Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM

868 posts, read 1,121,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You (and I don't mean you in the specific sense) basically just equated women's bodies to a consumer product. And that is exactly the problem. Women are seen as objects. Not fellow people that should be treated with respect. So the problem is, until women are viewed as people that should be afforded basic respect by the broader society. We have a lot to combat. And we haven't even talked about the objectification of women.
But I don't see women as objects and I suspect, neither do most men. Women are people, so are men. It just so happens that women are the people I'm attracted to, but that doesn't make women any lesser. I don't see how women are respect less, at least in America.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Would it land you in prison? No. But it would land you a rather brutal tongue lashing from me. Why can't you just keep your mouth shut and not yell things at women walking by? Why is that so difficult? I don't put on my clothes each day to solicit random comments from strangers.

Maybe I should start wearing a burqa since men obviously can't help but yell lewd comments thinking they're 'complimentary'.
I've been called names, bullied at work, bashed for my political views and all sorts of names. It's water off a duck's back though. When people start talking censorship, it's a dangerous path. What harm does a wolf-whistle or the odd inappropriate comment do? You want to punish rapists and sexual predators more severly....hey, I'm fine with that and would support you, but what you are implying is dangerous. Where do you draw the line? Just deal with "inappropriate comments" FFS. This is a free country and you are free to rebut such comments with any tongue lashing you see fit.

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
But I don't see women as objects and I suspect, neither do most men. Women are people, so are men. It just so happens that women are the people I'm attracted to, but that doesn't make women any lesser. I don't see how women are respect less, at least in America.
I'll believe that women are "respected" in the US, when I can read an article about a woman in power that doesn't discuss her outfit, her favorite makeup brand, her manicure color, favorite recipes and/or how she manages to have it all with a career/family/brand or whatever.

Or when I can see an ad for jewelry or whatever that doesn't focus 85% on the naked female model and 15% on the product being sold.

Or when female athletes are promoted because of their ability and accomplishments and not their perceived beauty. (I am looking at you Lolo Jones. And all of the Serena Williams commenters that talk about the size of her butt and not the power of her serve)

Or when the day comes, that a woman can be praised for something, without the snarky undertone of she is pretty good..... for a woman.

Then we'll be getting somewhere.

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
That's because you're not a woman. I mean, that sounds blindingly obvious, but you simply won't experience what women experience unless you literally cross dress really well every day for a year and see how people treat you differently.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,132,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
That's because you're not a woman. I mean, that sounds blindingly obvious, but you simply won't experience what women experience unless you literally cross dress really well every day for a year and see how people treat you differently.
Thank you.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'll believe that women are "respected" in the US, when I can read an article about a woman in power that doesn't discuss her outfit, her favorite makeup brand, her manicure color, favorite recipes and/or how she manages to have it all with a career/family/brand or whatever.

Or when I can see an ad for jewelry or whatever that doesn't focus 85% on the naked female model and 15% on the product being sold.

Or when female athletes are promoted because of their ability and accomplishments and not their perceived beauty. (I am looking at you Lolo Jones. And all of the Serena Williams commenters that talk about the size of her butt and not the power of her serve)

Or when the day comes, that a woman can be praised for something, without the snarky undertone of she is pretty good..... for a woman.

Then we'll be getting somewhere.
Even if what you say is true, would you not agree that many women themselves enable such nonsense? You can't just blame men for the materialistic, superficial society in which we live in. Men are judged too, namely on the size of their wallets.

Stop making it about gender.

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Criminals cause rape Ruth. Collectively MEN do not cause rape. .
OK, criminals cause rape. Short skirts don't cause rape. Agreed.

But you're warning us not to dress a certain way around men, or was it...going out at night? Or what was the warning, exactly? You wouldn't let your daughter go out at night (or was it--anytime?) dressed a certain way... because by some fluke she might encounter a rare criminal rapist? What are the odds there, I'm not quite getting this. If the odds are slim, why worry? Is your concern perhaps based on your own observation of young men in general? Those raging hormones? I mean logically, every woman shouldn't have to worry about how she dresses, because you're saying that criminal rapists are rare. So the odds are that most women won't encounter one, so there's really not much to worry about, right? I'm just trying to get your concept. Criminal rapists are rare, but women should dress as if rapists are ordinary? I'm still not getting it.
Quote:
Men get raped too. Just saying.
I'm on your side, hombre. You don't know me. One of my battles is against the institutionalized rape of boy novices in Buddhist monasteries. I'm not the only woman on the case, either. In fact, it's men who are hysterically in denial of this issue. ...but I digress.

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Oh no! Are you a feminist man-hater?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
I've been called names, bullied at work, bashed for my political views and all sorts of names. It's water off a duck's back though. When people start talking censorship, it's a dangerous path. What harm does a wolf-whistle or the odd inappropriate comment do? You want to punish rapists and sexual predators more severly....hey, I'm fine with that and would support you, but what you are implying is dangerous. Where do you draw the line? Just deal with "inappropriate comments" FFS. This is a free country and you are free to rebut such comments with any tongue lashing you see fit.
Quote:
Hombre. Read Duck's comment.

What harm? Emotional health? Feelings of worthlessness? Being treated like an object? I'm not talking censorship, I'm talking about men being adults and not doing it because THEY know they shouldn't. It's fairly simple, but if you don't have the ability to keep your mouth shut and not say derogatory things about random strangers that says a lot about you.

If my guy friends do that to a woman I'm the first one to tell them it's inappropriate and that they shouldn't do it. I tell them 'What would you do if that was your 14 year old sister and some older man was yelling about her 'sweet t*ts'. They usually stop after that. Be an adult and grow the eff up.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:

...and the same could be applied in reverse. No matter who you are on earth, you'll always find some sort of oppressed banner to hide under and claim that you're so hard done by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships