Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Is society preventing women from getting promotions? Or is it women choosing a lifestyle that involves raising kids and working fewer hours? .
There's some of both. Women who don't have kids and devote themselves to their work still run up against the glass ceiling. (It's inaccurate to assume all working women have kids.) But also note that men don't have to cut back on their hours to raise kids. For some reason, cutting back for the kids' sake is assumed to be the mother's job, not the father's. Why is that?

Old 11-20-2012, 11:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post

The lipstick thing i can't really support you on. Women have been using their looks to their benefit forever. Now all of a sudden they want to spin it around and say it's discrimination. I bet there are studies showing that if a man wears a nicer suit, more cologne, or some kind of superficial thing, that the man will get more promotions too.
My problem is different. Unfortunately women are expected to "look nice" and are given flack if they don't. Makes no difference for the men. You look nice, look crappy nobody cares. If a woman walks into a professional setting (especially if she is high powered) it is a problem. You need to attempt to be pretty, no matter what you have accomplished professionally. Heaven forbid she isn't conventionally attractive or slim.

Let's look at the controversy around Hillary Clinton's no makeup day. Why is this even news?
Hillary Clinton No Makeup Photo: Secretary Of State Laughs Off Comments On Her Looks (PHOTOS)

Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
You'll get a few uneducated doozies who like to write about rhetoric on the Internet just as you do on the airwaves aka Rush Limbaugh and Newsradio.

Info on the web can have lots of misconceptions and misinformation just as it does on TV.

It's in the language of corporate, controlled-media. Propaganda.

Combine that with masses of ignorant and perhaps misinformed or uneducated folks (to those we place no blame on considering an impoverished education system), you'll get mass hysteria of why so and so is so evil and they apparently are out to emasculate men and dominate the world.

Feminism speaks about equality for all. Probably my biggest turnoff on the web is a bunch of belligerent folks who talk about certain "facts" as though it were the word God. Certainly, these so called facts are based on a bunch of distortions and lies. My other favorite one- NWO.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
I think people are confusing feminism with misandry.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM

708 posts, read 878,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's some of both. Women who don't have kids and devote themselves to their work still run up against the glass ceiling. (It's inaccurate to assume all working women have kids.) But also note that men don't have to cut back on their hours to raise kids. For some reason, cutting back for the kids' sake is assumed to be the mother's job, not the father's. Why is that?
Good post, especially about cutting back should be the job of the women.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My problem is different. Unfortunately women are expected to "look nice" and are given flack if they don't. Makes no difference for the men. You look nice, look crappy nobody cares. If a woman walks into a professional setting (especially if she is high powered) it is a problem. You need to attempt to be pretty, no matter what you have accomplished professionally. Heaven forbid she isn't conventionally attractive or slim.
This is true. In private industry, make up is part of the uniform for executive women, or women aspiring to move up. I know a number of women who suddenly had to learn how to apply makeup when they got a certain type of job. They weren't happy about it (it's expensive, and a pain to have to fuss over yourself and touch up the makeup during the day), but it was a requirement.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
The "dreaded 'f' word", I know...

What do some men have against feminism/feminists?

I have been wondering this for quite a while. I read quite a bit and notice so much anti-feminism rhetoric. I've noticed a lot around here that the word "feminism" is treated as if the plague has just hit. And then there's the "Men's Rights" movement, which is a whole different can of worms.

But, what's the deal? Why do some men (and apparently some women) hate feminism?

ETA: How does feminism affect your dating options?

I, personally, don't date men who aren't feminists.
My problem with so-called "feminists" is that they are basically hypocrites. They want to be treated like men only when it's convenient for them. I call it "selective equality".

Last edited by Chicago South Sider; 11-20-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I think people are confusing feminism with misandry.
Yes I agree. I think most people don't really even know what feminism means either.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
My grandmother came to this country when she was 17 years old (peasant from Southern Italy) and she got a job, started to learn English, etc. She met my grandfather who was 18 and over here from Italy as well. He got a job as garbage man. She worked through out her life, had her own money, but was not allowed to purchase a home without his signature. He wasn't allowing it. It didn't matter that she was paying for the whole thing. So, she signed his name without his knowledge, got the home, and told him to come along if he likes but she's going. She didn't need anyone to tell her scratch. It was just in her to take a stand.
It comes down to personalities. Ying marries yang. Always have, and always will. Both of my Mom's aunts who lived in Bergen County NJ and came over "on the boat" headed matriarchal families and were industrious, being the face of their small businesses while their husbands were "back office."

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 11-20-2012 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 01:26 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,576 times
I'm not against feminism, but sometimes I wonder if feminists can recognize that the sexes have innate comparative advantages. Women traditionally have put careers aside to raise children because they are just plain better at it than men. We've accepted that. We want what is best for our children. Pure feminists find this insulting, but it is just one natural skill complimenting another: working together. How does reversing that; doing what we're bad at; fighting with ourselves; work in our favor? I strongly believe there is nothing unequal about playing to our strengths. No need to turn society upside-down to prove a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships