Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Rape culture is still with us. What is it, when two cops can get away with raping a woman in her apartment repeatedly, and they're caught on videotape returning to her apartment repeatedly, but the judge lets them off because the woman was drunk? That's rape culture. When a hotel guest thinks it's ok to sexually assault a maid. When a supervisor thinks it's ok to grab an employees breast, and the employer just transfers him to another department, where he's still allowed to supervise women employees, no cut in pay or status. When frat boys think it's just part of the fun to get women drunk at parties and rape them, and their buddies all back them up in their lies to authorities. That is rape culture. It's in Seattle, it's in NYC, it's in an institution near you.
Huh, I didn't know that. Or, I didn't know it was called that. It's why women, imo, need to take care of other women. People tend to take care of their own and it's only women who can stop this kind of stuff.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I love how in this discussion of "rape culture," these modern-day feminist so easily ignore the woman who actually was raped, hair in his fist and knife to my throat, in order to bring the conversation back to the theoretical and intellectual. Once again you demonstrate why I can't stand your cause.
I don't see how citing very real and specific cases is either theoretical or intellectual.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,330 times
No one is blaming problems on white men..gimme a break. But it is what it is. As a WOMAN for example, I get more people thinking thaey have the right to tell me what I should do, how I should do it, and when I should do it. Who does this mainly come from?? MEN, and a few women here and there who have been bred and raised to believe they arent worth anything. If you dont want people complaining about crap like that, then stop doing it to people.

People are people. No man should have any more rights than a woman., No mans thoughts or opinions should count more than any woman's thoughts or opinions. We should ALL be free to pursue whatever makes us happy in life without someone standing in front of you and shaking their finger going' you cant do that sweetie..shouldnt you be baking cookies somewhere' or blah blah.

If you dont want people complaining about it, dont do it to others. Simple.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Please show me a mainstream news article in whichwomen are fighting for equal pay for picking grapes or mopping floors. To be honest, I would love to be proven wrong.
Thats an issue that can be addressed through minimum wage (therefore regardless of gender), which should be set at a reasonable and fair point.

There are plenty of articles and ancedotes (as Brawnyn gave an example of) of women, in first world countries working to assist those who are in difficult positions, whether in their country or another. Think indigenous women's rights, women working to help those in third world countries and so on.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:46 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Thats an issue that can be addressed through minimum wage (therefore regardless of gender), which should be set at a reasonable and fair point.

There are plenty of articles and ancedotes (as Brawnyn gave an example of) of women, in first world countries working to assist those who are in difficult positions, whether in their country or another. Think indigenous women's rights, women working to help those in third world countries and so on.
That's a good point and one that many have strong opinions over. It does affect the vote. I suppose that's what's really at the heart of labor unions, or at least initially. The people were mobilizing, but it's all become so political that it doesn't seem real any more. It's cartoonish.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,117 times
This section of the site is full of misandry and closet misandry. It's sad.

Most men (including yours truly) believe in equality. I don't consider men or women better or worse. People are people, we are all human beings. I'm so tired of "isms", or people trying to push their agenda on others, doing more harm than good. Many feminists don't want equality: they want to have their cake and eat it, just like those pathetic, attention seeking women who engaged in "Slutwalks" over the last couple of years. All men are dogs, all men are rapists, all men (except the hot ones) are creepers. Get the F over yourselves. It's pathetic. The true feminists who fought for women's rights in the early part of the last century would be turning in their graves if they saw many modern-day feminists. Those women fought for equality during a time when that battle needed to be fought.

I just want to co-exist with everyone. I don't care what gender, race or religion you are. Focus on treating people with kindness and respect rather than following nonsense that does nothing more than fuel divison and hatred.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't buy this. It's not rocket science. We all know what equal rights are. People want equal opportunity and access.
You don't have to buy it, but it's right there, It's what I'm saying. There is NOT widespread agreement on what constitutes equal rights in this country. Not by a long shot.

It's on those margins that define peoples' views on feminism. Like I said, there is no serious person out there who claims to be "for unequal rights."

Quote:
They are the same in why they are under-represented in certain fields; in that it has nothing to do with physiology and I already told you to make the case if you believe it is.
What's the explanation then, evil white men ?

Quote:
Women are well-represented in the biological sciences (biochem, genetics, virology, medicine, etc). My company is inundated with female scientists from communist China, impoverished India, obviously all over Europe and the US. Women now make up a majority in medical schools.
I definitely think that environmental science, biology, and medicine appeal to women.

But even within those highly-competitive fields, it isn't as if they are all doing the same thing. Medicine is a great example. Women gravitate toward pediatrics, pediatric surgery, psychiatry , dermatology -- the last two being fields being uniquely competitive thanks to their 'mom friendly' commitment and hours. Men, on the other hand, still gravitate towards fields like neurosurgery or orthopedic surgery. So your example, Medicine demonstrates how the time-commitment of potential pregnancy (and possibly risk-aversion) affects the decision-making in the workplace that leads to "lower wages for equal work."

The point isn't about who's capable, it's about who's motivated, and by what.

Quote:
It's not as if women evolved over the last 100 years. The argument is absurd. And you know what? The argument typically comes from people that aren't familiar with science.
I agree, that argument is absurd. I'm glad I didn't make it.

Quote:
So, while I agree that it's culture that accounts for why some minority American men are under-represented in the science, it has also been the case for women. The proof walks the planet every day.
I see some evidence to support your view, but I don't see any proof.

Quote:
We're all different, but my argument is that pretty much everyone, regardless of gender or race, is intellectually capable to achieve almost anything. The reasons people don't or fail are multifaceted.
i agree with this.

Quote:
I'm saying that equality is not derailed across the board. I'm pregnant right now. I don't see where my equality is derailed. I need that explained to me.
well, because you are pregnant, or rather because you have the ability to become pregnant, you also come with a lot of biological hardware that keeps you away from risk.

so this risk-seeking behavior is really what the "biology" argument boils down to.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
I don't see how citing very real and specific cases is either theoretical or intellectual.
She and I crossed posts. But it does not matter. That was what is called the Sharphooter's Fallacy.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
No one is blaming problems on white men..gimme a break. But it is what it is. As a WOMAN for example, I get more people thinking thaey have the right to tell me what I should do, how I should do it, and when I should do it. Who does this mainly come from?? MEN, and a few women here and there who have been bred and raised to believe they arent worth anything. If you dont want people complaining about crap like that, then stop doing it to people.

People are people. No man should have any more rights than a woman., No mans thoughts or opinions should count more than any woman's thoughts or opinions. We should ALL be free to pursue whatever makes us happy in life without someone standing in front of you and shaking their finger going' you cant do that sweetie..shouldnt you be baking cookies somewhere' or blah blah.

If you dont want people complaining about it, dont do it to others. Simple.
Here's a newsflash for you, the group of people who feel this way have a special name called Everyone. Every man with a job feels this way. Every man with a family. Every man who has authority asserted over him. Yes, feel exactly the same way because we are all in this together. You blame it on being a woman because you are playing the victim. The truth is, you are just feeling a rather average, ordinary feeling felt by average, ordinary people all over the world. Making it about feminism just elevates its importance in your mind.

No one likes to be told what to do!!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
This section of the site is full of misandry and closet misandry. It's sad.

Most men (including yours truly) believe in equality. I don't consider men or women better or worse. People are people, we are all human beings. I'm so tired of "isms", or people trying to push their agenda on others, doing more harm than good. Many feminists don't want equality: they want to have their cake and eat it, just like those pathetic, attention seeking women who engaged in "Slutwalks" over the last couple of years. All men are dogs, all men are rapists, all men (except the hot ones) are creepers. Get the F over yourselves. It's pathetic. The true feminists who fought for women's rights in the early part of the last century would be turning in their graves if they saw many modern-day feminists. Those women fought for equality during a time when that battle needed to be fought.

I just want to co-exist with everyone. I don't care what gender, race or religion you are. Focus on treating people with kindness and respect rather than following nonsense that does nothing more than fuel divison and hatred.
Misandry is perfectly legal and tolerable in this society. Some say feminism was created by the government, the root of discrimination and division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships