Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times

Advertisements

ouch. i see we have sort of a tough crowd of ladies when it comes to the cannabis.

there are even some that say it's a dealbreaker with occasional smokers...i don't understand why. if they don't like it, then i won't smoke around them during the 4-5 times a month i choose to smoke it. it certainly beats having a hangover the next day. if you ladies think people are boring/dull/stupid while they smoke pot, you should drop in on me on a hangover day.

i've smoked occasionally of-and-on for the last five years. i don't consider myself to be dull witted. i don't make a big deal out of it either. it's a small entertainment expense of maybe $200 a year. when i was 21, i spent close to $3,000 on alcohol that year. i consider myself on the higher end of a social drinker, and it has more negatively affected my life in the past as opposed to cannabis, so i cut down on alcohol. i suppose the stigma still exists because of its illegality. i suppose that if i meet the right girl eventually, she would be the acceptable substitution for mary jane. i don't even smoke for half of the year.

i also like how people say that pot smoking is appropriate only for high school aged kids because they don't know any better. i didn't even try it until after i graduated high school.

(and yes, i do own a bong)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
occasional is fine (maybe a few times a month max?). daily, definitely no
im 25

Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM

300 posts, read 659,228 times
I'm 30. I used to smoke quite a bit, but now I smoke maybe a couple times a year. If I had my choice, I'd prefer a guy who was the same. I wouldn't like it if he smokes frequently because I see it as a weakness, and that turns me off. But I also wouldn't prefer a guy who had never smoked pot before and thought it was some scary, criminal act (ok, it is technically criminal, but whatevs.)

Weekly wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. Daily probably would. Multiple times a day definitely would.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:00 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times
I don't think there's anything wrong with cannabis nor using it recreationally or any way an individual chooses that doesn't harm anyone else. I used to smoke it while I was in college, and stopped due to fear of imprisonment if I were ever to be caught buying it or using it, or apply for a job that requires a urinalysis. Sure, I'd go out with or marry someone who used it and I'd probably teach my children about its medicinal use as well so that they don't grow up with an unreasonable taboo around it. We could live a peaceful, quiet life someplace rural and grow our own and lobby together for its decriminalization.

Although I'd prefer to use a vaporizer to retain the plant's potency and pure herbal essence.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:06 AM

415 posts, read 615,640 times
Absolute dealbreaker. Likewise with cigarettes or being an alkie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Haha, this is completely untrue, there are many, many pot smokers in all levels of society who go completely undetected, even by experts.

People would be shocked and horrified if all the secret smokers all stood up at once.
Oh, but it is true you can smell it. I love how people who smoke think that those of us who don't can't tell they smoke. I rent a room from a guy who smokes weed, I can smell it. The garage overwhelmingly smells of it. I love how smokers of cigarettes and pot will sit there and stuff their mouths full of gum and cover themselves in cologne or perfume. Yeah, I can't tell you toke. Sure, whatever. My dad smoked in the 70's...he can spot a pot smoker for miles away.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Female, 42, and totally 420 friendly,and I am alcohol friendly as well. I think it is perfectly fair for someone to choose one or both as a deal breaker. That said, I truly hate the debates pitting one against the other- there is nothing more boring than the "At least I don't _____ which is worse because of ________" argument. Own your vices fully or speak not.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:37 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I've read plenty of statistics talking about how many Americans smoke marijuana, but judging by the profiles I see on OKCupid you'd think it's damn near zero, at least for women. Even IRL most of my smoking buddies are guys.

How do you ladies feel about cannabis smokers? I'm not talking about burned out junkies, but people who smoke marijuana and still have their lives under control. The kind who you wouldn't know smoke unless they told you.

I feel like there's a bit of a generational divide on this one, so if y'all don't mind telling your age (or a range!) that'd be great for this informal, unscientific survey.

ps: Please let's not turn this into a political debate about cannabis legalization... go to P&OC for that.

If it's a once-in-a-while thing, like a special occasion or night with friends, it wouldn't bother me any more than it would bother me if he got buzzed or bombed for the same reasons.

However, if it's a regular occurrence and he's doing it just for the heck of it, then I wouldn't date him, pretty much for the same reasons I wouldn't date someone who got drunk all the time: I'd consider him irresponsible and immature at best (I'm in my mid-40s), and wonder if he had a dependency at worst.

But also, I wouldn't want drug dealers and other shady characters poking around. Agree or not, pot is illegal for the most part. I wouldn't want to deal with unsavory types coming around, and I wouldn't want addicts who dabble in harder drugs but smoke with him to be in my home, where they could potentially steal things of mine to feed their addictions. Likewise, I don't want to be associated with criminals.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:16 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Female, 42, and totally 420 friendly,and I am alcohol friendly as well. I think it is perfectly fair for someone to choose one or both as a deal breaker. That said, I truly hate the debates pitting one against the other- there is nothing more boring than the "At least I don't _____ which is worse because of ________" argument. Own your vices fully or speak not.

Deal breaker for some, reasons sometimes go deep, but if it's your thing, it's your thing, no need to argue against other vices of which some don't much care for or may indeed subscribe to. I respect other people's right to their beliefs. I can say, I have a knee jerk reaction to the subject at times for a reason. I do have people close to me that likely partake in use of cannabis, they just know not to do so around me.

In my early 20's, I lost a number of very close friends to their lives of drug usage it consumed them, I just can't be around people when they are in an altered state brought on by drug usage. I continue to try to locate one of my dearest friends, my baby sister used to keep tabs on my friend for me, but my sister passed and I no longer know if my best friend is alive or dead as well, my guess is she's long gone. She was my best friend since the age of 10 till we no longer had commonalities, but she's always been a part of my heart always will be. My brother, he grew up in a different world than I and in his late 30's died a horrible death related to his drug usage. Not that it was cannabis that destroy their lives, just that any street drug usage or abuse of alcohol and or legal drugs for that matter, make me not want to be around the individual. Doesn't mean to me those that use are bad people, I believe the vast majority are decent, just makes not for good company for either of us, I'm just too square when it comes to this area of life.

Besides, I myself don't need drugs to alter my mind, I discovered in my teens, I can do the same thing that cannabis () does without smoking it or maybe I'm just insane. Music does it for me, I think most people can do it without the drugs.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:45 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Besides, I myself don't need drugs to alter my mind, I discovered in my teens, I can do the same thing that cannabis () does without smoking it or maybe I'm just insane. Music does it for me, I think most people can do it without the drugs.
My policy with marijuana is that I use it to make things different, not 'better.' Music does sound amazing while high, but my favorite music still moves me when I'm stone cold sober. I think having that sort of mindset makes it less likely that you'll get a psychological addiction to smoking.

Speaking of music, I'm pretty bad at playing bass when I'm high as a Georgia pine. I don't know how some musicians do it haha... I can write some good stuff in my head but putting pen to paper (or fingers to bass string) has to be done when I'm not chemically altered.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:06 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
My policy with marijuana is that I use it to make things different, not 'better.' Music does sound amazing while high, but my favorite music still moves me when I'm stone cold sober. I think having that sort of mindset makes it less likely that you'll get a psychological addiction to smoking.

Speaking of music, I'm pretty bad at playing bass when I'm high as a Georgia pine. I don't know how some musicians do it haha... I can write some good stuff in my head but putting pen to paper (or fingers to bass string) has to be done when I'm not chemically altered.
I can leave the planet depending upon the music I'm listening to music even hit such an erotic nerve it's chilling. One such song just came on, it's been running as part of a commercial, first time hearing it in it's totality. some of the lyrics "And it feels like I am just to close to love you. Who is that, do you know? Love the music, I believe it runs for a google or some internet/computer product as well. Anyway, there are dozens of sounds that can literally space me out. I've kind of gotten away from that. I used to be in a band in my teens, lead vocalist. I'm afraid it was more to be eye candy than anything else.

Bass player huh? Cool.

Last edited by TRosa; 10-27-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships