Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times

Advertisements

There has been more then one time in our lives that we've have said ENOUGH when someone rips our heart out. So for those who have said this, how long did it last before you climbed back on the horse?
Or are you still sticking to your guns? If so how is it working out for you? Do you regret making that decsion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,802 times
My last breakup was a very long and painful process. I'd say it took about 5 months to the point where I knew I'd never get back with her if it were my decision. I tried dating at this time but the woman I dated realized I wasn't ready and not over my ex. Then I realized I was carrying a chip and it was bothering me in an angry kind of way. I did something a little crazy and wrote my ex an email about trying to be friends. She had agreed to it but the tone of her words and they way she spoke to me on the phone was not something I appreciated, she sounded patronizing and as if she was talking down to me. I realize that this girl was just stupid and I cut off all contact. It actually helped me get over her a little faster than before.

Then a little over a year since breakup I got back into dating after a long break but I wasn't "feeling" the desire to date. I wasn't eager to go on dates I had set up and found myself wanting to do something else instead. I didn't enjoy the dates and I even met a couple women that were great but I just wasn't feeling it with them. I recently jumped back on the horse and I did meet a girl that I've been on a few dates with that I actually talked to a few times before meeting, we got along great and I was actually looking forward to meeting her so it's going well so far, just taking it one step at a time.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,302 times
I had an amicable ending, and I never swore off men or anything but like I said in another thread, I'm constantly finding reasons to not let guys in, even if they seem great. Maybe I'll cut it out when I find the right person. I'm probably just scared of another relationship ending - albeit for the right reasons - because it is still one of the worst feelings.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 PM

681 posts, read 618,371 times
what reasons do you use to justify not letting them in?

Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM

I don't justify it, I know I'm doing it but instead of giving a long song & dance, I just end it and say that I don't want to waste their time because I don't feel it going anywhere.

In my defence, one guy was a little bit much and even if I was 100% emotionally available, it probably wouldn't have worked. Wanting to hang out every single night HE was available and acting like a child if I had other plans. Gear down there, big rig.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 PM

681 posts, read 618,371 times
so then why do you continue to date if that is the case? shouldn't you just take a step back and heal until you are emotionally available?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:01 PM

Because I'm honestly a huge believer that when a person is right for me, I'll know it. And besides that, I've always been this way - even before my last major relationship. I've always found reasons not to date or continue to date people, and guess what? When my last boyfriend came around, I cut the crap because he was worthwhile pursuing.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:23 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
Depends how long I dated the person and how much I cared about them as to how long I need. When my marriage ended I didn't date for a long time. Actually it was over in February and in May I dated someone for about a month and realized I just was not ready. Then I didn't date anyone for a year. Not even a first date, nothing.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:26 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,835,892 times
Can't remember how long, but after my first heartbreak I made a promise to myself to never allow myself to become jaded. Wiser--yes, jaded--hell no. Love is the best feeling in the world for me --especially when its special between two lovers. Working out wonderfully for me! Regrets--heck no.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:34 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
In my youth, I could never seem to resist the painful agony of heartbreak. I reveled in my self-pity. But, as I grew older, I think I learned you get what you expect and the expectation of agony was replaced by the expectation of love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships