Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I've temporarily made my photo album public. These are the most recent pictures of me and not the ones used for a dating profile; these were just readily accessible when I created my profile.

Last summer/fall, I did an experiment to see if there is a difference between paid and free online sites. I did it for a blog entry so I tracked the results. The sites were Match and OK Cupid. Here are my results:

Ok Cupid: From 7/15-9/8, 87 men viewed my profile. Of those, I received messages from 6 men and sent a message to one. Of the six I received messages from, I replied back to one and that was the end of that. Another and I traded several messages but never went beyond that. He was the first to contact me, and was also the first to contact me 2 years ago when I tried the site for the first time. Of the one I contacted, I did not get a response.

From 9/9-9/27, my profile was viewed 10 times. I did not receive or send messages during this time. From 9/28-10/4, I received 4 profile views; again, did not send or receive messages during this time.

On Match, from 7/4-7/14, my profile was viewed 12 times, mostly by men out of my range. A peek of my settings revealed Match had changed my age range and increased it by 5 years on each side. I received two e-mails in response to ones I sent, both of which went back and forth a few times and fizzled. I did not receive any initial messages. I sent 12 winks; one viewed my profile but didn't respond, the other two sent the "thanks but no thanks" message without looking at my profile.

From 7/15-9/8, my profile was viewed 46 times, mostly by men over 45 despite my age range of 30-45. No winks or messages received. From 9/9-9/27, only 14 views, no winks or messages. From 9/28-10/3, only 5 profile views; again no winks or messages.

So either I'm the most unattractive woman to ever put up a profile, or the argument that women gets tons of messages just doesn't hold true for every single woman.
Sounds like you are getting a lot of views. Most people don't click on profiles with an unattractive photo.

So it's your content...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I would also include the moderately obese women as options for men. If she could stand to lose 40 or 50 lbs, but she has a cute face, i'd say that's a realistic option. If she's like 100+ lbs overweight, most guys probably won't be interested in her.
I'd ask any woman who's 30+ pounds overweight how many genuine interested guys would consider her. They'll be few and far between. She'll get the guys who'll sleep with her but won't be seen with her in public, the guys who'll be with her because she's the best they can do right now but they're keeping their options open, the guys who think she'll be desperate and easy because of her weight, and the bigger girls will get the fetish guys. Like we've said before most women don't want to just be "an option" for a man.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:54 AM

362 posts, read 559,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Maybe because they aren't so good-looking.

Show me a good-looking guy with an attractive body and a lot of money who can't get a date?
If he's basically a d****bag.... he can't keep one. Pretty, and loaded don't ever make up for a lack of common courtesy and compassion. As to the money, just because they got it doesn't mean they are willing to spend it on a date, or girlfriend, or significant other. My experience is that the more money they have, the cheaper they are. I'd take a poor guy with a generous spirt over a d****bag any day.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:00 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'd ask any woman who's 30+ pounds overweight how many genuine interested guys would consider her. They'll be few and far between. She'll get the guys who'll sleep with her but won't be seen with her in public: the guys who'll be with her because she's the best they can do right now but they're keeping their options open; and the bigger girls will get the fetish guys. Like we've said before most women don't want to just be "an option" for a man.
30 lbs is nothing.

Let's say you're 5'6" and 170 lbs. You'll still get LOTS of interest. Especially if you have the weight in the right places.

Browse Photos - My Body Gallery - What Real Women Look Like

Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,180,185 times
Quote:
I'd ask any woman who's 30+ pounds overweight how many genuine interested guys would consider her. They'll be few and far between. She'll get the guys who'll sleep with her but won't be seen with her in public, the guys who'll be with her because she's the best they can do right now but they're keeping their options open, the guys who think she'll be desperate and easy because of her weight, and the bigger girls will get the fetish guys. Like we've said before most women don't want to just be "an option" for a man.
Well, what exactly do they want to be, then? Everyone is an option when they first start out dating. Once you get to know each other and get closer, then you start really valuing each other. Of course, then the woman complains that you are too clingy. Guys just can't win... women get upset when you don't care enough, and then they get upset when you care too much.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I still can't figure it out...

Old 10-27-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think they struggle to get dates because of their standards more than anything else.

ANYONE can get a date or have sex if they lower their standards enough. Anyone.

I guess it depends on your definition of enough. I have lowered my standards somewhat in recent years, but there is no point in lowering your standards so far that you are with someone you aren't attracted to. You won't be happy, and you'll constantly be tempted to stray.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Well, what exactly do they want to be, then? Everyone is an option when they first start out dating. Once you get to know each other and get closer, then you start really valuing each other. Of course, then the woman complains that you are too clingy. Guys just can't win... women get upset when you don't care enough, and then they get upset when you care too much.
I can't speak for all women, but most women want to be wanted for who they are as a person, not just because he's horny and she's available.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I can't speak for all women, but most women want to be wanted for who they are as a person, not just because he's horny and she's available.
If that's what they want, then they should stop wearing the tightest clothes they can find when they go out places. It's so hypocritical how women complain that men view them as sex objects, when they themselves intentionally flaunt their sexuality. This is why i can't really feel much sympathy for women who complain that guys only care about their bodies and not about them as a person. Of course, not ALL women dress this way, but a lot of them do. If they didn't flaunt themselves, maybe guys would take more time to get to know and appreciate them as people.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:02 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is why I like NWGirl's posts, because they're so real.
Thanks, Ruth! That's how I feel about yours too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships