Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 PM

300 posts, read 659,377 times

Advertisements

So if you go on a few dates with a person, and it's going well, probably you've kissed already, thinking about getting more physical... do you usually ask the person what they're looking for? I'm curious because I've run into a number of guys who are just into casual dating. They're not thinking about moving on to a committed relationship, but they do want to meet up, go out, sleep together. Of course they don't usually say this in the beginning. It hurts to get involved with someone like this only to find out that they have no interest in a serious relationship.

But then again, some people are put off by being asked early on, as if they're being rushed or forced to commit immediately. I asked a guy this recently and he was like "baaa? ba whaaa? oooh... ahhhhmmm..." Glad I asked though because I was just starting to get attached when he admitted he was only looking for flings. But then I wonder if my asking is what turned him off.

How do y'all play it?

Oh yeah, I'm not really asking advice about this particular guy. Just a more general question as the title indicates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I don't know, honestly. I'm usually the one who gets asked by the guy I'm dating. It doesn't turn me off, but it is hard to give an answer sometimes when you're put on the spot.

Maybe some guys don't like it because they think women are looking for an instant husband?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
I think everyone would love to find someone that completely fulfills their needs and desires, but I don't think it should be forced. If the spark is there from the beginning, that's great. Just go with it and not worry where things are heading. If its meant to be, it's going to happen regardless of any reservations either particular party may have going into it.

Things have a way of falling into place on their own. Enjoying the ride is just as important as the final destination.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Analyze him.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 PM

17 posts, read 18,872 times
If I start feeling for the other person, then I ask at the latest after the first night of intimacy (does not have to mean intercourse).

Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I think everyone would love to find someone that completely fulfills their needs and desires, but I don't think it should be forced. If the spark is there from the beginning, that's great. Just go with it and not worry where things are heading. If its meant to be, it's going to happen regardless of any reservations either particular party may have going into it.

Things have a way of falling into place on their own. Enjoying the ride is just as important as the final destination.
I think the point is that she doesn't want to waste time with someone who's just in it for the nookie.

It may not be meant to be but some people will still take advantage of another's feelings for them to get what they want.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:58 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I think the point is that she doesn't want to waste time with someone who's just in it for the nookie.

It may not be meant to be but some people will still take advantage of another's feelings for them to get what they want.
Well two things can happen. The sex can be so amazing that the guy all of a sudden feels the desire to commit long term. That, or the OP can choose to not have sex with a particular guy until she knows he's interested in her for more than just a nice warm wet place to stick his pecker into (the guys looking to hit and quit aren't going to work at it too terribly hard before moving onto someone else).

Old 11-07-2012, 09:03 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,333 times
It's practically ingrained in male biology to want to be free - free to sleep with other women, free to hang with the boys and watch football, but also free to make the non-pressured decision to settle in a relationship with you.

I think your best bet is to use your own judgment when meeting guys and I never thought I would advise this, but to hold off on sex if you're unsure.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 AM

78 posts, read 120,012 times
I think he could be saying that because of the vibe you may give. It might've been a complete 180 for him. I'm sure his ego was stroked a little, but that doesn't mean he can't be weirded out by the idea that he might be in something serious when he thought he wasn't. I remember my point at that with my fiance. She went from talking about my favorite band (Brand New), to asking if we were going to be exclusive or not. That's usually a hard decision for a guy, but after a lunch break I was aware that I didn't want to be with anyone else at the moment.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 AM

78 posts, read 120,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
It's practically ingrained in male biology to want to be free - free to sleep with other women, free to hang with the boys and watch football, but also free to make the non-pressured decision to settle in a relationship with you.

I think your best bet is to use your own judgment when meeting guys and I never thought I would advise this, but to hold off on sex if you're unsure.
I don't know how old you are, but I could give horrible stories of things that "haddd happpend" with my friends. I don't wish this on any girl and I am sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships