Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:42 AM

88 posts, read 159,271 times

Advertisements

Yeah. So.

It all started on Facebook

He was a friend of a friend, I can't remember who requested the add... at first, there was a lot of frenzied "OH MY GOSH HOW ARE YOU AND WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??" conversations and just catching up on how life was going. I hadn't seen him in years, not since my family moved away from the town I spent most of my childhood in. It was a pleasant surprise to reconnect with, well, my best friend - someone that I can remember spending many days and nights playing with outside, sitting on the playground and talking for hours (like, we really used to wax poetic about some really deep stuff to be seven- eight- nine-years-old at that point...), eating lunch and doing homework together, etc., etc.

Probably the first inkling that things could be problematic was a conversation we had about loss. We'd both lost someone in our immediate family, and in the same manner. I think even then - I thought things were getting too emotional and the conversations a bit intense, but didn't say it aloud because I thought that maybe it was just me... and I didn't want to make things out to be something they weren't. Or moreso, just to even bring that into the conversation...and, at that point, it wasn't like we were chatting every day, moreso just every now and again. And it was so helpful to have someone to talk to who understood. But most importantly, it couldn't be an issue because... I was in a relationship...and he was newly married.

So, fast-forward to the present. Our chats were ramping up again. He wanted to meet for lunch and I said I didn't think that was a good idea. Then he asked if I was seeing anyone, and I said no. And out came the proposition - which, it all happened so fast. I was speechless. He apologized profusely. And he didn't contact me again for a while after that...but his FB posts were becoming more and more cryptic, and while I couldn't be positive he was talking about me, the shoe seemed to fit.

The funny thing is, while our personalities are quite similar, we are certainly different on the outside - I've grown up to be the indie/green living/hipster/artsy type, the quintessential granola-eating black girl living in a downtown loft apartment and backpacking through Europe in the summers...he's grown up to be the stereotype of all things Southern - the proud owner of a big truck with mud tires and the sprawling country house, has a heavy drawl, loves his mama, football, fishing, country music and sweet tea. (Of course, good/bad character is universal..)

He texted me the other day to say he was sorry, among other things. I told him ok...and that was it.

I'm just posting because, I'm still in shock...I know not to engage further....the sad thing is, we were both raised in really religious, conservative families...he knows I'm not that kind of girl....though I am ashamed to say that when I fell asleep that night, I had the most all-kinds-of-erotic dream and woke up really hot and bothered.

I've had that what-if-this-had-happened-maybe-five-years-ago-instead-of-two moment, but of course that doesn't really matter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Forest and Jenny?

(also, don't do it. he'll never ever leave his wife)

Old 11-03-2012, 10:01 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Forest and Jenny?

LOL, Forest and Jenny is what came to mind too when she mentioned he was a childhood friend.

And I agree as well...he'll never leave his wife. He wants his cake and eat it too. OP, You are wise to leave it alone.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
You thought you were being friendly and he was starting an emotional affair. He should be saving his deep conversations for his wife. Many affairs start over finding old friends and lovers on fb.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:32 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Ew. Unfriend him. Nothing like reconnecting with an old friend and getting propositioned. I'm sorry - reconnecting can be such a positive experience.

You did nothing wrong - this is a guy who was just looking for an excuse or opportunity. And honestly, he's not a very good person.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:42 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,452 times
You should take the opportunity! Men are much more attentive with their mistresses than with their wives. And you can't he wasn't honest.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Unfriend him and move on. People change and we can't bring back the past. Unfortunately, he is obviously missing some character building blocks that you picked up and used to build your own life along the way.

Your former friendship doesn't give him the right to suggest something that is so out of line. If I were you, I would be very offended.

What's this "mistress" stuff anyway? Did he use that word? Or did he just ask to get in your pants?

I don't know which would offend me the most.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:24 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
You should take the opportunity! Men are much more attentive with their mistresses than with their wives. And you can't he wasn't honest.
Perhaps, if the man happened to be married to a potted cactus or something. I'd like to think that most sensible men would choose wives they would want to be attentive to. But I've never been married before, not counting that one time in Vegas, so what do I know.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:37 PM

837 posts, read 1,287,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Perhaps, if the man happened to be married to a potted cactus or something. I'd like to think that most sensible men would choose wives they would want to be attentive to. But I've never been married before, not counting that one time in Vegas, so what do I know.
The mistress has it better than the wife.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:54 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Forest and Jenny?

Lol, I love forrest gump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships