U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 04:04 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,518,778 times

Advertisements

... you are sterile. That's right, it is medically determined that you "shoot blanks." (Vasectomy is not a consideration).

Men: How would you feel if you received this news? Would it depend on your stage of life?

Women: If this was the guy you had planned your life around, and you came to learn this, would you drop him? Is there more to it? Does it depend on whether this is marriage #1 for you? Or would it be ok if you had children with another man, even though you could still have kids?

My answer: I think it would be weird to learn to you couldn't carry out a "bodily function" that is taken as a given. I think it might have been mildly distressing up to the mid-30s. Beyond that, I think it wouldn't matter much, as in "whew."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 04:07 PM

842 posts, read 1,050,089 times
Millions of guys are sterile by choice. Go figure.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:23 PM

12,425 posts, read 14,553,508 times
I think if a man was planning on having a family it would matter....my brother was married to a woman many years ago who found out she could never have children...the marriage ended, even though they still cared about each other...he now has the children he so desired...I think that it wouldn't matter at all except for this one big reason..kids...if you want them, then yes, it would matter, if not, then no, can't see why one would care, and it's definitely not weird at all.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 PM

16,416 posts, read 25,200,334 times
I'd get over it

Old 11-28-2012, 05:31 PM

15,732 posts, read 17,286,832 times
Depends on where we are in the relationship.

At this stage of my life I wouldn't care if he was sterile...I'd actually welcome it (4 kids, not planning on having anymore if I can help it!).

If I was dating someone casually...I'd probably lose interest. If I had been dating him long-term and we had plans on getting married that would be a very serious consideration.

I guess I can't answer the question except in the here and now, which would be "BONUS!"

Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,715,546 times
I'd be thrilled, as I don't want kids anyway.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:36 PM

23,003 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
I'd be thrilled, as I don't want kids anyway.
Ditto!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 PM

1,638 posts, read 2,471,026 times
I might be a bit upset, because I know my boyfriend talks about having our "own" children, but I personally would be okay with and actually want to adopt. If anything, I'd be concerned about my boyfriend and his feelings. I really wouldn't care either way. It certainly wouldn't make me reconsider our relationship. However, if he refused to consider adoption as a result we might have issues...

Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,518,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Ditto!
I'm beginning to think there's a lot of people out there who would have this reaction these days. I wonder if it's any different than it would have been in the Eisenhower era, or it's more of a reflection of those who post on Relationships. Who knows.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 PM

13,010 posts, read 12,440,016 times
My dad was shooting blanks. They used a sperm donor, and I never knew any difference. My dad is the one person I know has my back absolutely.

It was kind of funny - I didn't learn I wasn't his biological kid until my mid-20s, but I'd always viewed the idea of placing any value on biological ties as rather ridiculous. I had a lot of friends who were adopted and learned also how the strongest bonds in people's lives are often the ones they choose rather than the ones foisted upon them by random chance.

My father was furious when he found out (years after my mother gave me the information) that I knew the truth. He tried to blame it for the rifts in our relationship, which put me in the unique position of telling my father "We have problems because you're an a**hole, not because some stranger whacked off in a Dixie cup. The fact that you're an excellent dad, even though you're from a generation that wasn't that into adoption, and I never even suspected you weren't my biodad is sometimes the only thing that keeps me talking to you."

The ridiculous part is that he was totally ok with that. My dad - ok with being an ******* *eyeroll*

So if my S.O. couldn't have kids, I'd be totally ok with it. Wouldn't faze me in the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or