Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Who is the one that will take the kids and pick them up from daycare each day and who is the one that will be taking time off work for sick kids and dr. appointments? These are things that will limit the position she is able to take. Are you willing to cut back your work hours and availability to take on some of that responsibility.
Working 3 out of 5 years while carrying and birthing two kids is nothing to sneeze at. Im not sure why you are pressuring her to get a high paying full time job soon out of school with 3 years work exp. and two kids. Its a tough job market out there.
I will be the one who does that most of the time, mainly because I'm the one who has a vehicle to do so (my wife doesn't have one but she does have a license). That goes without saying. The teaching professional is very difficult to just take off when you want to and I have been well aware of this and have dealt with this with our oldest child. I have a much more stable job, I have more leave and work an alternate schedule to take our children to appointments. That even happens now. I'm not sure what this has to do with the topic. Like anything with parenting, you have to find a way to make it all work. I get the feeling from some of the comments, that I'm being perceived as one of these fathers/husbands who complains but doesn't do anything to help. My wife would be the first one to tell you, I'm extremely involved. And no I'm not pressuring her to get a high paying job. If you believe that is my motivation then you haven't understand what my real issue is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think the issue in its entirety is whether being a SAHM is feasible with their financial situation in the area that they currently live in which as a fellow resident I can vouch is a very high COL area.
Thank you for bringing some sanity to this conversation. It is starting to feel like this is turning into a feminist/male bashing party. People are not even trying understand my point, they just see the title and just assume I'm being unreasonable and don't care what she goes through.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
If she was planning on being a stay at home mom why rack up huge amounts of college debt? You guys are going to be living hand to mouth for along time now.
She didn't really plan on being a stay at home mom. I think she has had some bad experiences as a teacher and combining that with being a mother makes her apprehensive about the type of job she takes. I definitely understand why she feels that way but it's not realistic considering our current situation. That's why I suggested conceding staying in this region and moving to a less COL place until we are more situated with our debt situation.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:00 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
What age group did she teach? Would she consider working in a daycare? That would resolve the issue of having to find daycare for the kids and also I've found that daycares are often more flexible with their schedules. My step mom is a teacher now, but ran a preschool for several years while her children were still very young.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:17 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Thank you for bringing some sanity to this conversation. It is starting to feel like this is turning into a feminist/male bashing party. People are not even trying understand my point, they just see the title and just assume I'm being unreasonable and don't care what she goes through.
I understand what you are saying. Believe me, my husband works full-time but also contributes to the "boots on the ground" approach that is required in parenting. He used to get offended when other dads talked about "babysitting" their kids as if they are not the parent also.

I have gone back and forth as a WAHM, SAHM and working mom, and they all have trade-offs. Once when we were calculating how much life insurance to buy for me and my husband, our financial advisor calculated that my husband would need to pay at least two people more than $100K per year (total) to do what I do as a SAHM. As you know, working + paying child care is NOT always the best option.

How old are your kids??

Old 12-10-2012, 11:25 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
She didn't really plan on being a stay at home mom. I think she has had some bad experiences as a teacher and combining that with being a mother makes her apprehensive about the type of job she takes. I definitely understand why she feels that way but it's not realistic considering our current situation. That's why I suggested conceding staying in this region and moving to a less COL place until we are more situated with our debt situation.
You know many people in the greatest generation worked jobs they weren't particularly fond of so that they could support their families and get by.

Just because she had some bad experiences, doesn't mean the career path isn't desirable... I mean she spent probably Six figures in student loans getting the degree right?

-- Edit just had a thought - She could be a nanny for other's kids and still be able to take care of yours at the same time. Easy money right there, but throw the idea out there and see if she is just blowing smoke about working or serious.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
What age group did she teach? Would she consider working in a daycare? That would resolve the issue of having to find daycare for the kids and also I've found that daycares are often more flexible with their schedules. My step mom is a teacher now, but ran a preschool for several years while her children were still very young.
She teaches elementary. She doesn't want to do any younger kids than that. She is exhausted from taking care of kids.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I understand what you are saying. Believe me, my husband works full-time but also contributes to the "boots on the ground" approach that is required in parenting. He used to get offended when other dads talked about "babysitting" their kids as if they are not the parent also.

I have gone back and forth as a WAHM, SAHM and working mom, and they all have trade-offs. Once when we were calculating how much life insurance to buy for me and my husband, our financial advisor calculated that my husband would need to pay at least two people more than $100K per year (total) to do what I do as a SAHM. As you know, working + paying child care is NOT always the best option.

How old are your kids??
My kids are 3 years old and 5 months. I agree with you about child care. It's not easy which is why I think she is frustrated and the post that Dissenter posted earlier speaks to this. In the DC area, we have some of the most expensive child care in the country. Trying to get a job that doesn't negate her salary is difficult. With that said, there are some jobs that do pay way more than our child care would cost, but she doesn't want to apply to them.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
You know many people in the greatest generation worked jobs they weren't particularly fond of so that they could support their families and get by.

Just because she had some bad experiences, doesn't mean the career path isn't desirable... I mean she spent probably Six figures in student loans getting the degree right?

-- Edit just had a thought - She could be a nanny for other's kids and still be able to take care of yours at the same time. Easy money right there, but throw the idea out there and see if she is just blowing smoke about working or serious.
Her student loans aren't that bad but they are not too far off from that figure. I agree with your point about having jobs that aren't the greatest, but she seems too comfortable with the way things are and I think that is driving the lack of motivation to apply to all jobs instead of the 'ideal' ones.

She doesn't want to be a nanny.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
Quite the opposite. its the fact i find the right girl every time but I just cant allow myself to reach that level..i just cant do it. Thats the most miserable part of it all. Wanting but not being able to.

Too risky. its depressing.

its better just to be alone..im hoping not to meet anyone for a while. Advance in my career.Take care of me and only me.
That's for you to sort out, and it doesn't mean other men have the same problems. Obviously the OP has already made the commitment of marriage and family with this woman. You getting on here talking about prenups and how people can "flip" and so on is not going to help him or anyone else in a similar situation in any way. They're already past you on the continuum, and they're certainly not going to throw away their wives and kids because other men have intimacy problems. If you ever do overcome your fears and make a similar commitment, you'll understand a bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships