Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
But the OP is not on welfare.
Not her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,397 times
Wow a friend has to take care of a child? That is sad.

Those women do have the option not to have kids though. They should concentrate on education and work instead.

You will hardly see a South and East Asian women have children before marriage though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Because I'm friends with her and she probably would have mentioned it.

I took care of her kids sometimes, and her Mom is retired so she did a lot of the babysitting.

I see it all the time, single moms are usually blamed for making poor decisions.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post

Those women do have the option not to have kids though. They should concentrate on education and work instead.

You will hardly see a South and East Asian women have children before marriage though.
I did it voluntarily. I had a regular schedule and she worked evenings and weekends so I offered my time to take care of her kids because I'm a good person and wanted to help her out.

Yes, she had the option not to have kids, but she did. The damage is done, no use trying to change your past. She has a cosmetology license, by the way, and basically has her own business doing hair and nails. She completed that before she had her kids.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,151 times
I am an older childless woman who just never met the right guy to have kids with so it wasn't a choice. I could have had kids earlier if I wanted to be a single mom but refused to raise a child without a father.

I don't know what the OP looks like but often people are way too picky beyond what they are. I don't date single dads but so many parents refuse to date other single parents then complain when childless reject them. Many childless aren't interested in being a step parent and can't blame them when in many states they might end up supporting the kids and possibly even the ex.

Having said that, while I avoid single dads, I think men who have out of wedlock children (especially multiple and definitely with more than one woman)are scum and would avoid.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post

Not really sure I understand your judgement.

I've watched my friends kids. They were all married, working mothers and I wasn't working out of the home at the time so I provided daycare for them.

What is the difference if she had a friend watch the kids or if she sent them to daycare? Working mothers do this all the time. Why is it sad for a single mother to provide her child with daycare from a familiar person?

Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,852 times
I don't really care if a woman has kids or not, as I don't mind children... it's just that at this stage of my life I feel like I'm not ready to be a parent (not even done with school, so I feel I wouldn't provide adequately), and if things went to **** I'd feel really badly about being a father figure to a child and then not being in their life anymore.

That's the honest truth.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:57 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,037 times
To respond to some of the things said in the last few pages In my personal experience, People are only critical of some single moms when they try to do the whole

"He magically turned into a dead beat/Loser/walked out on me when I told him I was pregnant"

And That's BULLS***.(the vast majority of the time)

Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
To respond to some of the things said in the last few pages In my personal experience, People are only critical of some single moms when they try to do the whole

"He magically turned into a dead beat/Loser/walked out on me when I told him I was pregnant"

And That's BULLS***.(the vast majority of the time)
You do realize that there are relationships where people have children together and then for whatever reason, down the road, the relationship ends and that woman becomes a "single mom". One of my friends was with her bf from the age of 17 until she was 23.. And then she got pregnant. In the beginning things were good, but the first year after having their child put a huge strain on their relationship, and eventually they felt co-parenting was the "better" option so they split. She is now a single mom, and she told me that one of the issues she had with him, was that their entire relationship he WORKED. When she got pregnant, he WORKED. Right before she had her daughter he was laid off. That entire year he did not work, and recieved unemployment. He claimed he could not find a job that paid him as much as he got in unemployment, and threw out a ton of excuses. Then when his unemployment ran out, he STILL did not work. She was the one working. It still boggles her mind, because he was ALWAYS a worker. I'm not saying that these stories happen often, but I do think that people CAN change. It happens all the time. Even when people get married. One person changes, or the other doesn't change "enough" and it causes a "divide". And then there are cases(and probably a lot) where the woman slept with a guy she KNEW was not "father" or "relationship" material and got pregnant by him and thought he was going to step up even when there were CLEAR red flags that he wasn't.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:26 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,407 times
OP you should be proud of yourself but I have to dispute the fact that you don't collect child support for your child. Even if you don't technically need it, it is a disservice to your child to neglect it. I put the vast majority of the child support I get into a savings account for my children to use when they become adults. You could do the same.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Because I'm friends with her and she probably would have mentioned it.

I took care of her kids sometimes, and her Mom is retired so she did a lot of the babysitting.

I see it all the time, single moms are usually blamed for making poor decisions.
They chosed or picked to be with the guy, she spreaded her legs with wings of an eagle and got knocked up. Both men and women share responsibility when raising a child. Its a two way highway however women have more lanes. With people living longer whats the point of spending your life with one person, after all people are animals. I really hope some medical break through can make it more easier for more mature older women to have kids who decided not to have kids when fruitful.

Where Im from both men and women get flack for single parenting but yes its mostly women that take the heat why? They want the baby but they dont know what type of man they want for longevity and get caught up in the cycle of single generational single motherhood. Single moms can get dates and relationships, even more kids but no trip to the alter or to the court house to pick up marriage certificate. The area around where i live is around 75 percent single mothers and most likely your brother or sister will not be a full blooded sibling and but most likely half. Single moms have issues from my dating experience, I just recently met a woman who is childless, yes high fives.

At the end of the day a single mom must soldier on.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 11-02-2012 at 01:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships