Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,261,753 times

Advertisements

I texted a guy I am kind of seeing (as in we are likely to go out again) about my recent trip to the ER due to a rather bloody and painful injury. He texted back the usual niceties, but the text included this phrase "Poor kitten." And it was meant without sarcasm or irony. He also later used the endearment "kitty."

I'm not opposed to endearments AT ALL. I use them frequently with my friends and family members, and some of my nicknames bestowed upon me my friends and family are beyond ridiculous but... kitten????

I mentioned it to a friend from Ohio who thought it was sweet. I thought maybe my twitching may have been out of line. Another friend kind of thought it was strange. Then I mentioned it to my cousin back in Jersey - she is close to my age, married to her high school sweetheart and the mother of a 4-year-old child. We are very different and yet view each other as sisters. She started laughing. And continued to laugh. Then she started gasping. Asked me if the guy was joking around. I said "nope." And then she laughed some more.

Let's just say I'm not very kittenish.

And god forbid he use it while we are getting hot and heavy - talk about mood killer!

Any suggestions on how to gently discourage this or tactfully put things? It's kind of awful to reject someone's expression of affection, and this whole thing is in the very earliest stages of possibly turning into a relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,312,332 times
I've heard guys call girls kitten before, especially in the rockabilly crowd.

Text him back "please don't call me kitten, it makes me think you're calling me a p*ssy"

Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,336,904 times
Just be honest with him. Say something like:

I know you mean well and I think it's wonderful that you are so endearing but I don't care much for the petname "kitten". It makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,969,788 times
my two cents... it's not unusual at all and I had a ltr where this was my pet name for her (hers for me was *way* worse)

of course if you don't like it though it's not going to fly. why not just text/say back something like "how about a different pet name, tiger " the next time it happens. if he's slick he'll pick up on the vibe without too much awkwardness. better than letting it become habitual

don't let your cuz's ridicule make you think it's so strange. you two might feed off each other a bit and were in sync about your feelings on this particular name

Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,111,999 times
maybe he wants to pet you.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
my two cents... it's not unusual at all and I had a ltr where this was my pet name for her (hers for me was *way* worse)

of course if you don't like it though it's not going to fly. why not just text/say back something like "how about a different pet name, tiger " the next time it happens. if he's slick he'll pick up on the vibe without too much awkwardness. better than letting it become habitual

don't let your cuz's ridicule make you think it's so strange. you two might feed off each other a bit and were in sync about your feelings on this particular name
LOL, my cousin wasn't ridiculing it necessarily, just the idea that I might be viewed as a "kitten" (and no doubt imagining the look on my face when I saw the text) - I tended to be the person my relatives called whenever there was a problem when I was living in my hometown. I'm like a prettier version of Harvey Keitel's character in Pulp Fiction - and yes, I have had to solve problems involving the cleaning-up of excessive amounts of blood (nothing illegal involved). They definitely don't see me as adorably helpless or ineffectual or diminutive, which I think is implied by that particular endearment.

But your suggestions are definitely helpful!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,198,257 times
That is cute. No one has ever called me a, "kitten", I think I would like it. At 6'0", no one thinks I am "kittenish". Sadly.

I don't think you really like this guy.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That is cute. No one has ever called me a, "kitten", I think I would like it. At 6'0", no one thinks I am "kittenish". Sadly.

I don't think you really like this guy.
Actually, I do. He's brilliant (like seriously, seriously smart), attractive, inherently kind, humorous, a little offbeat and "gets" the concept of creativity. I just worry he's not really paying attention to who I am. He has a parent with a severely debilitating illness, and I think he's used to being a caretaker.

Being a bit of a caretaker myself, I know that sometimes you think that's your role in a romantic relationship. It took a long time (and a move across the country) for me to get to the point that I didn't seek to be that in each new relationship. So I wonder if he might not be doing what I used to do.

But I'm gonna save exploring that for another time.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:58 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,969,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Actually, I do. He's brilliant (like seriously, seriously smart), attractive, inherently kind, humorous, a little offbeat and "gets" the concept of creativity. I just worry he's not really paying attention to who I am. He has a parent with a severely debilitating illness, and I think he's used to being a caretaker.

Being a bit of a caretaker myself, I know that sometimes you think that's your role in a romantic relationship. It took a long time (and a move across the country) for me to get to the point that I didn't seek to be that in each new relationship. So I wonder if he might not be doing what I used to do.

But I'm gonna save exploring that for another time.
you might be overthinking it. maybe he just likes cats a lot and likes you a lot, and you guys cuddle

Old 11-25-2012, 11:59 AM

51,844 posts, read 52,235,316 times
I have so many cutesy pet names for Mrs. CHow, I think she forgets her real name.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships