Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:42 AM
J24

448 posts, read 861,835 times

Advertisements

If I ever dated a girl that dumb, I'd probably end up with some serious brain damage myself after bashing my head against a wall.

Intelligence is very important. I like to have intelligent conversations with the girls I date from time to time. I've dated girls who aren't quite as dumb as Ms. Pickler there, but not too much better. It isn't fun.

As for success, that too is important to me. Or at the very least striving for success. I don't want to date a girl who would be perfectly fine being a bum not working toward a career or any life goals. I want someone who is or at least wants to go somewhere in life.

Honestly though, the two generally go hand in hand. Intelligent people are more than likely going to be more driven to strive for success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 12:54 AM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Intelligence is very important. I like to have intelligent conversations with the girls I date from time to time. I've dated girls who aren't quite as dumb as Ms. Pickler there, but not too much better. It isn't fun.

As for success, that too is important to me. Or at the very least striving for success. I don't want to date a girl who would be perfectly fine being a bum not working toward a career or any life goals. I want someone who is or at least wants to go somewhere in life.

Honestly though, the two generally go hand in hand. Intelligent people are more than likely going to be more driven to strive for success.
I've never understood how men could marry their secretary. I guess those are men who are older, and need to have someone young around to help them feel young. But still. You'd think they'd become starved for intelligent conversation at some point.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:06 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,713,374 times
they don't want that dummy in OP on paper, yea okay. but at the end of the day, if she is attractive enough, how smart or witty she is becomes less and less of a definitive factor. Seen it with my own eyes....

Old 10-27-2012, 05:12 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,184,843 times
People who are attractive generally get underestimated intellectually.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:51 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,755,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
People who are attractive generally get underestimated intellectually.
I think it depends on how they're attractive. If Ms. Pickler had a brain, she would still be viewed as not quite bright b/c she looks like a ditzy blonde. I've met other very good looking people who do appear to be intelligent and sometimes really are when I get to know them. I was going to say that darker haired people are often perceived as more intelligent but then it came to me that Meryl Streep looks smart and Kim Kardashian does not and I think most people would agree with me that there has to be at least a 50 IQ point spread between them.

I think it is harder for intelligent people to find dates and esp if they're looking for a good match, b/c if you think about the bell curve for IQs, 80% of people are going to be average and 10% are going to be dumber than Kelly Pickles and 10% are going to be smart but that will narrow as you go further up the scale. Once you get up into a 130-140 range, you're only talking about 2% of the population and that will narrow your options considerably, esp if you're a woman. That's why our moms used to tell us to pretend to be dumber, so we could get dates.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:04 AM

11,379 posts, read 24,385,676 times
Better looking people are more attractive. Attractive means exactly what it means. Does intelligence count in dating? I don't think it matters much at first because it can't been seen.

It matters in many other ways that are more much important. Smart people tend to work together and often share common interests, so the dating pool starts to sort itself out. If you're both homely and smart, don't look for dates in places where your best attributes won't be recognized.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:49 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
I have never been attracted to stupid women. I like girls who are smart ... the smarter the better.

If there isn't much between the ears then the rest is probably not that interesting.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:35 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,307,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IDK, all I know is I've read about studies that have been done on this, and it says that good-looking people are taken for more intelligent. But maybe that wasn't definitive.
They needed to make different striations within the ranks of the good-looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships