Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Oh yeah some are big dudes.
I concur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,335 times
I thought about showing this thread (especially the ridiculous OP) to my IT coworkers - some of whom are outgoing and have no difficulty communicating with other depts (such as sales and marketing), and are married to women who are attractive, successful and interesting. One guy is also quite charming to the ladies and a pretty good flirt - he practices martial arts, too. Anyway, I bet the reaction to the OP would have been "WTF", followed by "HAHAHAHA".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
the hell kind of problem do you have with IT? without it you wouldn't be able to post stupid threads on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
My mom works in IT, and when I was a teenager and I would use the word "nerd" about someone or make fun of them, she would say "do you like cell phones? Because if it weren't for a nerd's obsession with Star Trek you'd still be using payphones to call your friends when you're out on friday night"
KevinE, these two dudes speak wisdom. Get some perspective.

Oh and BTW, in recent years it has become much more important for someone to have solid social skills if they want to land a decent IT opportunity.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,423 times
Some IT men are quite hot! I've met a few. You just have to look a bit further past the nerd stereotype to find them.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:47 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
1. Boy is too shy and lacks self confidence....gets rejected by girls
2. Boy starts to see girls go after and throw themselves at other guys who have more going for them....gets jealous
3. Boy thinks he'll do better later in life
4. Boy realizes he's just as big a loser as a grown man as he was in high school....still can't get dates
5. Negative attitude settles in, boy blames world for his problems...EVERY WOMAN must be stupid or crazy
6. Boy reaches 40, hasn't had a date in his life, never been laid, leads a boring life because he focused all his energy on hating girls who didn't throw themselves at him that no woman now would want to spend time with him because he's BORING and has no real future.
7. Boy goes on City Data to complain.
And 8. Boy gets an IT degree, works at a Dell help desk and becomes a total a-hole to the customer that doesn't understand his computer mumbo-jumbo talk, all because of a life of torment by alpha males (mainly jocks) and rejection by hot girls.

I have an IT degree myself so I shouldn't say too much, but I noticed a lot of help desk people are like that. "Is your IEEE 802.11 connected?" "Huh?" (sign of irritation) "YOUR FREAKING IEEE 802.11!!!"

Old 11-21-2012, 04:50 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,177 times
Single mothers due tend to end up with unconfident men but not all the Time.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Stop watching 80's movies and trying to fit people in boxes. Guys with brains, looks, confidence, personality and money must make your head explode. Stop trying to make **** up to feel better about yourself and work on you until you like yourself. Alpha males vs Nerds is a Hollywood cliche that has very little basis outside of the school lunchroom.
That reminds me, I recently watched "Revenge of the Nerds Part II" and I noticed a scene in which one of them (I think it was Poindexter) used a computer to book a hotel room. I thought wow, they were just way ahead of their time, because now anyone can do that.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Anecdotal ... but I've seen this story play out many many times.

1. Woman in her 20s has a kid with a good looking guy. A real alpha male.
2. Alpha guy leaves
3. Woman dates but is unable to get an LTR with another alpha.
4. Woman now in her 30s settles for a nice guy. A beta male.
5. Woman treats beta male like a door mat.

and then the other twist...

6. Woman has a kid with the beta guy, but the child is homely compared to the child fathered by the alpha.
How is a man who doesn't make an income and who cannot stick around and provide for his offspring considered an "alpha"?

The smarter guy who can earn enough to support a family would actually be the alpha I would think.

Or maybe there are different kinds of alphas. There are the alpha partiers, and then there are the alpha intelligent types and so on.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,463 times
Yes, maybe they decided they want a real man-yes a real man. One with feelings and responsibility who is a real, normal, stable guy. I'll take my IT geek over anyone. He's awesome, sweet, cute as all get out, and smart. Have you thought about the salaries IT guys usually make? That's not exactly a turn-off either.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 PM

884 posts, read 1,405,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
I've got a degree in Computer Science, describe myself as a nerd or geek, married a single mom, and definitely don't qualify as a beta.
What is ironic is the alpha and beta being described here. In the IT world, an alpha product is unstable. Beta is a step above alpha, not as unstable but still has problems.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
What is ironic is the alpha and beta being described here. In the IT world, an alpha product is unstable. Beta is a step above alpha, not as unstable but still has problems.
That is ironic! Thanks for pointing out something that hadn't even tickled my irony meter when I wrote it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships