Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

When I see a girl in a BMW, Mercedes, Jag, etc. I think....NEXT! I do not have high opinions of people who drive those luxury cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
When I see a girl in a BMW, Mercedes, Jag, etc. I think....NEXT! I do not have high opinions of people who drive those luxury cars.
Ever the economist. That's cool, Diss. I like that. Very sensible.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
There must be something wrong with me because I don't lump BMWs, Jags or Mercedes as "expensive" vehicles. Must be my region. There are specific models by those manufacturers that I would consider expensive, but otherwise they're usually pretty mainstream cars. Aston Martin, Bentley, Lamborghini....those are expensive cars, regardless of the model.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I consider BMWs, Mercedes, Jags, etc to be expensive but not unusual. They're expensive cars I see regularly. That's assuming we're talking about fairly new ones. (Used models can be downright cheap depending on the year and condition) Astons, Bentleys, Ferraris, Lambos, etc. I essentially consider exotic. Those are cars I may see a dozen times a year at most. Of course, considering my income, any car over $10,000 seems pretty expensive to me. In my entire life I've only had one vehicle that cost over $3500, and that was a huge mistake.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 PM

977 posts, read 1,814,748 times
Expensive cars are a waste of money so that'd be a big turnoff. I'm a simple and frugal kind of guy. I would much prefer if a girl drove a Prius, Honda Insight, Corolla, Civic, etc.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
Some of you would hate living here-practically every other car is a BMW.

I have friends who think I should have a sense of entitlement because I drive a BMW (2006 325i) but I don't. I don't feel the car is really me. Half the time I hate it and want to get rid of it, but it's paid off, I don't know what I want and I hate car shopping. My Lancer was much more me. But in the end it didn't make sense to have two cars, insurance was more on the Lancer, the BMW has a better crash test rating and it has heated seats. Shallow yes, but I hate being cold and my Lancer would just barely be getting warm by the time I got to work in the morning.

So people see the car, and they assume I'm rolling in dough or high maintenance or married or whatever. But here's the Cliff Notes version of the truth: I inherited the car when my husband died. I refused to drive it for almost 2 years following his death. And he didn't buy it as a status symbol: he bought it because after searching for the perfect car for 2 years, he stopped at a BMW dealership on a lark to stretch his legs on a road trip to see his family and finally found the car that had everything he wanted in one. If he found what he'd been looking for in a Ford, well, I'd be driving the Lancer still. I grew up in a Chevy house.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowT View Post
I have a friend who gets tons of girls because of the car he drives. Does it work the same with girls driving expensive cars? Do guys approach them more or do guys feel intimidated instead? Just need some opinion because me and my friends are discussing about it.
Folks, this ^ is the initial post. Keep your comments apropos or don't post in this thread. Thanks.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowT View Post
I have a friend who gets tons of girls because of the car he drives. Does it work the same with girls driving expensive cars? Do guys approach them more or do guys feel intimidated instead? Just need some opinion because me and my friends are discussing about it.
I would feel pretty intimidated and downright emasculated if a girl I was dating drove a better car than me. Most girls who drive nice cars usually have sugar daddies or their parents bought the car for them. Women like these tend to only date money guys and status guys, and since I drive a 10 yr old Nissan Altima and work for $9.40 an hr at a grocery store, I'm completely undateable

Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
It's my dream to own a Lotus Elise. Cute car.

If someone picked me for something as superficial as the kind of expensive car I drive or whatever designer labels I wear, I get really turned-off.

Someone that insecure about **** like that bug me.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
it doesn't bother me as long as she was the one who legitimately earned the check to pay and maintain that car. good for her, successful girls are not intimidating whatsoever to me. i would be much more inclined to approach them over anyone else tbth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships