Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times

Advertisements

If you are buying it yourself, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:07 AM

290 posts, read 567,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I'm cool with a woman spending her own money on whatever she wants as long as she's paid all the bills and stuff first. I don't buy toys unless I'm all paid up.

So, basically, as long as bills are paid she can buy whatever she wants... As long as I can do the same.
I'm financially responsible. I pay the bills and give some money to my family. I'm putting some kids to school. I send money to them every month (They live in a poor Asian country). I'm giving back what I have received in the past.
When I'm in a relationship, I'm not frugal. I buy my bf expensive things. I bought my ex bf a coach briefcase which cost about $700. An LV wallet for $500. I buy other people expensive things too.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missganda View Post
Lol I'm not. I admitted I maybe overspending on some things. Its because those are the things that I want. I've been working since I was 10 (grew up in Asia). I was poor growing up. Supported myself to finish school. I have experienced things that you guys may have not experience growing up with no money and food to eat. When I was young, my parents would buy me a pair of shoes and one nice clothing to wear only on Christmas and that's all I get for the whole year. If I wanted anything else, I had to work harder to get it.

I did not start dating until I was financially stable. I focused myself to finishing college and working to support myself. I have had sacrificed alot to be where I am now and to be able to help my family financially. People here who are judging me maybe don't know what "living" means. Go live in one of the poor countries and experience what real life is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missganda View Post
I'm financially responsible. I pay the bills and give some money to my family. I'm putting some kids to school. I send money to them every month (They live in a poor Asian country). I'm giving back what I have received in the past.
When I'm in a relationship, I'm not frugal. I buy my bf expensive things. I bought my ex bf a coach briefcase which cost about $700. An LV wallet for $500. I buy other people expensive things too.
I'm sorry (and please try not to be offended by this) but please don't be the living breathing stereotype of a label "heaux" Asian immigrant.

Buying all of the Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Coach, Dooney & Bourke, etc that you can "afford" will not change a thing about your background or life experiences. And it also does not make you look as if you are wealthy or successful. It just makes you seem materialistic and a label chaser.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:58 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I'm sorry (and please try not to be offended by this) but please don't be the living breathing stereotype of a label "heaux" Asian immigrant.

Buying all of the Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Coach, Dooney & Bourke, etc that you can "afford" will not change a thing about your background or life experiences. And it also does not make you look as if you are wealthy or successful. It just makes you seem materialistic and a label chaser.
You have to understand, for the better part of the past thousand years and more, our societies have tended to be extremely rigid, hierarchical, static and status-based. It's only in the past century or so that Japan has modernized, in the past few decades China has instituted a new capitalist policy, Korea is growing, the South-East Asian countries for the most part are growing as well. By the 1950s and 60s, FDR's New Deal had cemented the meteoric rise of the American middle class; in contrast, the middle class of most second-world Asian nations have only just now begun to grow and have the opportunity to go overseas themselves or send their kids overseas.

So there is nothing more important for Asian parents seeking to send their kids overseas to instill in them values of education and social-mobility. To you who have grown up in successive generations of relative wealth (I don't even mean middle class here, because even lower-middle class households in the West are far better off than their equivalents in India or China), her attitude stinks of Nouveau rich pretension, but to her, it really signifies that her life is getting better. It is easy to judge others on materialism when you take materials for granted, whatever they may be, house, car, financial stability, a good education, good clothing, fine meals.

One more thing to add: giving gifts to others or paying for the full bill at restaurants is not something only immigrants do. The practices have been around a long time in Chinese culture, at any rate. We value generosity very highly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships