Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM

120 posts, read 195,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Something fishy here...

Quote: ["My girlfriend of 2 years ended up being a possible scammer (met on Craigslist)"]

Quote: ["I met this woman online a couple years ago thru working ( not a dating site )"]

Why did you say different things?

If you can be honest about that, it will help you the most. Sort of like going to a car mechanic and having brake problems and not telling him what is wrong. If you don't tell the mechanic what the problem is, how can you expect him to fix it?

At no point in this thread was I being dishonest. We met online on Craigslist for an online working project. We worked together talked on the phone everyday and eventually that's how it all started. Didn't meet in the singles section I wasn't out looking for a date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 01:05 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Really? Craigslist, & asking for money almost from day one didn't raise a red flag? OP, you must have been very emotionally needy. Live and learn, but still, if those emotional issues haven't been addressed, you're still vulnerable.

Needy? Yes. I just don't understand the "boyfriend/girlfriend for (period of time) but have never met face to face" dynamic.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 PM

120 posts, read 195,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Needy? Yes. I just don't understand the "boyfriend/girlfriend for (period of time) but have never met face to face" dynamic.
I know. I've been a complete fool. That was the first time ever doing anything like that and will be the last. For some reason I thought it would work I guess because we are from same area. But 2 years later and still no closer to seeing her....she hasn't contacted me in a few days and I haven't contacted her either

Old 12-08-2012, 01:26 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
And why would you EVER contact her when she ripped you off of 20 grand?

Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast8 View Post
I know. I've been a complete fool. That was the first time ever doing anything like that and will be the last. For some reason I thought it would work I guess because we are from same area. But 2 years later and still no closer to seeing her....she hasn't contacted me in a few days and I haven't contacted her either
Time to block her phone number, mark her emails as spam and move on with your life. Hopefully you've learned your lesson because it certainly was an expensive one.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
But OP, not only did she take your money, again and again and again, she didn't even have to be polite about it. She was able to be chronically verbally abusive toward you, and that didn't stop the flow of money. Does that tell you something? You're habituated to abuse, due to your upbringing. Seek help. Heal.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Well anyway my advice to you would be to LIMIT your contacts with anyone you meet online until AFTER you have met them in person. So maybe a few emails back and forth or a phone call, then meet in person. If they don't want to meet, then move on to someone else.

Some people will play games and never intend to meet anyone. Also you might get a computer programmer designing a "BOT" (robot) which attempts to mimic a real person. They want to see how long it can go back and forth with emails before you figure out what is going on. Asking for a voice conversation will quickly put an end to that!

And a "clue" it is a BOT is that it does not specifically respond to anything you said in your email. The responses are sort of like a Horoscope - very general messages which could apply to anyone.

And as you now know, NEVER give anyone money you meet online. If they date you in person for 1 year, then giving them money after that would be a different matter. Anyone just looking for money would drop out of the picture long before that.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:50 PM

245 posts, read 386,029 times
i think you already know you got scammed. there's no such thing as being in a relationship when you haven't met in person. a classic long distance dating scam, is to present a problem, which can be solved with money, not asking for it, but letting the other person offer.

what she's did may be illegal. how did you get the money to her? do you have her address? she's going to continue doing this to you and/or others. you should document everything, checks, phone and email records and take her to small claims. if it's a loan, it's a loan and she owes you. at the very least, she will have a judgement against her and it will deter her from scamming others.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:56 PM

630 posts, read 1,049,002 times
im starting to think that craigslist is a breeding ground for people who need psychiatric help

Old 12-08-2012, 02:16 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Sorry you experienced this in addition to the difficult childhood. Experience is a great teacher though. This person (Whoever it really was) was just a con artist. People like this draw in those that are looking for companionship and given the many stories we have heard some are still successful at it and the computer can create a false sense of intimacy. The internet can be great for many things however esp in dating there is no way to have a real relationship-Even with a legitimate person until you have spent time with them in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships