Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I bet her mama didn't. Lots of moms weren't teaching their children what makes a great husband, instead fixating on ensuring their daughters went to college in order to have control over their earning potential. They wanted their daughters to have a "better" life. They succeeded, as we can see women in their 40s have gone much further than any women before. And women in their 40s are unmarried are higher rates then before, and most are unhappy about it (though they won't admit it). It is a different skill set to teach, how to select a husband. It is a skill set that mothers abandoned teaching in the 60s in favor of teaching women's liberation. This is why I think it is important for women to discuss both with their daughters. So they can have a realistic idea of how life is shaped by personal choice.
Their daughters did and do have a better life. They have the freedom to choose. The fact that some women don't have a man in their 40s isn't because they chose their career. Many women have a career AND a husband...and oh my god they even manage to have kids as well. I work with these women. The women in their 40s who don't have a man have seldom NEVER had a boyfriend, they just haven't had a successful long term relationship.

You have such a skewed view based on your bitterness at your inability to score yourself a decent guy. Don't blame feminism for your own failures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
So the implication is that if you hadn't slept with these guys so soon, they would have fallen madly in love with you and proposed and you would be happily married with 2.5 kids now instead of bitter and alone?

Care to rethink that one?

Old 12-02-2012, 04:57 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Their daughters did and do have a better life. They have the freedom to choose. The fact that some women don't have a man in their 40s isn't because they chose their career. Many women have a career AND a husband...and oh my god they even manage to have kids as well. I work with these women. The women in their 40s who don't have a man have seldom NEVER had a boyfriend, they just haven't had a successful long term relationship.

You have such a skewed view based on your bitterness at your inability to score yourself a decent guy. Don't blame feminism for your own failures.
Some never married women in their 40s are happy with their personal lives, and some are not. That you can't accept that and instead sling a personal insult at me doesn't help your protect of modern-day feminism very much. You really can't see how bad this makes you look? Do you really think I am the bitter one here?

Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I didn't get past the second page. Have there ever been as many jerks posting on one thread? Thank you to the OP for letting women know what my brothers taught me before I started to date. Men will try to get you to have sex, but they will probably marry the one that does not. It is the same as with drugs. Just say "no" and you won't end up being used. The wedding ring comes first; then sex. That way the man you end up marrying will be less likely to be a jerk.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:05 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Well here is your real problem, why you have never been married. You refuse to settle. Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but it must be done: no one ever gets every thing he or she wants in a relationship; settling is a very important part of how a relationship functions. You will never, ever, ever find a man who will meet all of your criteria and will live the life that you want and will act exactly how you want in a relationship. That man does not exist. Just as a guy has to settle for you - because you really aren't bring enough to the table that you will ever find a man to bend to your whims and desires - you need to settle for him. That is what comprise is about. Settling. No comprimise = no relationship.
My only requirements are never married, childless and Catholic and I have seem to have found this guy and he seems interested in me if but a bit shy.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:05 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I didn't get past the second page. Have there ever been as many jerks posting on one thread? Thank you to the OP for letting women know what my brothers taught me before I started to date. Men will try to get you to have sex, but they will probably marry the one that does not. It is the same as with drugs. Just say "no" and you won't end up being used. The wedding ring comes first; then sex. That way the man you end up marrying will be less likely to be a jerk.
I generally agree, except I don't think you have to wait til marriage, but if you wait a bit, it at least weeds out a lot of guys right off of the bat......

Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
My only requirements are never married, childless and Catholic and I have seem to have found this guy and he seems interested in me if but a bit shy.

That is a tough list for a dude in his 40's.... I have 2 of the 3, but men like me are rare..........not braggin or anything... just saying....

Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
You guys expect the OP to compromise on dating men with kids? That's not something that you compromise on, IMO. She gave perfectly good reasons for this, IMO. And if she was a man, no one would suggest that she lower her standards on this issue.
I get it all the time, even when I explain why I am not open to this. I even posted an article earlier on that explains why a step parent might have to pay for the kids and yet people refused to read this. I always explain to them my reasons and they ignore them. Ironically my reasons are very sound from experience.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I didn't wait. Neither did my friends. We all ended up marrying wonderful men. So...

Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I get it all the time, even when I explain why I am not open to this. I even posted an article earlier on that explains why a step parent might have to pay for the kids and yet people refused to read this. I always explain to them my reasons and they ignore them. Ironically my reasons are very sound from experience.
You don't have to date men with children - but it would be nice if you stop talking about how you detest them and what scum they are. I don't think anyone has an issue with you being really picky - that's all fine and dandy - but you don't have to be so cruel to everyone else. It's just not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships