Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,132,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I was being facetious.
I figured (based on the other thread ), but there are people who do genuinely think that way, and it's ridiculous.

But, it hearkens back to this silly notion that men and women can't be friends without there being some ulterior motive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I don't understand this rationale at all...
Maybe you should read my other post in this thread for your lack of understanding..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
But, it hearkens back to this silly notion that men and women can't be friends without there being some ulterior motive.

Very true. Definitely not the case, but many people subconsciously feed into that belief and add "fuel to the fire", so to speak..

It's basically just going a long with what the crowd thinks and not having your own set of rules/beliefs.

Last edited by nj21; 11-27-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenion View Post
Most men will look down upon women who go out and drink with men even if it's a get together like this.
Because men are stupid?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:54 AM

170 posts, read 205,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
OK so my coworkers and I were having a debate about this. So I thought it would be a great thread topic.

Quick summary of the situation:
Coworker got a note from a guy who works at one of our partners to meet up some time. She wants to go, because she wants to be friends. She has a boyfriend and has no interest that way. They both like specialty cocktails, and that is what prompted the invite.

So we started polling the men in my office.

They all said "if she asks you for drinks, she wants to hook up. Go out for coffee instead."

She was just thinking of it being a friendly happy hour, if she were to initiate an outing.

So guys, chime in? Do you agree with my maie coworkers? [The men were in their 20s and 30s]
The guys in your office gave you 'real world' typical guy answers... Alcohol is often used as an excuse and those guys know it...

Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
OK so my coworkers and I were having a debate about this. So I thought it would be a great thread topic.

Coworker got a note from a guy who works at one of our partners to meet up some time. She wants to go, because she wants to be friends. She has a boyfriend and has no interest that way. They both like specialty cocktails, and that is what prompted the invite.

They all said "if she asks you for drinks, she wants to hook up. Go out for coffee instead."

She was just thinking of it being a friendly happy hour, if she were to initiate an outing.

So guys, chime in? Do you agree with my maie coworkers? [The men were in their 20s and 30s]
Friendly happy hour my @ss. If she goes alone, she's looking for trouble. If she takes her boyfriend with her, then it's fine.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
If she invited me for drinks at happy hour and its just the two of us, then I would think she's interested(and I wouldn't go unless I was interested). If I got there and she told me she already had a boyfriend and wanted to be just friends I would throw a drink in her face.
Yep.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times
Quote:

If a woman asked me out for a drink I wouldnt think that she wants to "hook up", I would simply think that she wants to go out and drink. Maybe she doesnt want to go alone and wants some company.

MEN: Just because a woman TALKS to you or is NICE to you doesnt mean that she wants to "hook up" I wish guys would get out of that mindset.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
MEN: Just because a woman TALKS to you or is NICE to you doesnt mean that she wants to "hook up" I wish guys would get out of that mindset.
Many "MEN" are perfectly aware of that, thank you.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,132,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Many "MEN" are perfectly aware of that, thank you.
Many are, yes; but, apparently, not enough. At least, not judging from these responses and the responses of jade's male co-workers.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Lot of anti-guy BS on here like usual.

If the girl doesn't make the guy aware she has a boyfriend upfront in some way, regardless of bar or coffee, she's leading the other guy on and being sneaky.

If it were a guy with a girlfriend, same thing, he's need to let people know he has a GF. People need to be clear and up front about intentions. I'm sorry, we can play the "we just want to be friends" game, but thats all BS. Most people in their 20's are looking to date, hook up or whatever with the opposite sex. Yeah, there are the "lets be friends you're so interesting and we have a hobby in common" people, but more often than not, a cup of coffee with someone you'd normally be attracted to is not about friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships