Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBeamDreams View Post
I've been thinking about this lately. the emotional pain i see people go through seems to be severe. all my friends are in relationships and end up being used, cheated on, misled, ect. I've never seem them happy. they always keep telling me how they wish they were single again like me. two of my friends are married now and they are depressed and actually have to ask their wives if they can go out when i phone them. WTF? There seems to be so much arguing and jealousy behind the scenes as well.

you only have to look around and see how much stress people are under when they start relationships. My parents were married for over 2 decades and absolutely hated each other. I'm not saying that every couple end up like that, but I bet a lot of had to stay with someone they didn't even like just for the kids and probably regret believing in the love fairytale. a lot of break ups are ugly, too. I'm kinda glad that I'll never have to deal with any of this.
I am glad for you, and for all the single women as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,069 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about this lately. the emotional pain i see people go through seems to be severe. all my friends are in relationships and end up being used, cheated on, misled, ect. I've never seem them happy. they always keep telling me how they wish they were single again like me. two of my friends are married now and they are depressed and actually have to ask their wives if they can go out when i phone them. WTF? There seems to be so much arguing and jealousy behind the scenes as well.

you only have to look around and see how much stress people are under when they start relationships. My parents were married for over 2 decades and absolutely hated each other. I'm not saying that every couple end up like that, but I bet a lot of had to stay with someone they didn't even like just for the kids and probably regret believing in the love fairytale. a lot of break ups are ugly, too. I'm kinda glad that I'll never have to deal with any of this.
The fundamental problem is that American society is not HONEST in explaining how relationships really work.

Young people are simply told either a bunch of fairytale bs, or people use examples of couples (usually in a different generation!) that really were happy as if their relationship is representational of everyone else.

What then happens is that people act on this false information, and in the end, wind up disgruntled and disillusioned because their reality did not match up with what they were told all their lives.

It only makes things worse when you can't leave due to kids, or a divorce will wipe you out financially.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's hard to tell from these threads, but it always seems like the anti-relationship dudes, who can't imagine that their buddy could actually really want to stay home and watch Breaking Bad with his wife rather than go to a sports bar and watch the friend strike out with chicks, see normal courtesy in a relationship as being whipped and trapped.
That's also very true. All men don't have the same goals in life, so the singles can't fathom being with one woman, and all that commitment involves. They view the married man as trapped, shackled, involved in something against his will.

Usually those that get married are ready to settle down, to make that commitment to another, share their life with one person. I've not known of any married man who was longing to be single and back out in the dating world again. Age and maturity have a funny way of doing that to you, where comfort and stability are valued over variety and uncertainty.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
That's also very true. All men don't have the same goals in life, so the singles can't fathom being with one woman, and all that commitment involves. They view the married man as trapped, shackled, involved in something against his will.

Usually those that get married are ready to settle down, to make that commitment to another, share their life with one person. I've not known of any married man who was longing to be single and back out in the dating world again. Age and maturity have a funny way of doing that to you, where comfort and stability are valued over variety and uncertainty.
Hey I'm single and I don't view married life like this and I damn sure don't consider my older bros. suckers for getting married. On the contrary I hope it works out well for them. Them and their wives have given me some great nieces and nephews who I love very much. A lot of the single, anti-marriage dudes on this site are giving the rest of us a bad rep. I don't knock guys who get married, it's just not for me. I wish more single dudes would say this instead of being immature.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

Just a wild guess. Your family history may lead you to choose friends who have issues similar to your parents. There are plenty of couples out there who are happy. Why aren't you finding them?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Hey I'm single and I don't view married life like this and I damn sure don't consider my older bros. suckers for getting married. On the contrary I hope it works out well for them. Them and their wives have given me some great nieces and nephews who I love very much. A lot of the single, anti-marriage dudes on this site are giving the rest of us a bad rep. I don't knock guys who get married, it's just not for me. I wish more single dudes would say this instead of being immature.
That's for sure! Keep posting, to balance things out. That's what this forum needs--balance.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Being single sucks arse I don't care what anyone says. Even those who go from one realtionship to the next will tell you it's nic having someone to come hope to every so often. Sure there is a lot of heartbreak when trying to find someone that they want to share thier lives with someone. But I think the payoff is worth it in the end.. Sadly unless your lucky your going to have to get your heart broken here & there.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
That's a great attitude!

Would you say that maybe the ones knocking marriage are actually envious of something they don't have? Sometimes people who say one thing actually feel another way but can't admit it to themselves? For example, my neighbour is always boasting about how fabulous her life is. I tend to think it can't be that fabulous because truly happy people don't need to brag about their happiness to others.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
That's a great attitude!

Would you say that maybe the ones knocking marriage are actually envious of something they don't have? Sometimes people who say one thing actually feel another way but can't admit it to themselves? For example, my neighbour is always boasting about how fabulous her life is. I tend to think it can't be that fabulous because truly happy people don't need to brag about their happiness to others.
Generally speaking I'm always wary of people who act as if they are incredibly happy and have everything yet somehow find time in their lives to make fun of people they feel are inferior to them. The whole single guys vs. married/attached guys thing is another example of that and I've seen it done on both sides.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
I'm anti-marriage for me and I have no problem in saying so. I don't have an issue with people wanting to get married because the fact that I don't desire marriage and they do obviously shows some kind of disconnect with our respective priorities. I have better things to do and they don't. They need to be tied together with someone else and I don't. My problem is that society pushes people to get married and it's annoying and is designed to put married people on a pedestal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships