Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:15 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,157 times

Advertisements

I have a best freind who constantly disrespects me . I get the feeling that he thinks he is better than everybody , especially me . He makes fun of me all the time and has even called me " stupid . " He is always saying that he makes more money than I do and just being a jerk for no reason at all . I have been freinds with him since we were young . He has made fun of me , my parents , and even my whole family . He has an anger management issue , but I don't think that is a reason to call people stupid whenever you feel like it and hurt their feelings and then just think it is okay to say your sorry later . I want to get rid of this freind , but I know it will be a hard thing to do . What should I do and how should I cope with giving up a freind who I have known for a very long time ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 10:27 PM

15 posts, read 62,133 times
I don't think you understand the meaning of "respect yourself". This "best friend" is not your best friend. Best friends do not say hurtful mean things to anyone regardless of anger. IT IS A SIGN OF DISRESPECT TO YOU AS A PERSON. You have to detach your self from this person if he makes you feel so bad that you have to write a letter to the New Jersey forum. You are worth so much as a person to let this happen to yourself.

Once you've broken up with this loser, take up a new hobby or take up a class at one of the colleges. Find time to accomplish a goal without this best friends help. Do something to make yourself proud. Once you start your new hobby you will find new friends who you can share common interests together. However, your first step is to accept the fact that this "best friend" doesn't respect you or your family. Why would you be friends with anyone who can't respect you as a person?
Good Luck
Autumn~

Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times
I agree, a real friend wouldn't knock you down like that and say hurtful things.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,599 times
Sometimes people say things just because they don't know what to say On the other hand sometimes people try to belittle you because it makes them feel bigger and better about themselves.

Since you all have known each other for years and you obviously consider him a friend, I would suggest that the next time he says something to hurt your feelings, you let him know immediately how you feel. If it's been going on this long, maybe he doesn't even realize that it bothers you. However, if he continues to do it with no regard for your feelings then I would suggest that you cut him off, move on and develop other friendships which are positive.

Good luck.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:20 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I agree, a real friend wouldn't knock you down like that and say hurtful things.

A friend stands by you, backs you, and if you have a fault, either accepts it or will work with you on it. This doesnt sound like a friend.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:54 AM

355 posts, read 2,703,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnbreze View Post
I don't think you understand the meaning of "respect yourself". This "best friend" is not your best friend. Best friends do not say hurtful mean things to anyone regardless of anger. IT IS A SIGN OF DISRESPECT TO YOU AS A PERSON. You have to detach your self from this person if he makes you feel so bad that you have to write a letter to the New Jersey forum. You are worth so much as a person to let this happen to yourself.

Once you've broken up with this loser, take up a new hobby or take up a class at one of the colleges. Find time to accomplish a goal without this best friends help. Do something to make yourself proud. Once you start your new hobby you will find new friends who you can share common interests together. However, your first step is to accept the fact that this "best friend" doesn't respect you or your family. Why would you be friends with anyone who can't respect you as a person?
Good Luck
Autumn~
Thank you for your kind words . I have always felt intimidated by this freind . He has talked about me so much that I think that I have grown to believe the mean things he says about me and others close to me .

Old 10-13-2007, 08:16 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Thank you for your kind words . I have always felt intimidated by this freind . He has talked about me so much that I think that I have grown to believe the mean things he says about me and others close to me .
What you have described is a toxic relationship. It can be a so-called friend, significant other, or even a member of one's family.

If you have told this person to stop saying nasty things to you or about you, and he still persists, you need to extract him from your life. And do not feel badly about it, either.

You are entitled to set boundaries as to what treatment toward you is okay, and not okay. If someone punched you in the face, would you hesitate to get away from them? His cruel comments are the verbal equivalent of a punch in your face.

You must understand that you are giving him permission to do this if you put up with it. The day you tell him to stop (or buzz off) is the day that you do not give permission.

It's time to be your own best friend. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:24 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,451 times
Sounds like he suffers from insecurities within himself and in order for him to feel better he insults the one that he knows won't disrespect him and would tolerate his crap. I have had (Key Word, HAD) friends who felt that they were better than me and had always felt it was their priority to put me down.
Being self controlled, I tolerated it for the sake of peace and argument; however, when enough was enough, I told those friends my true feelings about them and then respectfully inform them that I no longer care to associate myself with them.
It was hard in the begining, but reality is if you don't love and respect yourself enough to get rid of negative people in your life, you will never truly get the respect you deserve.
First step to take is inform him or her that you have outgrown his or her insults and would prefer that he or she cease to do so. If he or she continues with the insults then you as a person should sever the ties with that individual. The day may come when he or she decides to tell the whole world bad things about you and try to scandalize your name, but what you have to understand, those who choose to listen to rumors and negativity need not be in your life either as they are truly not your friend.
You will feel much better when you get negativity out of your life and surround yourself with friends who focuses on positive dealings in life as well respect.

Good Luck!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:58 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Well if you will need to wean yourself off your friend slowly. Start with phone calls, either don't take all of them or say I am busy I will call you later and don't call later. then work to hanging out same thing I am busy can't hang out then to not at all. It will take probably 3 or 4 months unless you want to go cold turkey. There is no wrong way, it is how you are most comfortable.
As far as believing what he says do some positive affirmation kind of stuff.
I am great
I am special
I am smart
I am beautiful/handsome
I am kind
I am a strong person
I am good

sort of thing tape it to you mirror in your bathroom, your fridge, where ever so you will see it often throughout the day.
It will make a difference I promise.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:36 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times
Adream: This person is the devil. Run fast, run far. Don't look back. He might pursue you with phone calls, e-mails, texts, etc. Be polite but curt. Find other friends, friends you DESERVE who will see how great you are and will be honored to be your friend and who will honor YOU.

This guy is a complete loser and a few other choice words that City-data won't let me print! I know; I've been there. He's toxic and he enjoys belittling you. This is NOT the sign of a best friend or a FRIEND, period.

One other thing...you need to change your opinion of yourself. If your self-image were better, you would have told this fool to go jump in the lake years ago. Might be a good idea to figure out why you feel you deserve this treatment and keep going back for more.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships