Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 PM

868 posts, read 1,121,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Absolutely! The message would eventually sink in that it's not socially acceptable, even among guys, so that behavior would eventually die out. As I posted earlier, why can't men police their own?
Actually, a lot us already do. I think you need to get to know men a little better, as do a couple of others who have participated in this thread. We are human beings too.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I propose teaching people that it's NOT OKAY to yell things at strange women. I've already said, multiple times, that it shouldn't be considered a criminal offense but it seems you just skip those posts. It needs to come from social pressure and from teaching our young men and women that it's simply not ok to yell crude and lewd things at people. Hell, to yell ANYTHING at strangers. Why is that so difficult to get?
It is sort of back to boys will be boys. We almost expect men to have the right to comment on the appearances of the women walking by.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
All sorts of discrimination in the workplace. You name it...

Race
Religion (or lack thereof)
Political views
Physical appearance
Marital status
Whose ass you kiss
Gender *gasp* because I am not saying it never happens
Sexual orientation
What school you went to (or didn't go to)

Why fight for just one cause?
The bolded is an illegal criterion to use in hiring. So is religion. And race obviously. Hm...you missed "age", which also is illegal, but we all know it happens to both men and women.

Jade was talking about discrimination in hiring (the pretty faces get hired more easily, was her example), but this is ok, I'll go with this, thanks. Do you think physical appearance (assuming an applicant is appropriately dressed) is much of an obstacle to men in the hiring process?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:22 PM

868 posts, read 1,121,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Who said we are only addressing one cause? This thread is about feminism. And not the other-isms. We can talk about those elsewhere.
My point: anyone can feel like they're a victim of something. Glass half full / half empty type thing.

Nite.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
Quote:
It is sort of back to boys will be boys. We almost expect men to have the right to comment on the appearances of the women walking by.
That's why it's the responsibility of men to reign in their own friends when they see poor behaviour. Especially in very macho cultures, men who do this are probably seen as ***** whipped or gay, but it's nevertheless imperative that men challenge their own conceptions of masculinity.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Exactly. And I honestly think a lot of them think it's a compliment to the women they're yelling at. They don't realize that it's not.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I propose teaching people that it's NOT OKAY to yell things at strange women. I've already said, multiple times, that it shouldn't be considered a criminal offense but it seems you just skip those posts. It needs to come from social pressure and from teaching our young men and women that it's simply not ok to yell crude and lewd things at people. Hell, to yell ANYTHING at strangers. Why is that so difficult to get?
Right. The whole way boys are raised in our culture needs to be examined. This cat-calling and lewd comments thing doesn't happen in England (according to our Brit posters), and I've never encountered it in Scandinavia. I have in Germany, though.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,132,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. The whole way boys are raised in our culture needs to be examined. This cat-calling and lewd comments thing doesn't happen in England (according to our Brit posters), and I've never encountered it in Scandinavia. I have in Germany, though.
It didn't happen in Scotland, when I lived there, either. It did happen in Ireland, though.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Actually, a lot us already do. I think you need to get to know men a little better, as do a couple of others who have participated in this thread. We are human beings too.
Cool. So if you police your own, why are you objecting to women objecting to lewd comments and cat-calls? It's not at all about censorship, it's about people having the good sense and consideration for others to watch what they say. It's about common courtesy. Does anyone remember that anymore?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Exactly. And I honestly think a lot of them think it's a compliment to the women they're yelling at. They don't realize that it's not.
Aren't we supposed to be grateful men find us "attractive?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships