Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 PM

868 posts, read 1,121,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
All of my family who is able to marry, has married.

I'm the black sheep, and sometimes I catch a lot of heat.
Same here. I made the choice to cut the white sheep out of my life though and I'm better off for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
I have two siblings, none of us are in relationships. It's been around 3 years for me, 2 years for my sister and 3 years for my brother....we're just not 'relationshippy' people I suppose. In my extended family I have no cousins under the age of 19 and out of 9 first cousins, only 1 of them is in a relationship. No kids. The rest are completely single.

The last person in my fairly immediate family who got married was my uncle and that was over a decade ago.

Soooo, we're definitely a 'family full of singles' I think someone getting married or actually entering a LTR would be a shocker for everyone.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:46 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,526 times
I like a family where the black sheep is the one married with kids!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are a number of people in my immediate and extended family who aren't into kids. I think it partly has to do with the parenting style kids experienced when they were growing up.

I believe this may be true in many cases, all my sisters married and had children. We loved being a large family dynamic always having each other to play with in those early years. My parents made our early childhood quite fun, lots of loving memories of those early days.

My dream at age 8 was to marry spit out two boys and two girls, not six kids like there were of myself and sibs though. I was crazy, not that crazy. Family was at the top of the list till the fairytale dreams went away. After one kid that dream of having more children changed pretty quick, Snip, snip, wasn't an easy choice, but one I knew was the less selfish to make for the sake of any future child to be straddle to me.

Today, I think the younger generations are looking hard and long at the stats, and not liking what they see plus more women having careers and for the most part, aren't interested in traditional roles they don't feel a need for the old rules of the land. They're style of commitment suits them just fine and who's to judge. Can't really blame many for not wanting to bring kids into the present enviornments. But I personally do enjoy interacting and taking care of some people's kids, long as I'm able to hand them back over when I tire. I greatly wish some people that do choose to start families would reconsider. If you're not going to actually parent, please be considerate and don't seed chucky. Don't be one of those "Everything my kid does is a go, it will all fall into place"

Think marriage values were passed along to our kids, even if I've contently strayed from that life. My daughter is married, a few of my sisters' children married and others appear to be planning to follow suit. I value choice more than any thing else. For some reason, my daughter doesn't think I should choose to stay single, she's not happy with my choice to never pair up again. That rigid thinking didn't come from me.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:12 PM

701 posts, read 1,562,093 times
My mom is divorced, her mother never married, and one of her mother's sisters never married as well. Then, I have a few unmarried cousins (one of whom is in her 30s and also wants nothing to do with kids), some of whom already have children. Much of the elders in my family (my grandma's siblings) that are still alive are on their second marriage. Same with a few of my mom's cousins (40s to 60 age group). One is even on his third, and I think he just messed that one up. Whoops.

The family gets super excited when someone new shows up for Christmas because the elders are in their late 70s to late 80s, and I think they would like a big wedding from at least one of the cousins in my age group. I love my grandma, but at 79, I don't think she's gonna make it to mine!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
We have two divorces all having married when young but both also remarried and it lasted now for over 30 years.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 AM

778 posts, read 997,542 times
Two older brothers. We are all late 20s/early 30s and single.

My parents are getting antsy.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Two older brothers. We are all late 20s/early 30s and single.

My parents are getting antsy.
Why are your parents getting antsy? Do they work and/or do constructive things? That's what counts.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:02 PM

778 posts, read 997,542 times
They got two giant clocks over their heads.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:07 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,477,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Its a mixed bag in my family.

My dad and his twin brother married youngish and remarried 2 more times. My older half sister has 3 kids and is still with her boyfriend of 20 years that she cohabitates with and never plans to marry because they don't believe in marriage but they're equally as committed as married couples. My half brother was married, I'm not sure if he remarried but he has 3 kids. My other half sister is an admitted comitaphobe, has been engaged a few times but always called it off and now she has a baby boy about 1 years old.

On my mom's side, her and her sisters have all been married, and only one is still married. My uncles (her brothers) have never been married and they're well into they're 40's/50's now and they dont' have children either. They're not socially awkward either, they just never got around to marriage.

Mostly, on both sides of my family, marriage and kids come way later in life. We're career people first and foremost. I wanted to marry young though and start having kids around this time in my life. I have a feeling I'll only be a few years off lol.
Hi Mir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships