Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Yea, I do believe it because they are my friends.

They've met women through the natural course of school or work, and when they acted on their hunches they were always right.

My one college buddy was telling me he would never ask out a girl he wasnt sure liked him, and I believe him because he had several such options in college.

Of course, these guys never played the bar scene. Every guy faces rejection there.

But when they got to know a woman in a casual setting, and they thought she liked them, they were always right.
Bleh. I am horrible at telling whether or not a girl is interested in me. Missed too many opportunities this way. Still kick myself in the foot for some. I go in completely blind in these situations.

The other day I needed to be told someone was checking me out. Too bad I was in a hurry to go somewhere....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 08:17 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Bleh. I am horrible at telling whether or not a girl is interested in me. Missed too many opportunities this way. Still kick myself in the foot for some. I go in completely blind in these situations.

The other day I needed to be told someone was checking me out. Too bad I was in a hurry to go somewhere....
Not to sound like a broken record, but this where looks comes in...

My friend Jon in college who was good looking but not enough to be an actor or model or anything.

-Girls would ask him out.
-Guys would tell him which girls liked him.
-Girls would tell him which other girls liked him.
-At least freshman year, girls would say naughty things to him.

When you aren't good looking enough to get that, you reach for signals.

Not to say you're not good looking, I don't know anything about you.

But for me, all signals have always been wrong. So for me, there are no missed opportunities because no woman likes me until I am at least kissing her or until she says "Jobaba, I like you (never happened)."

Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Not to sound like a broken record, but this where looks comes in...

My friend Jon in college who was good looking but not enough to be an actor or model or anything.

-Girls would ask him out.
-Girls would tell him which other girls liked him.
-At least freshman year, girls would say naughty things to him.

When you aren't good looking enough to get that, you reach for signals.

Not to say you're not good looking, I don't know anything about you.

But for me, all signals have always been wrong.
It's not common for me to be asked out. In my classes there are like two girls. But I have been catcalled and checked out and talked dirty to. I blush, and downplay it. But I don't act on it, because I could never feel comfortable around women who physically want me that much straight out of the blue.

I've always been this way. I hid from a girl in second grade because she told me I have pretty eyes. Somehow, I am romantically shy, despite being a romantic.
Then there are women who do it much more subtly, some which I considered my friends.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 PM

And I am terribly bad at noticing the subtle signals.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Yea... women hate clingy guys like me... it sucks. That's one of the reasons i think women are mean. Once you get attached and start to show them how much you care, they ditch you.
Some of us are not super "attach-y." My mom tells me, when she dropped me off at pre-school when I was 2 and a half I didn't cry. I was excited to go somewhere new. :P

There are other women who don't feel like you care unless you are attached. But you need to wait to show your clingy tendencies to see what she wants.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Some of us are not super "attach-y." My mom tells me, when she dropped me off at pre-school when I was 2 and a half I didn't cry. I was excited to go somewhere new. :P

There are other women who don't feel like you care unless you are attached. But you need to wait to show your clingy tendencies to see what she wants.
Lol.

In Russia, I was hospitalized once, to get treatment for my ear infection.

In there, they treated young boys like men!
We were to get up in the morning and walk ourselves to the doctor to get two shots! And the doctor didn't give them if you cried either. And if you didn't attend treatment, they told your parents!

It was a big hospital and I got lost once...

Asked for directions, and I was pointed to a map and was told to figure it out!

...ever since then, I hated doctors... But I equally hate children who cry in hospitals because they are scared of the doctor!

Imagine that, being a little kid and told you won't get better and be sick for the rest of your life unless you manned up and went to the doctor yourself, without mommy.

It was there where I got my independence.
And sense of direction, since a hospital is pretty big for a six year old...

But it was there where I was happy to see my grandma again, after a month of no visitation.

That's why I get attached, at the same time as giving independence. I don't want to lose anyone, but I can handle being by myself.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:02 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Lol.

We were to get up in the morning and walk ourselves to the doctor to get two shots! And the doctor didn't give them if you cried either. And if you didn't attend treatment, they told your parents!

...ever since then, I hated doctors... But I equally hate children who cry in hospitals because they are scared of the doctor!

Imagine that, being a little kid and told you won't get better and be sick for the rest of your life unless you manned up and went to the doctor yourself, without mommy.

But it was there where I was happy to see my grandma again, after a month of no visitation.

That's why I get attached, at the same time as giving independence. I don't want to lose anyone, but I can handle being by myself.
This is so horrible. You poor little boy. Come here and get a hug.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Lol.

Wow, that's crazy! **hugs for your six year old self!**

Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 PM

For me, I find that something really critical in terms of "attachment" is time and attention. We don't have to spend every moment together, but when we are together I want your full attention!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:12 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Lol.

Wow, you poor thing. *hugs*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships