Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

I was catching up on my stack of magazines, and picked up Glamour. I saw the following article:
Why Breakups Are Harder on Men: Sex, Love & Life: glamour.com

And it is based on the book, The Chemistry Between Us: Love, Sex and the Science of Attraction
The Chemistry Between Us

It is basically the relationship book Malcolm Gladwell would write. Lots of science and evidence presented in an engaging way. Check it out if you like Freakanomics, Malcolm Gladwell and Guns, Germs and Steel.

I've just gotten started, but the studies they have found are really really interesting.
Like the Las Salinas in Dominican Republic where a subset of the women hit puberty and turn into men. Oh and women really start flirting and up their game with the bad boys when they are ovulating.

Check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Makes a lot of sense. My break ups were always difficult for me, even if I was the one doing the break-ups.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:09 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Jump in the Z and hit 120. Or take a few shots of HoneyJack and call her in the morning.

[d'oh...maybe that's what they meant...]

Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 PM

So I am halfway done with this book, and this is definitely the relationship book for science nerds.

There is a great chapter on how falling in love is like doing drugs, another one about how strippers make more money when ovulating. Oh and some really really interesting stuff about rats (voles) and monogamy.

I can't wait to see what crazy example will turn up next!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:52 PM

300 posts, read 659,420 times
Oh it's definitely like doing drugs. Sometimes what we think is love is only an addiction to our own brain chemicals. Somehow that one person becomes the dopamine trigger, and we cling like a junkie to the needle. Been there!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:52 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Jade keep us updated. Sounds interesting.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:20 PM

OK so I finished it (I read very fast).

Super interesting.

One area that was really intriguing was the research around how mother-child bond affects your future relationships. Without going too chemistry, but one interesting result is that daughters with less of a "bond" actually started having sex earlier than ones with more of a "bond."

Oh and the chapter on cheating, polygamy and dopamine recepters was very interesting!

Another fun topic was around men and "territory" protecting and how that relates to bar fights.

The book ends with a lot of discussion around how knowing which chemicals trigger the emotions we feel could be applied to all sorts of areas, from improving autism symptoms, and improving feelings of "love" and "attachment" in arranged marriages.

Totally worth a read, and such a "good" application of chemistry. (And I am not very clued in on the whole brain chemistry thing, that was one area I totally did horribly in during school)

Old 11-04-2012, 11:17 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
If you're interested in reading attachment patterns in adult romantic relationships, a book you might want to add to your Amazon wishlist:
Attachment in Psychotherapy

Interesting read even if you are not a clinician. Helps to get a picture of who you're dating and how your dynamics may play out. You don't have to be a person's therapist. You can also gain insight to your own patterns too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships