living in probably the best place in the world for me to live and shaping myself into the kind of person I want to be.

The only problem is that I have a rather insane sex drive and I'm not into random hookups. So my overriding reason for wanting an exclusive relationship is, well, sex. I'm not looking to fall in love necessarily - I've been in love, and it was amazing until it ended. I'm glad it happened and ok if it never happens again - why force it, ya know?

But my advice is don't close yourself off to the possibility of an exclusive, long-term romantic relationship with someone you love. It's a great thing to experience, and so what if it ends? It doesn't erase the good times - and sometimes you can end it before things turn completely ugly, which is what me and my favorite ex did. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing, but don't miss out on something potentially awesome just because you've labeled yourself as a lifelong singleton. Remain open to possibilities.
The idiots that called you names are just that. There is nothing wrong with being single. And I completely understand the sex thing. It's my problem too.

But can I ask you? Were you the type that always had men chasing her and then you now find yourself in the situation you are in?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,262,527 times
Quote:
It's only possible if you leave apart
It's only possible to keep your house tidy if you live apart? I disagre.

Quote:
and I wouldn't want someone trying to tell me how I should run my house.
This is where we start to get into issues. Why do you think that someone is going to tell you how to run your house?
What's so scary/bad/unimaginable about doing things different than you do them now?

Quote:
Keeping my house the way I want is not the only reason I can't have a relationship and you would know that if you had read what I've written previously (it's certainly not the main reason of course).
I did read what you originally wrote.
YOU are the one that decided to focus on the tidiness of your house.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 PM

197 posts, read 207,813 times
Quote:
I'm with filihok here. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be single. But you are projecting all the benefits of not being in a relationship as if it is not possible to have those benefits WHILE being in a relationship, or even enhancing those benefits by entering in a relationship with someone who shares similar views.

But to each his own. I say you should just open your mind, and don't discount the benefits of being in a compatible relationship, lest you'll come on forums like these, ask the same questions, and get the same response. People who are truly happy being single wouldn't care whether others considered it odd or not. I notice that its people who claim to be satisfied, yet question their own premises on forums like this, that are holding onto views that will end up making them more unhappy as they constantly seek justification for their own beliefs and opinions (especially by viewing the alternatives in a negative light, as you are doing here).

Just enjoy life, whether you are single or not, and don't limit yourself by not considering altenatives.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,606,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I certainly think there are people that should remain single, or want to remain single. Just like there are people that know they never want children, which I guess you, the OP, feels as well.
Me too. There's nothing wrong with this! Not everyone is meant to be married or have children.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,186,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibioiniui View Post
I'm with filihok here. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be single. But you are projecting all the benefits of not being in a relationship as if it is not possible to have those benefits WHILE being in a relationship, or even enhancing those benefits by entering in a relationship with someone who shares similar views.

But to each his own. I say you should just open your mind, and don't discount the benefits of being in a compatible relationship, lest you'll come on forums like these, ask the same questions, and get the same response. People who are truly happy being single wouldn't care whether others considered it odd or not. I notice that its people who claim to be satisfied, yet question their own premises on forums like this, that are holding onto views that will end up making them more unhappy as they constantly seek justification for their own beliefs and opinions (especially by viewing the alternatives in a negative light, as you are doing here).

Just enjoy life, whether you are single or not, and don't limit yourself by not considering altenatives.
If someone can't find a compatible relationship then they must learn to enjoy there own company by default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships