Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,346 times

Advertisements

By love you mean big lightning bolts to the heart, where you can't eat and you can't work, and you just run off and get married and make babies. The reason you haven't felt is because it doesn't exist. What you call love was invented by guys like me...to sell nylons. - Donald Draper, Mad Men

There is some very sage advice here. The common theme running through the threads is of the need to be happy with yourself before entering a relationship. Unfortunately, many of us are expected to be partnered by the time we hit our mid-20s - and many of us haven't had a chance to really know and be happy with our authentic self before hand.

I wish I knew that. I spent my 20s trying to be someone else and ran from my true myself.

I am in a relationship now and living as close as I have ever been to my 'authentic self'. I am not in bliss, and the relationship is annoying at times, but overall it is nice to have companionship and support. I don't think having a partner will make you complete - if you think that way, you are heading for trouble - because no-one is 100% going to fulfill your ideal of a partner should be. That soul mate you are dreaming of will leave the toilet seat up, pee on the floor, have a headache when you went sex, occasionally forget anniversaries and put on weight. Learn to love yourself before loving another - it took me almost 20 years to learn that (and I still am learning it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 03:11 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
If I saw a border collie driving a car that would make me happy!

We are working on her opening a car door and then will go from there.

Good thread, strawberrykiki!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
I am pretty darn good at making myself happy.
Hmm... I thought I'd go blind if I tried that.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Single people - do you think a relationship would make you happier? People in relationships - does your relationship make you happier?

I find myself thinking if I had someone that I would be happier. Not that I'm super unhappy right now, but it does feel like something is missing sometimes. Yet when I think of the time I was in a serious relationship I was constantly miserable, so being single has to be better than being in a bad relationship.

Just a general question. What are your experiences?
I personally want someone in my life who knocks me off my feet pretty much.

However to be happy and fulfilled you have to be content with yourself first and foremost. I think having a good partner only enhances happiness, not creates it.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:18 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,054 times
Quote:
Hmm. I don't think I look to someone else to make me happy. I know they can't. I think what I'm saying is yeah my life is good...it's a good cake. But it needs icing. Like a relationship would be the icing on my cake. Certainly good relationships do make people happier than if they were alone? If you were 100% happy alone why would anyone seek out a relationship? Because an intimate relationship DOES give you happiness that's not attainable by yourself, right?
Well that changes the nature of your original post!

If you are happy and content in your current place in life, then adding someone to share that happiness and contentedness with is fantastic. Two happy and content people working to build a life together is an amazing thing. One happy person, who is also providing another person their happiness is draining and painful and likely short term.

1,452 posts, read 2,043,302 times
I'm completely content with being single. I love it. If that changes, the guy will be pretty darn special.

I was just in a three year relationship until somewhat recently. I can say that he's the only person I've ever truly loved but things just didn't work out - no one's fault, it just wasn't meant to be. I was ok with going back to being single because I'm 100% happy just being me.

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
For me, relationships are great the first 6 months or so
I agree with the above. Something about a new good relationship.
After around 6 months I have usually known if it was time to get out of the relationship, so continued happiness (albeit not as happy as < 6 months), or stress insued.
I also think being single is better then being in a bad relationship.

But overall, for me, being in a relationship doesn't make me happy, but it can make me happier, or more stressed, depending on which way the relationship is going.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Relationships don't MAKE you happy.
They just add to your happiness by allowing you to be around people you really enjoy.

A relationship itself does not make you happy or unhappy.

I am in a relationship with my wife NOT because I want to be in a relationship. It's because I want to be with my wife.

People who just go around looking for relationships...that's just a weird concept to me.

People who 'fizzle out' after six months only suck from relationships. They don't put anything into them. Or they pick all the wrong people.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:26 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
I'll admit I like being with someone it's nice to have someone to share things with. Being single isn't bad & yes you have to be happy with yourself before you can be happy with some one else. Although it seems just as your getting used to being single & living alone someone seems to pop into even if your not ready for them.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikake View Post
As a single woman, I am pretty darn good at making myself happy. Expecting other's to make me happy will happen right about the time my border collie learns how to drive a car.

I create my own happiness
I knew you were cool. I've got two border collies and a Catahoula leopard hound

As for the OP, well... I like the companionship of a relationship, the feel of being a team with someone I consider my partner. But given that a bad relationship can make you miserable, I'm fine with being single rather than wedging myself into a situation that isn't exactly what I want (not perfect, but that meets certain criteria). Good relationships are hard to find, and I'm not into settling.

But honestly, what I really miss about having a relationship is the easy access to (good) sex. Nothing more awesome than jumping a guy as soon as he walks in the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships