Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times

Advertisements

Well not really. My title is misleading, but sort of in response to the Marriage, I just don't get it thread.

I can totally understand why some people decide to be single. For some people that is the way to go, but for others, not so much.

People who are married really don't question why a person chooses to be single. Now there are those people out there that may, don't get me wrong. We all know of the people who ask when you are going to get married, or if you are married, when you are going to have children. I know those people exist.

I am in a relationship right now and am a divorced woman, so I know what it is like to be married. Obviously there was something wrong in my marriage and that is why I am divorced but I tried pretty hard. We were together for 16 years.

I know some people think there is no reason in this day and age to be married, that it is merely a legal document and now you are in some kind of binding agreement and your life is going to hell in a handbasket.

For the people who are getting married, they obviously don't feel that way. Even as a divorced woman, I want to marry again. I want to be a wife. I want to have a husband. I don't care about his money. It will not end our sexlife. We won't be having any kids to steal our souls from us.

Those of us who are married or believe i the sanctity of marriage don't care if you are single and that is what you want to be. It is not even in question. It is not for all. Being a parent is not for all either....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,354 times
Being married is great for a woman but not so great for a man.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
People who are married really don't question why a person chooses to be single.
False

Quote:
For the people who are getting married, they obviously don't feel that way. Even as a divorced woman, I want to marry again. I want to be a wife. I want to have a husband. I don't care about his money. It will not end our sexlife. We won't be having any kids to steal our souls from us.
What does marriage give you that a committed monogamous long-term relationship doesn't?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,225 times
I dont consider being with someone and not being married being singled. Its a narrow-minded person who believes someone is single simply because they dont have the paperwork to prove they're not.

I never feel single. I have a great bf and even when I'm not dating someone my life is full not because of a ring on my finger but because the people in my life make my life complete (friends).

I will never be married. I will never have kids. But I will never be single because I am happy with myself and satisfied with the people in my life, at the places they are.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,633 times
I have a great life. Really the only thing missing is physical intimacy and if I really, desperately wanted that I could find it pretty easily on Craigslist. But, I loved being part of something bigger than myself. I hope I'm lucky enough to have that again someday, preferably while I'm still young enough to enjoy it! Being single sucks for me because my late husband and I had a great relationship so I know exactly what I'm missing.

On the other hand, I have a couple of friends who are perfectly content to remain solo. It works for them and they are happy so why change it?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
I understand where you're going with this Pik, but I have to say that I do get questions as to why I'm single still. I'm questioned quite frequently, actually, by married people.

Bridget Jones anyone?

They don't understand that just because it's what's expected, I'm not going to follow the crowd. It would take someone extraordinary for me to reconsider.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Actually the studies say the opposite. Men who are married are healthier and happier.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Stable long term relationships are beneficial for men and women...but more for men.

Does Love Benefit Men's Or Women's Health More?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,178 times
Why not marry? There are cons and pros of marriage. But here are some of the cons: Marriage kills romance. And why?

Because when two people date, they don't see each other too much and they MAKE time for each other and they miss each other. And so when they meet, they feel good and feel excited. But in marriage,

since people see each other everyday, they forget the fact that it's NOT the same as being together. They forget to make special times for being together. And even if they did, it's not the same. Because they see each other all the time and not only that, they see each other at not their best. Also, if in marriage, they have to fight (there are always problems of some sort that they would have to deal with). And so when they are together, sometimes they experience negative feelings about each other.

Of course there is a security in marriage, someone always there to help (although it's not quite true in all marriages anyways, but if it was true)... I think that having a close best friend could help with support

and therefore, the romance could be still alive through dating and the support could be there through friends/roommates

as far as having children.... it's much easier to raise a child with someone who is compatible in living style, so a best friend or a roommate....

nothing is perfect, there are cons and pros with both situations, so it just depends on what you want from life: stability security support and a quiet life or fulfillment, excitment, stimulation and some measure of support...

Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Actually the studies say the opposite. Men who are married are healthier and happier.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Stable long term relationships are beneficial for men and women...but more for men.

Does Love Benefit Men's Or Women's Health More?
Correlation does not equal causation.

There is a correlation between the amount of ice cream served in New York City and the number of drowning deaths. As the amount of ice cream eaten goes up, so do the number of drowning deaths. Does that mean the ice cream causes drowning?

Or could the reason be due to a third factor - say heat. When it is hot more people eat ice cream and more people swim. The more that swim, the more that drown.

Likewise with the marriage is healthy studies. It's just as likely that healthy people are more likely to get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships