Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:04 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
There's evidence showing the number of unhappy marriages is surely greater.
What evidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What evidence?
You have the 50% divorce rate and if you had the couples who just stay married out of convenience/laziness to that, I'm quite sure it's above 70%.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
I've posted before about my parents finally getting a divorce after 30 years and I've been thinking about it.

I'm 21, never had a girlfriend, never had sex and never had a first kiss. I've never cared much for that to be honest. I was always very focused on my studies and my hobbies and that was enough for me. I've always loved my "me time", partly due to the fact I grew up mostly alone (my brother is 8 years older than me and there's no one my age in the family).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It sounds like you're single more because of lack of interest in the opposite sex. But it also sounds like you have some emotional issues relating to your home environment while growing up. You could get counseling, to help get over that. As for the lack of interest, it is what it is. If you're happy with your current life, that's all that counts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Are you implying that he is gay?
Okay...here let me show you where this whole conversation went wrong Timing, because you are reading things that aren't there.

When Ruth said the bolded above, she wasn't implying that because he was not interested in the opposite sex that he MUST be gay. YOU assumed that. All she meant was that he hasn't made much effort to get to know the opposite sex in a romantic way, go on a date...etc. so he is single for lack of interest/trying and not because of his parents bad marriage.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,923,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Okay...here let me show you where this whole conversation went wrong Timing, because you are reading things that aren't there.

When Ruth said the bolded above, she wasn't implying that because he was not interested in the opposite sex that he MUST be gay. YOU assumed that. All she meant was that he hasn't made much effort to get to know the opposite sex in a romantic way, go on a date...etc. so he is single for lack of interest/trying and not because of his parents bad marriage.
I was not assuming, I was asking!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:33 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
You're the one who implies that he's gay.
Quote:
I was not assuming, I was asking!
The above isn't asking.

You assumed that her implication was that he is gay.

She never implied he was gay. She implied he was single because he didn't have any interest or put any effort into dating or pursuing women.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:10 PM

677 posts, read 1,193,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post

I haven't put any effort also because of what I've seen in my parents marriage.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:17 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Wisely use what you have learned and experienced...
in the future, it will serve you well.

Quote:
I've posted before about my parents finally getting a divorce after 30 years and I've been thinking about it.

I'm 21, never had a girlfriend, never had sex and never had a first kiss. I've never cared much for that to be honest. I was always very focused on my studies and my hobbies and that was enough for me. I've always loved my "me time", partly due to the fact I grew up mostly alone (my brother is 8 years older than me and there's no one my age in the family).

Everytime my parents argue I feel good for not having to deal with any of that. My personal life is mine, it's peaceful and it always works the way I want. I suppose life is too short to waste with other people when there's so many things to try and experiment.

Let's face it, my parents biggest mistakes in life were getting married and later having kids (they could have separated a lot sooner if it wasn't for and my brother). They would have been much happier and richer. Instead, they wasted 30 years of life that can't be taken back. It must be very frustrating to know you could have had a good life and you had an awful one thanks to a person that's not even blood related.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:26 PM

657 posts, read 716,782 times
Quote:

Everytime my parents argue I feel good for not having to deal with any of that. My personal life is mine, it's peaceful and it always works the way I want. I suppose life is too short to waste with other people when there's so many things to try and experiment.

Let's face it, my parents biggest mistakes in life were getting married and later having kids (they could have separated a lot sooner if it wasn't for and my brother). They would have been much happier and richer. Instead, they wasted 30 years of life that can't be taken back. It must be very frustrating to know you could have had a good life and you had an awful one thanks to a person that's not even blood related.
i hate story like this ............ and am sorry u went thru that. if some one gets hit by a car at a corner, we don't stop crossing at that corner. u will get marry one day cause now u know what not to do.

i wish you the best and again am sorry your parent did not work out. i only had one and i wish he was there for me. but i must live on. good luck to u, sweetheart

Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
Quote:
I just think it's impossible to think about relationships and exclude what I've seen between my parents. Marriage turned them into worse people and I don't that to happen to me. Of course the ultimate decision is mine, I was just looking for other's input.

I've congratulated my mother as well, for finally deciding to put an end to this situation. Oh don't take me wrong, she has always been a loving and caring mother. She's the best mother I could have. But her life would have obviously been better without us. At the very least, she probably regrets the father she chose for us.

well you got other's input. that's all.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,376 times
Quote:

Everyone is entitled to the pre-divorce ceremony of their choice, even you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships