Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 02:55 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You would be deleted for not knowing the difference between "of" and "have," and for abuse of punctuation. Plus I don't get the joke or reference to the dog.

Living in WV it is very rare to find someone with a basic grasp of 5th grade English so my delete button gets a lot of action. When I get a guy who clearly knows his way around Strunk & White I almost always message back.
+1 for Strunk & White reference. Gotta be a first on this site!

--Dim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 03:00 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,640,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Yes.

Because then I respond with my day, and include a question to her, or something to possibly intrigue her.

Ie...

"That must of been nice. Did you have the day off then? I did..I took my dog for a walk,,she still doesn't seem the same after what happened.."
Honestly, I think people (not you) forget their manners when they are online and dating sites are no exception.

You could always just send the message anyway. If they like you, they won't be rude.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:02 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,444,452 times
Quote:
You would be deleted for not knowing the difference between "of" and "have," and for abuse of punctuation. Plus I don't get the joke or reference to the dog.

Living in WV it is very rare to find someone with a basic grasp of 5th grade English so my delete button gets a lot of action. When I get a guy who clearly knows his way around Strunk & White I almost always message back.
Well - sorry to disappoint you.

The dog reference isn't a joke.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:03 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,214 times
Quote:

Introducing vocabulary sketch - A Bit of Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie - BBC comedy - YouTube

Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,109,972 times
Part of the problem is that many women give you so little in terms of detail to go off of in their profiles, that sometimes it's hard to say much more than a line or two. Sort of hard to run with "Sometimes I like to get dressed up and go out, and sometimes I like to stay home on the couch in a t-shirt" kind of stuff.

I've wrtitten anything from one or two lines to several large paragraphs in online dating messages, and it doesn't seem to have much impact on response rates either way, though a "middle ground" between these two extremes seems best.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,686,075 times
Quote:
I've noticed while browsing POF and OkC a few women have "Please don't message me with 'Hey, what's up?' as I won't respond."

What?

That's called a GREETING!

Don't women take that as cue to read the guys profile, if they like it - THEN respond?

Why the need to circumvent the greeting, and totally rewrite how conversations are performed?
It's a generic greeting. You wouldn't email a recruiter with your resume attached and simply put "Hello" in the subject and "I'd like to apply for this job" in the body.

I have yet to get a date from one of these sites, but whenever I get a response to a message it's usually because I bothered to ask about something I saw on their profile. Read their profile, find something interesting, ask about it. They like to know you actually delved into it beyond just pictures.

e: For instance, how do you feel when a girl responds with nothing but a couple sentences and no question posed to you? I know it annoys me and I usually terminate the conversation if it happens more than once.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,101 times
Quote:
I've noticed while browsing POF and OkC a few women have "Please don't message me with 'Hey, what's up?' as I won't respond."

What?

That's called a GREETING!

Don't women take that as cue to read the guys profile, if they like it - THEN respond?

Why the need to circumvent the greeting, and totally rewrite how conversations are performed?
Of course it is boring! They get thousands of them all day. Be unique and you will get a response unless you are VERY good looking.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 926 times
Default Questionable logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
As soon as a woman puts something in her profile that starts with "don't message me if..." I stop reading right there and move on.

If she can't appreciate a friendly message from anyone who shows interest then how can she appreciate a great guy? The answer: She can't. Best to find someone else worthy of your message.

Hmm...this is a logic I disagree with to an extent. Just because someone specifies that they don't want certain kind of people messaging them doesn't mean they can't appreciate a great person. If you stop reading at that point, that means you didn't give her a chance to present if she can, you just assumed she couldn't based on false logic caused by limited reading of her profile.

There's a difference from a woman who puts, "Don't message me if you aren't physically fit." and a woman who says, "Don't message me if are looking for a one night stand or nude pictures/trades." It would be better to finish reading to see the context which she is coming from before judging her as she can't appreciate a great guy. And yes, people do post those comments on dating sites, because you have individuals who will send you nudes and offer one night stands in uncivil manners after you clearly said you were looking for something serious. In the case of the second, woman, she puts that because she doesn't want to waste her time nor the other persons time I'd that's what they are looking for. She shows focus. So, she makes it clear that anyone who is looking for that type of interaction are better off approaching someone else. This in no way says she isn't worthy of your message. In fact, if you are looking for something serious too, she is very well worthy of it. She's showing that she respects herself and will not engage in things that don't help her to achieve whatever relationship or dating goals she have. I would think that men would honour a woman who sets that boundary on the internet. However, the first woman shows that she likely will not appreciate a good guy purely because he doesn't look a certain way. Your logic would make more sense there.

I've seen guys do these two things and the guy I would message is the one who says he's not looking a one night stand or nude trade. To me he's worthy of my message since he shows that he's focused on finding that relationship he said that he wanted, and is likely not interested in playing games. A guy who says a woman has to be a certain way physically shows that he isn't focused solely on finding a good woman. Especially since I've noticed that some women who fit certain physical shapes(this is referring to ranges of body types. Simply because depending on that woman's experience she is popular with men) have bad attitudes.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:37 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
It's always fun to read stuff I wrote 5 years ago.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:53 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,168 times
Zombie thread! Haven't seen this topic in several months. How timely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships