Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 08:08 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Take the good looks away though, and you would likely not have had the success.
Right. So Madeleine Albright was appointed Sec'y of State due to her good looks alone. You're so wise, why didn't I see this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 08:33 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,762 times
To be fair...I do think that looks have a subtle affect in certain arenas, especially in "face-time" jobs, you know, how bartenders and salespeople and news anchors all tend to be fairly attractive if not mind blowingly so. I think that looks can be the slight edge that gives you a leg up on someone say, you were competing with for the corner office. The manager isn't conciously thinking, gee, Jeff is sure good looking, let's give it to him, but rather, if two people are closely matched in other ways, he or she might unconsciously favor the more attractive one.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You forgot to mention how our poop smells like roses and how people throw money at us as we walk by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
That half-shell we sleep in isn't very comfortable, and the animals tending to our needs can get out of hand sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I also like how it stops raining when I step out of the house. In the winter it warms up to 80 degrees and in the summer it cools down to 80 degrees as well.

To have such control over the weather, Life is just so wonderful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I forgot about those things. Well, I have to get going. There is a line of men waiting to rub my feet. There just aren't enough hours in the day! Life can be so hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
I just shoot most of the men and women as the crowds get too thick. And, hey, it's not like any court would convict us.
Just rub it in guys!

when I try to step, the dirt tries to move out the way!

When I try to put on my shoes, they turn around and start kicking my shins!

I get my shirt half-way on and the sleeves wrap around my neck and start choking me!

Hell, when I get out of bed every morning, the bed throws me out onto the damn ground. I got bruises on my head from all the time I land on my head!

Y'all dont know.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:45 PM

^^^ Best collection of C-D humor in history! ROFL!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:49 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Just rub it in guys!

when I try to step, the dirt tries to move out the way!

When I try to put on my shoes, they turn around and start kicking my shins!

I get my shirt half-way on and the sleeves wrap around my neck and start choking me!

Hell, when I get out of bed every morning, the bed throws me out onto the damn ground. I got bruises on my head from all the time I land on my head!

Y'all dont know.
Trying to keep a mirror must be rough for you.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I plain disagree. I put in serious effort to get good grades...

While others were partying, I was studying.
I also put in effort to get a six-pack, learn multiple languages, being a good friend, learn to play the piano...

And many other things.

...all while having a hearing disability.

And I did all of that as well (except for the 6pack thing...not a huge fan to be honest), earned an engineering degree and my pilots licenses while working full time with a genetic disorder that made me get IV infusions for a few hours every other week. Yet, people who have worked 1/4 as hard as I have are more successful than I am because of who they married, who they date and how good looking they are.

Life isn't fair, get over it.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
...all while having a hearing disability.
So this is why your middle name is Beethoven?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
To be fair...I do think that looks have a subtle affect in certain arenas, especially in "face-time" jobs, you know, how bartenders and salespeople and news anchors all tend to be fairly attractive if not mind blowingly so. I think that looks can be the slight edge that gives you a leg up on someone say, you were competing with for the corner office. The manager isn't conciously thinking, gee, Jeff is sure good looking, let's give it to him, but rather, if two people are closely matched in other ways, he or she might unconsciously favor the more attractive one.
Actually - I agree with you. To some extent, being attractive can make some things easier. I know that I got some of my "day" jobs (meaning my nonperformance jobs) because they liked the way I looked. However, these were not high paying or demanding jobs. They were working at the front desk at an upscale gym and working as a hostess - jobs where they want attractive lookin people to greet the clientele. And - yeah - I'm glad I got the jobs because they helped pay my rent while I was auditioning for shows. What I didn't like was when one of the members at the gym started going on and on about how hot I was and made me turn around for him in front of my manager. He told my manager how hot I was - and she said, "I know! That's why we hired her!" That was not fun. For the record - I was one of the best employees because I was also smart - but being treated like a piece of meat doesn't necessarily feel good.
I honestly think that the higher up on the job chain you go - the less looks matter. They might give you a slight edge (probably an unconscious edge) but if you don't have the brains or experience - it isn't going to matter.
However, I'm fully willing to admit that I have often benefitted from good service because of my looks. BUT this does not mean that attractive people live happier lives or that unattractive people are miserable. Some of my most attractive friends are unhappier than some of my less attractive friends.
Being attractive is a desirable trait. So is being rich. So is being funny. So is intelligence. So is being patient. So is being understanding. The more desirable traits you have - the more successful you will probably be. One desirable trait isn't going to set you on the path to Easy Street.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:30 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So this is why your middle name is Beethoven?
I dunno. I just really like instrumental music.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And I did all of that as well (except for the 6pack thing...not a huge fan to be honest), earned an engineering degree and my pilots licenses while working full time with a genetic disorder that made me get IV infusions for a few hours every other week. Yet, people who have worked 1/4 as hard as I have are more successful than I am because of who they married, who they date and how good looking they are.

Life isn't fair, get over it.
I define success as the realization of a worthy ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships