Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,493,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm the type of person who has had the same hairstyle for years. It would be very intimidating to start all over. Several of the older women in my family have natural hair though so maybe I'll do it when I'm in my 50s. lol
I love my natural hair and I transitioned using individual braids for about 9 months (having them rebraided about every two months) If its something that you are thinking about then watch all of the YouTube vids on transtioning and don't be afraid to learn about and get to understand your natural texture even if you decide to relax again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,978,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I love my natural hair and I transitioned using individual braids for about 9 months (having them rebraided about every two months) If its something that you are thinking about then watch all of the YouTube vids on transtioning and don't be afraid to learn about and get to understand your natural texture even if you decide to relax again.
I was too impatient to transition!! Lol. It just wasn't working for me and my scalp gets way too caked up for braids or weave (gross, I know).

I went to SuperCuts and told this sweet little Russian lady to cut it all off!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I was too impatient to transition!! Lol. It just wasn't working for me and my scalp gets way too caked up for braids or weave (gross, I know).

I went to SuperCuts and told this sweet little Russian lady to cut it all off!
Good for you!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:27 AM

365 posts, read 643,898 times
I'm a Black male and I honestly wish this myth that we don't love natural hair would die. It's ridiculous. I love women with natural hair. Curly, short, froed, dreds, whatever.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,570,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclyde View Post
I'm a Black male and I honestly wish this myth that we don't love natural hair would die. It's ridiculous. I love women with natural hair. Curly, short, froed, dreds, whatever.
While some black men may like/not mind natural hair, I don't think it's a myth that a lot of black men in the US don't prefer it.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
While some black men may like/not mind natural hair, I don't think it's a myth that a lot of black men in the US don't prefer it.
Honestly, not a lot of natural haired women walking around. Chicken or the Egg question.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Honestly, not a lot of natural haired women walking around. Chicken or the Egg question.
Probably because they don't think black men find it attractive. lol

Old 11-21-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Probably because they don't think black men find it attractive. lol
All I know was up to Soul Train. There was a lot of women with Natural hair Thelmas walking around. None of them were single or begging for dates. Something happened in the 80s and 90s where the norm now is not natural. If a boy grew up his whole life seeing every woman he meets with non natural hair. That is what he is accustomed to seeing. It doesn't mean he doesn't like or doesn't prefer it. That is all he knows.

But irregardless. A great smile, attitude, and body trumps whatever hairstyle a woman has. That's pretty much universal.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
All I know was up to Soul Train. There was a lot of women with Natural hair Thelmas walking around. None of them were single or begging for dates. Something happened in the 80s and 90s where the norm now is not natural. If a boy grew up his whole life seeing every woman he meets with non natural hair. That is what he is accustomed to seeing. It doesn't mean he doesn't like or doesn't prefer it. That is all he knows.

But irregardless. A great smile, attitude, and body trumps whatever hairstyle a woman has. That's pretty much universal.
I agree that the media plays a big part in constructing standards of beauty. I grew up in the 80s and 90s, so my perception of how black men perceive natural hair are based on my generation and the ones that are growing up now. As always, I think rap/hip hop music (and even some r&b) is the problem. lol I know other races listen to it too, but I think it's particularly damaging to the mindset of black youth. The lyrics are disgusting. But that's another thread!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
The "natural hair" movement is on the rise! But I think that the number of natural hair ladies that you will see also depends on the area in which you are located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships