Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:48 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,686 times

Advertisements

I notice that when it comes to friendships, it always seems like men have tighter knits and have more friends than women. It seems like when men get into relationships, they're still close to their buds. But when women get into relationships, they disappear from their friends, ditch their friends, and then come crying back when the bf ditches them. That's not it.

I recently went to some very important events (baby shower, going away party), those events I would expect all my friends to come. Sadly, most of the people that came were friends of the men. For the baby shower, less than a handful of her friends came where she's attended all her "close" friends events, let all her friends know about their restaurant, hung out there, supported them, etc.

It seem like people just don't value women as friends as much? I'm not the type to ditch my friends when a new guy comes into my life. And I've always tried to be a good friend, help them, be there for them. But I can tell you I get treated like sh** the other way around. I grew up with these girls, we used to hang out all the time in middle school and were always friends... the other day I contacted them to say hi and hinted we should get together... nothing. I've contacted people saying let's get together... nothing. I only have maybe 1-2 girl friends I can hang out with.. and they actually used to be flaky on me too.

On the other hand, I hear of guys going out with their friends all the time. Sure enough, most of the friends I do end up going out with happen to be guys. Sure, girls go out too, but they don't really seem as open to going out with new people. And I hate to say that guys only go out with me if they think they can get with me. I'd like to think my friendship is worth a lot but no one seems to notice or care... What's up with that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 PM

601 posts, read 758,717 times
Guys tend to sustain friendships better then women..Thats a fact..women are more competitive bcause of their insecurities among other women..Most females ive met cant stand other girls..sure they have a few friends here and there..but they generally prefer male friends..

We as men dont have that complex

Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Where do you guys meet these people? Most women have a tight circle of girlfriends that stick a lot longer than the boyfriends and the husbands.....

*rolls eyes*

Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,448,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where do you guys meet these people? Most women have a tight circle of girlfriends that stick a lot longer than the boyfriends and the husbands.....

*rolls eyes*
this is pretty much my experience as well.
i would guess age has a lot to do with peoples perceptions of "catty girls" and "bro-fisting guys"

Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,686 times
I've yet to meet a tight circle of girlfriends. What age range do they come in? I'm in my mid 20s and I've never really been able to sustain a tight group of girlfriends. It is a fact that girls have more drama. I had a group of girlfriends during elementary and they were pretty backstabbing. The group of girls I knew since middle school are tight with each other but they never saw me as one of them. It'd be nice to have a strong group of friends to hang out with rather than one here, one there, etc. It must depend on the person too. My ex has trouble keeping his friends too for some reason. His friends are just so flaky on him and it's frustrating.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,413,204 times
For me, it's not hard to find a good group of girls you can trust.

What tends to draw us together is our attitude and explicitness when we say "Don't gossip."

From that understanding, we already know we don't want drama, and we're more laid back and kick back with one another.

When my friends drift off into love land, I'm usually happy for them. I don't demand their time. We've been friends for close to 15 years now. We're literally like sisters- no matter the distance, nor time apart; we have that bond you just can't break apart.

I totally understand that people eventually will all get married someday and have children of their own. If they want to invest time into their relationship, I fully support them. It's like when a guy calls his buddy p-w'd. If he's a true friend, he'd understand. No pressure.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:08 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
I don't notice any difference to be honest. Girls and guys are both always friendly with me.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:14 AM

68 posts, read 184,442 times
I have friends from high school who are both male and female, and they're all chill. Maybe it's you, the type of friends you attracted, or the culture you come from. I realized that all my female friends from high school were Hispanic for example, and my hispanic friends' mothers usually hang out a lot with their high school girlfriends too.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,705,870 times
Here's one way to look at things. Lets take two hypothetical examples which are both happening across town at different dance clubs. In the first club, two men who are buddies are going to out to chase chicks. One of the guys meets a great chick while the other guy is standing there meeting nobody. In the other club across town, two single girls are out and one of the single girls meets a really cute guy who she's chatting up while the other girl is standing there meeting nobody.

Ask and answer this question. Which scenario is more likely to end with the friend who 'got lucky' leaving the club with their newfound friend because the other friend gave the wink/thumbs up that said "go for it, im ok, i'll find my own way home" and which scenario is more likely to end where the friend who met nobody 'got in the way' and sabotaged the entire thing.

If you know the answer to this question, that might be the beginning of being able to answer this pressing question from the OP.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
opposite gender friendships dont work, sex gets in the way.
same sex friendships can be good --male or female. guys have less friends but tend to be more true blue than women.
thats my take but still i know some great women to women, friendships so generalizing is risky stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships