Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,846 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the forum and I have a lot of thoughts that I want to get out. There is a distinct difference between someone being a part of your Life and someone being your Life. When someone is a part of your life; you are able to balance your individual live while balancing your own life. When someone is your life, you've decided to neglect your individual Life and carjack someone's.

When you lost your identity in a relationship (You lose who you are) every choice, decision, thought, and action is geared towards your significant other. You live your life for your significant other and that is completely unhealthy. Some people believe that giving all of who they are is right. It is right; however, you’re not supposed to lose yourself in the process. People can still give all of who they are by opening up every aspect of their lives and allowing another individual to share the different aspects of his or her lives.

Someone Is A Part of Your Life
-Individuals share their individual Lives
-Individual Identity is Present
-Happiness is within and is shared mutually
-Sharing

Someone Being Your Life

-An individual is your Life
-No identity; you lost who you were or "Lost yourself" in the relationship
-The illusion that the other individual can only make you happy
-Needing

I've observed that some people go into a relationship with a "Need" mindset and "Sharing" expectations. These are opposites. Which may be one reason why some struggle in relationships.

According to Webster’s Dictionary, a “Need” is defined by a physiological or psychological requirement for the well being of an organism. When I hear women say “I need a man/bf/husband in my life to make me happy, feel special, etc”; they must actually need men to feel whole right? So by them stating that requirement, they are really saying that the essence of their life is and will be in the hands of the man whom she depends on for that necessity?

Think about it like this. In order to exist, I need myself because without me, I am nothing; I do not exist. So for someone to think he or she “Needs” someone is to say he or she is nothing; they do not exist-without having someone in their lives to complete that “Need”. So I ask you...what do you need from a man or woman?

Answer: Nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 01:50 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
I need to be touched by other people... Touching myself with my hand does not cut it!

The Psychology of Touch | Therapy Stew

Sensory deprivation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships